Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Announcements & Guidelines

Closed Thread

Old 18-06-2005, 04:49 PM   #1
jwhtan
Barney

Default Buy/Sell Forum: Auctions

Further to the discussion on Bidding, here's the guidelines for all to adhere to.
This will be with immediate effect

Bidding procedures

1. There will be no reserve price. Your start bid price will be considered as your reserve price. If you want to put your item for bid, the highest bidder will get the item. This will be deemed as the "market rate" in AF. If you dun intend to sell the item below a certain price, then just place it for sale at that price. Dun put it up for bidding.

2. Every Bid has to be posted here. Private messaging and sms will not be recognised. This is the privilege of being a member here. And this will also ensure transparency. Please accompany all bids by a contact number. This can be posted or by private messaging if one is not comfortable with his contact number shown.

3. All defects and condition of item is to be correctly listed. For any item not as described, bidder can ultimately reject the item upon viewing. Eg torn fin in an aro not described. Or maybe your pump has a cover missing etc

4. Collection date and place to be listed accordingly. If you cannot meet the collection date/place, please do not bid as you'll then be listed as an aeroplane buyer. The time and date should also not be changed as bidders find it very difficult to keep track. Cock and Bull excuses of parents/girlfriends/wives not allowing will not be entertained. Please ask permission if you need, before you bid.

5. Closing Time will be Arofanatics time. Bidding should not exceed five days from the time of posting. Experience have shown that lengthy period always results in genuine bidders missing out due to not being able to monitor the thread or oversight on closing date.

6. Sellers should not withdraw their sale prematurely. Same excuses of wives/girlfriends/parents not allowing the sale will not be entertained. Please ask permission if you need, before putting up for bidding. This point is only excusable if point 8 is met. In an unexpected scenario where the seller claims the fish RIP, the offer can be withdrawn but I dun want this to be a convenient excuse. Thread starter is to show highest bidder the fish tat's RIP.

7. Changing of terms and conditions after the auction starts is not allowed. For example, a package of a tankset and halfway through, you say the light or filter or anything that was originally included is now not included.

8. Doublenicks that are used to boost the sales on the bidding will be disabled and exposed accordingly, so please do not try.

9. In the event of a tie upon Auction close, the first bid with the highest bid price fulfilling all auction conditions will be the winning bid.

10.Any bid that has " Last edited by ......... " shown in the post will be void.

11.Optional : Sellers can list a " buy now price ". This is defined as a price where the moment it is reached, all bidding will stop and the item considered sold. This is also the highest price the seller expect from the item. However, you cannot list a " buy now price " in the midst of an ongoing auction.

12.Optional : whenever possible, sellers shd put in a pic of their item for sale.

13.Any flouting of these guidelines may result in ur account being banned or reps reset to 0 or deducted by 10, whichever that is lower. Ur posting privileges at Buy/Sell may be curtailed as well. Excuses of ignorance, forget, never read the guidelines etc will not be entertained.
Old 18-06-2005, 05:12 PM   #2
jwhtan
Barney

Here's a suggestion on how u can put up your thread

I have a 3 year old QH VFSR for bidding
Tag date : April 2002
Tag number : 1234567
Start price : $1,000.00
Buy now price (optional) ; $2,500.00
Closing Date : 3 Days later ( put actual date) @ 2200hrs AF time
Collection at Geylang , Fish to be collected the day after the bid ends
Fish has one side droopy eyes and very slight PLJ, other than that no defects
Pics attached (optional)

Highest bidder will get the deal
As stated in house rules, there will be no reserve price.
All bids to state clearly on this thread.
Pls pm or post your contact numbers
Bids w/o contact numbers will not be recognised
All bidding in dollars only.
No private messaging to bid
Old 03-07-2005, 12:30 AM   #3
DCKY
Endangered Dragon

Smile

Well done........... Thanks..............
Old 03-07-2005, 03:49 PM   #4
Gymrat76

Thumbs up

Yup, too many cases where nobody knows if the seller is serious on his sale/bid... people bid or ask questions and get ignored... hopefully everyone will adhere to the guidelines

Old 15-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #5
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbasser
I'm not trying to stir up trouble. I just wish to seek clarification.
Today I find myself bidding for the same item I bidded a few weeks ago.
This same item that was offered for sale by the same seller also.
In the earlier auction, I was the lowest bidder, but, if all the buyers that offered to pay more than me defaulted, then............???????

Maybe some guidelines to help?
please retrieve the links so tat i can understand clearly wat u are trying to put across .... i'll prefer to see the complete picture before concluding anything
Old 19-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
Crazy Pacu
Dragon

Can somebody enlighten me on this aspect of the bidding system:

If the winner of the bid backs out, remain uncontactable, will the fish goes to the 2nd highest bid? if yes, this may lead to an unethical approach to win the bid. Mr A has the current highest bid. Mr B wants the fish and bids $10 more than Mr A. He then goes on to use another account or perhaps get his fren to bid a out of this world price...something that will most likely get the fish.

On collection day, the winner disappears.The seller, all ready to get rid of the fish, decides to just offer it to the 2nd highest bidder Mr B...cos he cant be bothered to go thru the bidding all over again.

No doubt the bidder is suppose to provide contact no. but it can always be fake, unless the seller bothers to call every bidder to authenticate b4 bidding ends .

This leads us to wonder whether the seller should allow pple to bid below the current highest price. Often we see in threads that if one person bid 50, the next person who comes along and bid 45 is soon being reminded that the current bid is 50 and his bid should be higher than that...

i feel that everyone should be able to offer their own price and not be restricted by the current highest price. In this way, should the buyer backs out last min, at least the seller wun be stuck with the fish. Also, the bidders can bid freely and are not constrained by the fact that the price they can offer has already been exceeded and they can only offer higher prices.

Hope the scenario i created is not giving any body ideas.
Old 19-09-2006, 08:35 PM   #7
jwhtan
Barney

No the bid need not go to the second highest bidder. I've clarified this before in one of the bidding threads. The reason is very simple .... the bidding goes on for 5 days .... A bidded and B bids higher ... as far as A is concerned he has lost the bid .... he then goes on to buy the stuff he wants ... then B backs out ... no A is not liable for the bid even if his bid is the next highest bid.

As for doublenicks, look at point 7. We have the means to trace them and will do so on doubtful cases.
Old 19-09-2006, 11:32 PM   #8
Crazy Pacu
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan
No the bid need not go to the second highest bidder. I've clarified this before in one of the bidding threads. The reason is very simple .... the bidding goes on for 5 days .... A bidded and B bids higher ... as far as A is concerned he has lost the bid .... he then goes on to buy the stuff he wants ... then B backs out ... no A is not liable for the bid even if his bid is the next highest bid.

As for doublenicks, look at point 7. We have the means to trace them and will do so on doubtful cases.
I see...thanks for clarifying, but if in the case that A has the intention to cheat and states that he wants to be next in line, which is a common practice here...it is likely that the seller contacts the 2nd highest bidder. Not trying to create controversy here, but just trying to highlight the possibility of foul play and to protect the interests of other bidders. cheers
Old 23-09-2006, 08:57 PM   #9
Lobsterman

Actually I do have another query. In the event that A post bid of $100 at 2359hrs and B posted another bid of $99 right after A's posting (also at 2359hrs but after A). Technically speaking, A should be the winner, as B's bid is less than A.

I believe we know of the "edit" function. In this case, if B managed to edit his bid to $101, he would win. Then again, A could also edit his bid... In this case, how is it going to be?

Then again, bidding is just another valueadd to this forum, I am not picking bones, but simply highlighting some scenerios...

Old 09-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #10
ehong0811z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
Here's a suggestion on how u can put up your thread

I have a 3 year old QH VFSR for bidding
Tag date : April 2002
Tag number : 1234567
Start price : $1,000.00
Buy now price (optional) ; $2,500.00
Closing Date : 3 Days later ( put actual date) @ 2200hrs AF time
Collection at Geylang , Fish to be collected the day after the bid ends
Fish has one side droopy eyes and very slight PLJ, other than that no defects
Pics attached (optional)

Highest bidder will get the deal
As stated in house rules, there will be no reserve price.
All bids to state clearly on this thread.
Pls pm or post your contact numbers
Bids w/o contact numbers will not be recognised
All bidding in dollars only.
No private messaging to bid
Hi Mod,
Would like to suggest to add 1 item to your suggestion list where the bid ending time is concerned. A standard auction ending time will consider legal when the very last bid comes in exactly on the dot. Example an auction states bid end @ 2200hrs, and then a last minute bidder place a bid on exactly 2200hrs which is shown on his message time stamp, in this case it is valid.

A standard online auction will have the mechanism to remove the expired bid automatically, but we are not auction oriented. Therefore a dispute may arise
if 2 or more bidder want to bid on the edges of end time. Thanks for reading this message.

Closed Thread