Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 20-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
nikitanain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediacraze View Post
If you want to keep Oranda.

Keep the floor clean and do not put rocks/ DW.

Oranda shit more than all other goldfish type. Gravel will trap all the shit and no matter how hard working you are in cleaning will not help and will create problem soon to come.

Oranda are fast swimmer and they have big fan tail. We keep Oranda becos we like to see them swim with the wavering of tail. Rocks/ DW, decorative stuff will scratch and damage their tail. The Oranda will not look good swimming with damage or torn tail right.

Just sharing my thought
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnSun View Post
Bare bottom is best as it's offer lesser problem and cleaning but it's a matter for individual choice. If you have to use grave then keep it to 2cm depth and size a mixture or fine (aids digestion) and coarse (> 4mm so they are unlightly to be swallowed). The downside is you have to do a lot vacuuming weekly to remove all the crap that are trap in between otherwise anaerobic bacteria will thrive. Also I found that placing one filter intake at each end (long tanks) will help to suck up the poop and minimize this problem. Deco rock are ok for me, so long their surface are smooth. Plants, I will go for anubias, they look good and are very hardy and also are a good nitrate remover. Have fun.
Cheers
Thank you for the information.. All right I shall not put any gravel and I shall put minimal decorations, I shall not use any decorations with sharp edges.. As suggested I shall put 2 filters, one at each side of the tank.. I doubt if I will use live plants, I may use plastic plants..
Old 20-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
goalkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediacraze View Post
If you want to keep Oranda.

Keep the floor clean and do not put rocks/ DW.

Oranda shit more than all other goldfish type. Gravel will trap all the shit and no matter how hard working you are in cleaning will not help and will create problem soon to come.

Oranda are fast swimmer and they have big fan tail. We keep Oranda becos we like to see them swim with the wavering of tail. Rocks/ DW, decorative stuff will scratch and damage their tail. The Oranda will not look good swimming with damage or torn tail right.

Just sharing my thought
can't agree more with this. well said, bro. best is bare tank with oyama paper as background and base and you still can enjoy the elegant swimming of your gf amid that blue or black background. if you really want to put rocks/pebbles, must make sure no sharp edges. it takes only time to get used to the new look of your tank. the centerpiece should be your gfs. another option to consider is to have algae on the base or walls of the tank. serve as food for them too. but some don't like because the uneven growth may have a "dirty" look. i've seen gf tanks will base and back of the wall fully covered with algae and looks very beutiful/natural. enjoy your new hobby.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
nikitanain

Thank you for the information..

Unfortunately I had to add gravel to the tank since its a show tank.. I am changing 30% water every 3 days and I clean the glass with every water change.. I am also siphoning the gravel, under the rock and under other decorations..

I have 6 goldfish in a 75 gallon tank (4.5 feet length x 1.5 feet width x 1.5 feet height)

Here is a pic of the setup..
Old 03-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #14
goalkeeper

nice set up you have. i think as long as you maintain your maintenance regime, it should be ok. also your fish is not too many or too huge, and therefore water quality should not get worst so fast compare to more populated tank. enjoy!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
UnSun

Thumbs up Beautiful setup

Wow, so hard working, w/c every 3 days, clean glass plus vacuum too. Your fish are lucky
My maintenance regiment is w/c 50% every wk and vacuum, clean glass on all sides bi-wkly. 3 large long tailed pearscales on 200L tank.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #16
nikitanain

Thank you Goal Keeper and UnSun
Old 08-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
nikitanain

Quick update - I decided to remove the gravel since it was making the job of cleaning the tank very hard.. I added some artificial plants and decorations instead, I shall take a pic of the tank today..

Thank you everyone who replied to this thread, I appreciate it