Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Aquatic Showcase & Photography > Aquatic Photography

Old 28-03-2005, 01:42 AM   #1
alvin24

Default 350D pics

hi guys.. anyone use the new 350d and took some pics....can share with us the setting....? on any fish will do... cos i am getting one and wanting to take some pics
Old 28-03-2005, 02:35 AM   #2
Encriptic

bro how much is the 350d gonna cost with the lens kit?
Old 28-03-2005, 10:17 AM   #3
benny

I think the set with kit lens will cost about S$1700 to S$1800, depending on which shop you buy from.

As for settings, I'm sad to say there's is no one magic setting. Every setup is different. A better understanding of photography will give you better results.

There's quite a few good tips in the previous threads, especially the one on arowana written by Vil. Have a look and I'm sure you will find it useful.

Cheers,
Old 28-03-2005, 09:38 PM   #4
alvin24

anyone know wat lens for 350D is the best for fish tank photoshot?

someone recommend me 50mm f1.8. but i dont wat does that mean cos I am a newbie... care to explain anyone one?
Old 28-03-2005, 10:07 PM   #5
marshy

Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin24
anyone know wat lens for 350D is the best for fish tank photoshot?

someone recommend me 50mm f1.8. but i dont wat does that mean cos I am a newbie... care to explain anyone one?
50mm f1.8 means that this lens is a very bright lens (sometimes known as very fast lens).
Think of it this way... the "f" number indicates how big the lens aperture (hole where light goes into the lens) is. The bigger the aperture (the bigger the hole), the more light goes into the lens. In this case, the "f" number is inversely propertional to aperture size. E.g. f1.8 == big aperture, f22 -> very small aperture.

The reason you want a very bright/fast lens is that the more light that enters the lens, the faster your shutter speed of the camera. A slow shutter speed will give you motion blur as your subject moves. It makes it worst if your tank lighting is not very bright and your subject moves quickly.

So... a bright lens would allow you to have a faster shutter speed and hence able to capture your subject better.

However, there is an issue of depth of field concerned with the "f" number (called the f-stop actually). But that is another story altogether.

Hope you catch some ball here bro
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 01:32 AM   #6
coldfish

hi,

just want to chip in my 0.02...

This is what you called a prime lens.
There is no zoom, 50mm. Fixed. But of course you need to multiply it by 1.6 here but that's another story...

I've got this lens but I don't know why anyone should recommend you this lens at all simply because it's primarily used for portraiture shots which gives very nice blurred background while the subject is focused (bokeh).

However, it just cut it to take fishes. While the f-stops are nice but you not only need higher f-stop number to take fishes (refer to SLR here, DC don't apply), you also need fast autofocus and that's exactly where this lens fails.

As a starter, you should consider a standard zoom lens instead. Otherwise, just go with the kit lens: it's macro mode is very very good.

Disclaimer:

Those are just my experiences to share only. You may have your prefered lens and not strictly based on my opinions.
Old 29-03-2005, 01:42 AM   #7
marshy

Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfish
hi,

just want to chip in my 0.02...

This is what you called a prime lens.
There is no zoom, 50mm. Fixed. But of course you need to multiply it by 1.6 here but that's another story...

I've got this lens but I don't know why anyone should recommend you this lens at all simply because it's primarily used for portraiture shots which gives very nice blurred background while the subject is focused (bokeh).

However, it just cut it to take fishes. While the f-stops are nice but you not only need higher f-stop number to take fishes (refer to SLR here, DC don't apply), you also need fast autofocus and that's exactly where this lens fails.

As a starter, you should consider a standard zoom lens instead. Otherwise, just go with the kit lens: it's macro mode is very very good.

Disclaimer:

Those are just my experiences to share only. You may have your prefered lens and not strictly based on my opinions.
Hehe.. I have the 50mm f1.4.
When I take fish pics I use manual focus.
Much faster and better this way.
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 02:56 AM   #8
alvin24

thanks thanks..for both advice... would like to know more....maybe one day we could meet up...hehehe...
Old 29-03-2005, 02:57 AM   #9
alvin24

i think i will try on the kit lens first if it fails to take good pics then i will change the lens to 50mm f1.4.. btw how much is both lens of 50mm f1.4/1.8?
Old 29-03-2005, 01:52 PM   #10
loupgarou

50mm/f1.4 is in the $500-$600 REGION

50mm/f1.8 is in the $120-$150 region.

check out www.clubsnap.org for second hand stuff..
--

in my opinion, for taking small fish like tetras, apisto, corydoras. canon 100mm f/2.8 macro usm, or the new ef-s 60mm are good choice.

for larger critters, or full tank shots, you need a wide angle.

I've already tested out and anything below 22mm isn't very ideal (cos of perspective perspective and compression). i'm using a EF-S 10-22 at the 22mm for my tank shots, but I'm going to try sigma 30mm f/1.4 and see how one day.

meanwhile, you can stick to the kit lens EF-S 18-55, it covers most of the range you need and if you shoot at f/8-f/11, its quite good, so you may not need another wide angle unless you outgrow the lens.