Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox

Old 16-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
nFn
Arofanatic

Default S'pore national football team reforged for World Cup qualifier

S'pore national football team reforged for World Cup qualifier
By Patwant Singh | Posted: 15 April 2011 2345 hrs
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...123080/1/.html

SINGAPORE: Singapore's national football coach has shortlisted 31 players to represent Singapore, four months after the national team was disbanded in early January after a poor performance at the 2010 AFF Suzuki Cup.

Some observers said national coach Mr Raddy Avramovic should include familiar names who have delivered on previous occasions.

These include the oldest Lion, 40-year-old Aleksandar Duric.

Former assistant coach of the Tampines Rovers, Mr Syed Faruk said players such as Daniel Bennett, Mohd Noh Rahman and Shi Jia Yi should be considered, among others.

Some said Young Lions Captain, Hariss Harun is also a likely pick.

With the focus on youth, many of his team-mates like Fazli Ayob, Nazrul Ahmad Nazari, Afiq Yunos, and keeper Izwan Mahbud could also be included.

The rest of the S.League clubs too have young players with potential for national duty.

However, some feel age and reputation should not be the only criteria.

"As a coach at any level, national team or club, or whatever level, I think you got to pick the players based on current form, it's as simple as that, so let's not talk about ex-players and current players and things like that. On current form you pick the best players," said Mr Shasi Kumar, former S.League coach and player.

Selecting the best is crucial, as the Lions prepare for their first big test this year - a World Cup qualifier against Malaysia or Taiwan in July.

The Football Association of Singapore will be organising four friendly matches in May and June.

This will allow the national coach to make his final selection ahead of the World Cup qualifier in July.

- CNA/cc

Isn't that the same group of players before the disband?
nFn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
bonafido

booomzz

whether disband or not, i think Singapore team needed a change urgently. The coach should be sack to make way for new coach. he had done a good job previously by bring Singapore team up but than i think our team standard is become stagnant and other teams from the region had improved leap and bound.
We need a new management to run the team again!!by changing the players is like change soup dun change medicine. its only a short term changes. while a long term plan is to development the current youth team but sending them oversea to train via club attachment and than bring that young team to compete in every national game. We might not see them win but they will improved and gain experience in every game.

by the time they had mature we will be a formula force and not just bring players from Stupid League so to speak and expect them to create wonders.
Old 16-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Edmundo

YAwnz.... not i tat i look down on them, but the fact is that something is missing in the entire Blue Print from FAS.........

For your necessary Info

Post Buy/Sell, Title Your Thread, No Chit Chat in Thread
Edmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Disffusion
Arofanatic

Can't we use the youth squad instead since they did pretty well. It would be good exposure for them rather then using old guards (we will not make it anyway) which very likely can't play anymore for subsequent WC matches.
Disffusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmundo View Post
YAwnz.... not i tat i look down on them, but the fact is that something is missing in the entire Blue Print from FAS.........
pay peanut, get monkey!

Until the country takes a serious look at the remuneration package for local players, and let them make a career out of it, they won't likely attain their peak. Keep them on their toes, lose form, out they go.

If they gov can suka suka justify their multi-million dollars salary, why can't the local (Singaporean) players be paid better, to bring glory to the country? Do we need to rely on foreign sportsmen?

By importing foreign players, eg chinese table tennis players, we are just helping China to market their players, help them bring more glory back to their home (afterall, pple will all say, these medal winners are from china). In most table tennis finals these days, it's China vs ex-China (still, china).

Last edited by globalcookie; 16-04-2011 at 06:11 PM.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
Edmundo

ACtualli among all sports, big chunk of funds go into football already, how much still need to be fund in it? 100% receipt from Singapore Pool into football?

For your necessary Info

Post Buy/Sell, Title Your Thread, No Chit Chat in Thread
Edmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
glyeo84
Dragon

Would like to see a new team with young new faces... Result is secondary now, as priority is to rebuild the team.....
glyeo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
bonafido

booomzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmundo View Post
ACtualli among all sports, big chunk of funds go into football already, how much still need to be fund in it? 100% receipt from Singapore Pool into football?
Wrong investment i think!!even how much $$$ pour in, if the FAS dun change management u still see afew bunch of players playing "Kachiam puteh soccer"
Old 17-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
Beerman
Endangered Dragon

Is about time to change the coach! Why nobody want to sack him or tell him to go? Change the team? How about the coach and that fellow sitting infront of the desk at singapore FAS? Change that fellow too!

....no skill...miss passing...small and short goal keeper and the most fun guy in the field is the ref! Alot of time is the ref that kill the game and the team!

But i still like to watch! Funny la........ hahahahaa.... if u watch s-league u will notice and see the most unbelievable goal they can come up with! Dont believe? Watch! hahahahaa....
Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
maffia_2010
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
Is about time to change the coach! Why nobody want to sack him or tell him to go? Change the team? How about the coach and that fellow sitting infront of the desk at singapore FAS? Change that fellow too!

....no skill...miss passing...small and short goal keeper and the most fun guy in the field is the ref! Alot of time is the ref that kill the game and the team!

But i still like to watch! Funny la........ hahahahaa.... if u watch s-league u will notice and see the most unbelievable goal they can come up with! Dont believe? Watch! hahahahaa....
wah bro, respect you. i cant even make myself to watch it on tv even if im too free or got nothing else to watch on tv.
maffia_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote