Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 18-02-2005, 07:00 PM   #11
kelloggs

Default uv

Hi dolby, UV steriliser will oxidise the fertiliser in your planted tank, rendering them useless for your plant.

Perhaps you may focus on the cause of cloudiness. Assuming your tank is fully cycled and bio load is not too heavy and you had planted heavily, a common cause of cloudiness after water change may be due to bacterial bloom.

Typically, if water change is more than 50 percent, BB is unable to overcome the extra load of fresh water with chlorine, hence the cloudiness. The equation is this- Chlorine kills BB and fresh BB in the process of establishing and we have baterial bloom which causes the cloudiness. It is just like the new tank syndrome.

What most of the hobbyists always do is to keep water change below 50% and add on a reliable anti-chlorine in accordance with the recommended dosage.

If you really do not have patience to wait for the water to clear, add those commercial stuff like Clear Away or Geoliquid. I hardly use them but it worked for my tank when just set up without causalties.
Old 18-02-2005, 07:07 PM   #12
dOlBy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelloggs
Hi dolby, UV steriliser will oxidise the fertiliser in your planted tank, rendering them useless for your plant.

Perhaps you may focus on the cause of cloudiness. Assuming your tank is fully cycled and bio load is not too heavy and you had planted heavily, a common cause of cloudiness after water change may be due to bacterial bloom.

Typically, if water change is more than 50 percent, BB is unable to overcome the extra load of fresh water with chlorine, hence the cloudiness. The equation is this- Chlorine kills BB and fresh BB in the process of establishing and we have baterial bloom which causes the cloudiness. It is just like the new tank syndrome.

What most of the hobbyists always do is to keep water change below 50% and add on a reliable anti-chlorine in accordance with the recommended dosage.

If you really do not have patience to wait for the water to clear, add those commercial stuff like Clear Away or Geoliquid. I hardly use them but it worked for my tank when just set up without causalties.
I think it's because of my constant water change & it doesn't allow the bateria to stablise. Thanks for the advice, will wait for a few days more to see if situation.