Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 11-02-2010, 12:59 AM   #61
average_cc

Its a lighting fixture, Arcpod by Arcadia.
[/QUOTE]

Cool veri hi-tec looking so is ur tank set-up.....
Old 12-02-2010, 12:02 AM   #62
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by average_cc View Post
Cool veri hi-tec looking so is ur tank set-up.....
Thank you average_cc.
Old 13-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #63
JadeIceGreen

Update

I decided to skip the ADA Nile Sand as I'm on a tight budget after feeding a lot of funds into another hobby of mine. One that is even more expensive than ADA.

Here, I am using the same sand that I used in the original tank. Its Angel Sand from Petmart, really economical in pricing.

Before using sand in the aquascape, it is imperative to give it a good wash to get rid of dust, dirt, etc. Sand carries a lot of such stuffs with it as it is so fine, so a lot of washing is needed compared to normal gravel. Personally, I give it about five washes.

Pre-washed sand, this is when CNY containers come in handy!

Water is filthy from all the foreign particles, as you wash it multiple times, the water will clear up.

Old 13-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #64
JadeIceGreen

Update

Once enough sand has been cleaned for use, the existing Corydoras tank is drained to about 50 percent to facilitate moving. For those who do not know, do not ever try to move a full tank, you will be placing huge structural stress on the tank's silicon joints of the type that it was never designed for, or meant to handle.

Another thing about changing from an existing setup to a new one is that you will want to keep you filter running as long as possible. This is to ensure the maximum amount of filter bacteria in your new setup which will mean that the new setup kicks in, as soon as possible. In a situation in which your filter will not be running for more than 30 minutes, it is advisable to empty the filter of water instead. ADA research has shown that oxygen levels become significantly low at the 30 minutes mark, which will mean a significant drop of filter bacteria. (NA, 2009) The draining of water from the filter will allow air to continue to feed the filter bacteria and buy you more time. However, its always best to reduce the amount of time that the filter is switched off. In my case, my filter was switched off for a total of 20 minutes and I did drain the water out of it.

Half empty tank, just enough to keep the filter running.

My method of draining water from my tank is by using a Eheim tube with two double taps. The double taps will keep water in the tube and this saves me from manually creating a suction at every water change. My double taps came from the Sanzon Iwagumi setup, for those that do not have double taps, you may want to think of another solution as they are not cheap.

My water change pail and Eheim tube with double taps. It is during such water changes that I am usually glad I have a small tank, but it won't be enough to keep me from having a big one in the future.

After the existing tank is taken down, the blue aquarium mat, courtesy of N30 is place on the bookshelf, the tank is then placed on top of it. All in all, a tank made perfectly to my measurements. Many thanks to N30.

Aquarium Mat to ensure even weight is spread out. Not so critical for small tanks like this but still its nice to have

A perfect fit, I am a happy man.

In the next update, we'll talk about the layering of substrate. I would also like to take the opportunity to wish all Chinese a very Happy Chinese New Year!

Reference,
Nature Aquarium Catalog, 2009. Page 53.
Old 13-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #65
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

nice new tank, any idea why your new tank's back glass is taller?
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #66
A.SickLids
Arofanatic

My guess is, it is designed so that TS is able to hang the liberty HOF at a higher level
A.SickLids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #67
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
nice new tank, any idea why your new tank's back glass is taller?
Keen eyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.SickLids View Post
My guess is, it is designed so that TS is able to hang the liberty HOF at a higher level
That is correct but main reason was for my Arcadia Arc-pod.
Old 14-02-2010, 02:48 AM   #68
ahhKiatz
Dragon

My all time fav thread. Inspire me to do more scaping for my corys.
ahhKiatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #69
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhKiatz View Post
My all time fav thread. Inspire me to do more scaping for my corys.
Thank you ahhKiatz. Do create a thread to share with the rest of us when you are scaping.
Old 14-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #70
fishy07

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post

As recommended by some Corydoras keepers, I am feeding mine Hikari's algae wafers and carnivore tablets. I've personally used Hikari food exclusively for all my fishes (except shrimp) and I always get good results with it.

I am feeding 1 algae wafer in the evening and 3 carnivore tablets in the morning. They adore the carnivore tablets, reminds me of kids eating french fries, they simply go crazy and see who can eat the most.
Hi JadeIceGreen,

Do you just throw the wafer and carnivore pellets into the tank whole, or do you break them up into smaller pieces first? As corys have tiny mouths, will they be able eat easily? Thanks.