Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 10-09-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
blackgf
Arofanatic

Default My newly setup - Oranda

I m bored so decided to keep goldfish to kill time . Brought a 4ft tank with cabinet. Been doing alot of read up about water, tank, fish, filter bla bla management. I thought i m ready but i dead wrong .

My simple setup, went to C328 brought the OHF, Dymax pump and alot of fish accessories and some plants too.

Next, cycle my water for almost a week, machiam like new car got to run-in!!! Brought a sucker fish to test drive the water for a day or two, its survive!!! The very next day brought a super chio blackie oranda. The blackie makes it too. Brought another couple of Redkie oranda, i thought that is end of the story but i m dead wrong.

Within a day white spot found on most of the Redkie except the blackie. Remember the sucker tester fish, gone in 60 seconds. Panic, change water about 30% and add alot of salt but unable to get it right. 2 Redkies follow suit, up lorry that is, i think tml another Redkie is going to join them (up lorry).

Tml first thing in the morning will get those aniti white spot medicine for the fishes. Strangely, most of the Redkie got the white spot except the blackie, any particular reason for this?

Below is some of the pics to share with you guys, feel free to comment ya.

cheerios

blackgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
leo lim
Dragon

Also learning from bros/sis here. But was told by my friend that it is strongly advisable not to buy fishes in different batches. As new batches of fishes will transfer its diseases to the first batch. But in this case yr 2nd batch (ie the black Oranda) is ok...then abit puzzle liao
leo lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
mediacraze
Dragon

Bro, search more about cycling of tank. Especially for a new tank.

You need to run the tank for at least 1 week without filter to get rid of silicon smell and any trace of toxic. Remember, your tank is brand new tank.
mediacraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
blackgf
Arofanatic

Thanks for e advice!!

Today went to LFS got e white spot medicine but no mc for e gf . Anyway 4 gf donated to e Singapore lake. Got myself 2nd batch of Redkie gf, hope no issue at all.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
mediacraze
Dragon

Better setting your tank and mature your filter BB before investing more fish.
In the mean time, buy a bag of feeder fish to use as cycling the tank.

For my case, my new 5 feet I use 40% of old media from my 3 feet and used the WC from 3 feet to 5 feet. It also took around 2 month for my new 5 feet to stablize before I dare to intro my Ranchu inside.

During the stage of cycling, add in active carbon to help in removing toxic. After that can discard it.
mediacraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
blackgf
Arofanatic

Thanks fir e advice. What's type fish is consider as feeders fish? I m a noob!!

After the apply e whitespot medicine the situation has improved. But guess what, now most them hv rotten fin? I almost faint, do a search on the rotten fin, abt applying PP & salt & wc to cure it. I hv no time to purchase e medicine so I dump in alot of salt instead , now my tank is super cloudy!!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
Chinmo
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgf View Post
Thanks fir e advice. What's type fish is consider as feeders fish? I m a noob!!

After the apply e whitespot medicine the situation has improved. But guess what, now most them hv rotten fin? I almost faint, do a search on the rotten fin, abt applying PP & salt & wc to cure it. I hv no time to purchase e medicine so I dump in alot of salt instead , now my tank is super cloudy!!!!
for 4 fteet tank 2 handful is quite alot le... how much u dump? from your pics... water not full.... 1 handful be enough le... add JYP also can.

to speed up cycling ..can buy those bottled beneficial bacterial.

feeder fish is fish u buy to feed predator fish.

Last edited by Chinmo; 11-09-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Chinmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:31 AM   #8
guppies79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmo View Post

to speed up cycling ..can buy those bottled beneficial bacterial.
talking abt bottled beneficial bacteria, has anyone wonder if these bacteria are still alive when purchased? anybody find these products really useful?

what i am thinking is these bacteria may gradually die off over time even though they may not have exceeded their shelf life
Old 12-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
Beng

I noticed u have 8 red gf and 1 black gf, for fengshui rite?

Your gf probably developed the white spots and rotten fin due to poor water quality. Check your ammonia and nitrite levels consistently. You might also need to do PWC frequently to bring the ammonia/ nitrite levels under control.
Old 13-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
blackgf
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beng View Post
I noticed u have 8 red gf and 1 black gf, for fengshui rite?

Your gf probably developed the white spots and rotten fin due to poor water quality. Check your ammonia and nitrite levels consistently. You might also need to do PWC frequently to bring the ammonia/ nitrite levels under control.
U hv a pair of sharp eyes!!! On e fengshui thingy

today just change 95% of water as e water is smelly & cloudy. Also donated another 5 gf to Singapore lake!! At e rate I m going sooner or later e lake will fill up with gf