Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Product Reviews

Old 23-08-2004, 10:33 PM   #1
nim75sg

Default Review on Resun FBF-1000

Got my hands on 2 units of the Resun FBF-1000 as I am deploying them for my "old" 6'x2'x2' tank to get rid of the unsightly look of RowaPhos n Chemi-Pure which are just dumped in the return chamber.

There are two models available:

FBF-500 for tank capacity below 500litres
FBF-1000 for tank capacity greater than 500lites

My first reaction of this the workmanship for the casing is value for money but disappointed with the instructions which was just a piece of paper. Well can't really complain for $27. Right?

To connection this FBF unit .. the following are required:

1) A small pump 600 L/H
2) Rubber Hosing size 16/22mm
3) Step-down hose converter 16/22mm to 12/16mm

Reason for item 3 is that most small pumps are having hose size of 12/16mm whereas the FBF-1000 inlet/outlet requires hoses size 16/22mm

Here is the pic of the FBF-1000:
Old 23-08-2004, 10:38 PM   #2
nim75sg

Like all china-made products, there is a thin film of oil on the threads of the both top and bottom covers which can be removed for cleaning.

The unit came with some white sand and 2 transparent hard plastic tubing. As seen from the photo below, all the items required are need to connect the FBF-1000.

The 2 different sizes of Eheim hoses are shown together with the Eheim Compact 600 pump including the hose converter.
Old 23-08-2004, 11:08 PM   #3
nim75sg

Removing the top and bottom cover needs some "mini brute" strength as they are both damn tight. I guess it is brand new and "never been used before" but finally managed to remove and pour away all the white sand.

Washed the inside of the casing and as usual there is a thin film of oil inside the top and bottom black cover. Likewise for the black sponges (2 pcs for the bottom and 1 pc for the top cover)

With a mild detergent, wash the inside cover to remove the thin film of oil is removed and my suggestion is to use telfron tape over the "screw thread" as an additional precautionary measure to prevent leaks. This is not necessary but being a native, just couldn't resist the kia-su syndrome impulse.

Instead of hard pvc piping for the inlet n outlet which are found in other brands, the Resuns are made of hard rubber material which I am experiencing this type of usage the first time.

That is the reason why Resun provides you with the 2 transparent connector for insertion directly to both the inlet/outlet rubber hose. Will post a pic of this connection later.

You can omit the transparent connector and just insert the Eheim 16/22mm hose directly into the rubber inlet/outlet of the FBF without any fear of the hose slipping out of the connection. Tested it out with flushing water and it didn't leaks at all.

Additional safeguard is to use a tie-wrap to further bind the hose and the FBF inlet/outlet hose but IMO, this is unnecessary and optional. Kia-Su syndrome strikes again.

For those who doesn't want to use Eheim hose, the alternative is to buy clear pvc hose size of 5/8 inch in diameter which is shown in the pic connecting to the outlet of the FBF. Found this leftover in the store room and might as well utilize it.

The bottom 2 black sponges are of reasonable quality and believe that it can outlive for at least a few changes of the media.

The next stage is to place the media inside the FBR and will post more pics in the next few days while doing the final installation.

Stay tuned.
Old 24-08-2004, 08:00 AM   #4
sherman

Bro,
What is this equipment?
Is it a FR?

Regards
Sherman
Old 24-08-2004, 09:31 AM   #5
Ekia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman
Bro,
What is this equipment?
Is it a FR?

Regards
Sherman
yes.. its a FR... Fluidized Reactor.. for some who dunno
Old 24-08-2004, 10:51 AM   #6
soomin
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekia
yes.. its a FR... Fluidized Reactor.. for some who dunno
I still no sure, what is it for exactly ? Is it just let the water run thru some filter material ? Where to get it ?

soomin
soomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 11:03 AM   #7
strat

Is there a rubber gasket in the cover to prevent any leaks?
Old 24-08-2004, 11:51 AM   #8
Ekia

Quote:
Originally Posted by soomin
I still no sure, what is it for exactly ? Is it just let the water run thru some filter material ? Where to get it ?

soomin
yup.. something like that.. for u to put in rowaphos, carbon etc etc... resun FR can be bought at Bio-Ocean... I'm getting Reef Maniacs Will try to do a review...
Old 24-08-2004, 04:34 PM   #9
monsterz1975

Where else is selling this item? Any bro know?
Old 24-08-2004, 05:39 PM   #10
devilfire

i'll b rushing there 2 get 1 today..

an experience reefer i know said it works.