Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Announcements & Guidelines

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 10:48 PM   #41
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
Hi, Mods. I've posted this suggestion in another but it doesnt seem to get much attention from the Mods, so i decide to paste it here. Wat do you think of the suggestion? Is it feasible?
as it is now, we keep only the last 5 records ... seriously, this points are rather worthless and we do not want to commit more server space to hold these datas .. anyway, the system do not allow us to show this display in the profile as well
Old 06-05-2005, 11:24 PM   #42
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
I see. Thanks for your reply, John!

But I'm surprise that the words 'this points are rather worthless' actually comes from you, the most fervent defender of the rep system ( I assume the points and the rep system are synonymous) and after all that you've done to implement and defend it......

If this is the case, coupled with all the negative feedbacks, why dun we just do away with it? Its not that I'm against the rep system but if its worthless and taking up server space, could we be better without it?

I'm sorry if this had been discussed before but becos I've never had much interest in threads relating the the rep sys, I didnt quite follow them and thus I'm sure of what had or had not been discussed. Its just that this idea just came to my mind and so I brought it up to see if anything constructive can be achieved from it.
u look carefully at the negative feedbacks .... where do they come from ?
wat are the negative points really ? is it something that they point out regarding the system itself or is it negative whining because they get zapped ? 90% comes from those who got zapped ... wat does that tell u ? and u relook again at those people who complained in the beginning , those who get zapped and complained ... wat is their stand now and wat have they understand abt the system ? especially if they've been added back to a healthy positive zone ... i relook at their postings and one thing i have noticed, they've changed their posting styles ...

the points are worthless, really worthless, u can't change them for anything but all of us like to be on the positive side if possible, no one wants to be the odd one, the negative one and it is this aspect that we feel will improve the forum. Let's look at another angle, do u still see all those
big big red coloured fonts like this to flame ? u dun't cos the members also know that u do this, u run the risk of being zapped very quickly ... does the system worked ? well i think so ... the moment everyone can't be bothered abt the system is when it doesn't worked and shd be scrapped .. but as of now when people do care abt their drop of points, or when they're happy when their points go up, its proof the system works ...
Old 07-05-2005, 01:44 AM   #43
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahl
John, Im sure you are aware: the rep system works if only people attach some personal value to the points. They are worthless in the sense that they have no practical value outside the forum, but they have value within the forum, for the forummers who see themselves as part of the community. The system works because members will want to raise their rep and so post useful information, and also to prevent being zapped so they will avoid meaningless posts and personal attacks.

Ok, to say more will be to open Pandora's box.
yes ... this is the way it is now
Old 07-05-2005, 04:47 AM   #44
Jack
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan
u look carefully at the negative feedbacks .... where do they come from ?
wat are the negative points really ? is it something that they point out regarding the system itself or is it negative whining because they get zapped ? 90% comes from those who got zapped ... wat does that tell u ? and u relook again at those people who complained in the beginning , those who get zapped and complained ... wat is their stand now and wat have they understand abt the system ? especially if they've been added back to a healthy positive zone ... i relook at their postings and one thing i have noticed, they've changed their posting styles ...

the points are worthless, really worthless, u can't change them for anything but all of us like to be on the positive side if possible, no one wants to be the odd one, the negative one and it is this aspect that we feel will improve the forum. Let's look at another angle, do u still see all those big big red coloured fonts like this to flame ? u dun't cos the members also know that u do this, u run the risk of being zapped very quickly ... does the system worked ? well i think so ... the moment everyone can't be bothered abt the system is when it doesn't worked and shd be scrapped .. but as of now when people do care abt their drop of points, or when they're happy when their points go up, its proof the system works ...

I see your point, John. Thanks for explaining. True, nowadays we seldom see flaming or nuisance posts as compared to before. In this aspect, the rep system would have served its purpose well.

But the system may still need to be improved on as there're still some shortcomings. Its never my intention to propose to scrap the system, rather its to improve it. Anyway, I'm just doing my part as a member of the forum, giving some suggestions. Ultimately, it'll be you all, the Mods to decide.
Give it some thoughts, I'm sure you can find ways to make it better.

Regards.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:31 PM   #45
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalelad
rep system is questionable. yesterday, i disagreed with a mod's way of putting a statement across. next thing i know i was zapped by so many points. sometimes i wonder if its really an anonymous rep system. plus.. objectivity. mods can anyhow zap, we also anyhow zap lor.
U were zapped as ur zapping is deemed to be disagreeing with the gallery guidelines, and each time i add or deduct anyone's reps is 10 points

cynical statement to undermine the rep system ... i disagree and deducted ur reps ... and will do so again if u persist
Old 17-05-2005, 07:07 PM   #46
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillife76
. And i am also not challenging ur authority, But i am just curius why u zap others 10 pts?. Since all the forumer were given the power to zap the others when they see a action dat were not appropraites. Then why do u still wana to interevence?

And also hor since the power to zap is limited to 1 pts, why is it that u zap 10 pts? If we were to see a ppl posting nonsense or smthg that shouldnt be here, ppl only zap 1 pts , y u zap 10? Is it just becos u are the mod?

Ad also if we were to felt dat u do anythg that is wrong, who can zap u 10 pts? Shouldnt we be all the same? If a police man commit a crime his punishment is double, not becos he is a policeman, he can punish others double. My thoughts.......... or maybe many ppl thoughts. Heheh
If u remember correctly or see the whole picture, the first 10 points were given by us as a buffer ... yes, the idea is to let the members moderate themselves but it is also a sort of a warning system ... everyday, we have people flouting our guidelines, often claiming ignorance ( I never read, I seldom come in, careless , etc etc ) So what are we expected to do ? pm them and tell them ... well ok, then what happens ? the same thing go over and over again ... who cares ??? wrong ar ? aiya ... let them move lar .. never mind ... mod pm me ? who cares ? also not big mistake .. u mean they ban me because I spam the forum ar ? wait a while , two weeks later spam la ... and the process repeats itself all over again ... so how do we make them remember this ? we deduct their reps ... the same reps that we gave out for them to buffer at the beginning ... well, if these are genuine members and have make friends in the community, I'm quite positive they can slowly gained their points back. This is in contrast to those who are forever cynical or those who come into AF with their little agenda or wants to use AF solely for the purpose of profiteering .

As for your analogy of the government, first we're not a public elected team. The members don't pay to join us. We do all the work, the technical aspects, we create the activities, we fund the site, so we run it like a private entity would run their organisation. In a company, if a staff don't perform or is forever contravening company regulations, what will the company do ? Issue them a warning letter ?

There have been a few members who deduct me due to their disagreement with me ... that's fine ... but if you deduct due to policy or guideline matters, then you are deemed to be supporting the flouting of these guidelines and I will deduct your reps.

Why I zap is 10 points ? Will it make a pinch to warn against an offence if it is 1 point ? the very 1 point that can be easily recovered ? no is the answer and the flouting will jolly well repeat itself.

Sorry for saying this, ur analogy on the policeman is a little warped. The police or the state belongs to the citizens. The minister is elected. U can vote him out at the next election. But AF is privately owned. U cannot appoint me or you cannot appoint a moderator. You can only choose to come or go. You have to weigh the overall picture. Is this a site that you feel you can be here with enough freedom and make friends ? Or you feel restricted and claustrophobic due to our policies ? There are quite a few aquatic sites locally, many started after us and many are also members here. I will encourage you to register as a member and do those postings the same way those guys who flout AF guidelines does. See what happens then ... weigh and see if you would rather have someone deduct your reps as a warning first ...
Old 05-06-2005, 08:34 PM   #47
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softy
thanks.... already drop john a pm

i think that guy not happy with the comment i made....haha...but no need for the vulgarities mah

nothing to do with my avatar
seriously why wud u want to post a comment like this
" nobody knows??? ppl here only knows how to comment fishes ? " and give a thumbs down ??? u'll just offend everyone else at the LH forum ...

like i reply u in pm, two wrongs dun make a right and wat i see in ur rep comment is " xxxx u " ... but still i'll pm the user who zapped u although i believe he'll say xxxx means something else ...
Old 09-07-2005, 01:39 AM   #48
jwhtan
Barney

I've further tweaked the system in reaction to members chasing after the rep power and building multiple nicks as a war chest on rep points.

1. The number of post counts tat determines an additional rep power of 1 will be taken away. Now regardless if u have 20,000 or more, there'll be no difference, so stop chasing the post counts with meaningless postings.

2. Your given rep will remain at 10 as a buffer for any infringements of our guidelines if u do not read. However, rep power will now be activated only when u have a minimum of 20 rep points, which means you have to earn ur keeps by posting constructively and making friends. This will hopefully deter those who register multiple nicks as their rep points war chest. We dun want these phantom members.

The first post will be edited accordingly.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:13 AM   #49
Humongous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewmender
Hi John since these new rules have been implemented , I suggest we reset the rep pt system for everyone? i mean those who build their rep pt war chest pretty much have sufficent amt in their chest already and this new implementation would have little to no effect on their rep. ( which defeats the purpose of the new implementations)

juz a suggestion.
Mew, if admin or mod were to reset the rep pt for everyone, those with high rep point will cause uproar and for those who was up genuinely by posting good and constructive post will felt hard done.

Those with high rep accumulated one maybe aggrieve but those with negative rep pts one will felt very relieve..

I dont see why make those who were good suffer a cut back and those who post irresponsibly and with neg point one be put at the same bench again.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:27 AM   #50
Stryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iori
You dun need to be Einstein to know that 1+1 = 2........
i tot is 11

but anyway, i dun see the need to reset the system...juz leave it as it is...too many "tweaks", especially the reset of the system, simply defeat the purpose of having this system in the first place. Once the system is up n ruuning, n only a minority is unhappy, as per most systems in this world, the system goes on....no pt make the starting of this rep system a mockery when it has been running pretty smoothly for a few mths juz because you need to satisfy complaints/suggestions from minority.

Juz my 2 cents worth.

Closed Thread