Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox

Old 15-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #51
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauLanChu View Post
Our MRT are expanding with more and more lines coming up, sometime I see the map also get confuse, like spider web. Unlike last time where there is only a single line spanning across Sg, now there are loops and sub loops...the expertise to handle such a massive system got to be up to it. The problems come up of different nature, signal, power trip, weather.....even we engaged some overseas experts or consultant will not be overnight success. Probably as some one suggested, gov should take over to run the business and come out with a long term success plan, including those new lines coming up to ensure no repeat of earlier mistake.
The truth is, it's not ONE person that is up to it. There's always a team of ppl in any organisation that keeps that ONE person seated there.

The problem that I believe many will agree is, these breakdown problems were not something that happened due to lack of expertise, but the culling of expertise and cost cutting measures. This topic were discussed in AF or even other online portals.

The flooding too, I believe many agrees, is something totally unacceptable. It is simple knowledge that it has to be backup. There are SEVERAL cases of below sea level places that flooded in Singapore. Well, just to name a few, St Regis basement carpark, Orchard Road flooding years back These odd to be a lesson to infrastructures.

Like shared in earlier comment, if a gov and GLC's computer servers has at least 4 copies of data, as contigencies, I don't see why water pumps in underground MRT tunnels doesn't have proper backup! And since MRT has been serving us for 30yrs and this being the first occurrence, why didn't it occur before? Not e first time we had heavy rain... Like mentioned earlier too, train breakdowns can be understandable, but flooded tunnel isn't.

Now this makes me wonder (negative thinking maybe), will CTE/KPE tunnel flood one day?
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #52
Auratus
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
Trouble is they have no pro active plan to resolve.
They are just re-acting when there are issues.
Can plan la....plan to fail.
Auratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 08:07 PM   #53
globalcookie
Dragon

SINGAPORE: Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan on Monday (Oct 16) said the SMRT maintenance team in charge of the anti-flood system at Bishan station had “failed us”, in his first public address on the major North-South Line (NSL) tunnel flooding incident two weekends ago.

Mr Khaw said Singapore’s MRT tunnels were designed to handle local weather and cope with “very extreme storms far more severe than the last few weeks”.

“The bottom line is they should not have been flooded. But on Oct 7, the stretch at Bishan and Braddell stations did.”

“There are standard anti-flooding systems with huge stormwater sump pits,” he explained. “Our findings show that the anti-flooding system there was poorly maintained.”

“In simple terms, the stormwater pit can hold more than 5,000 cubic metres of rainfall ... During that period over the catchment area, rainfall could not have exceeded 700 - let’s stretch it, 1,000 cubic metres.”

Said Mr Khaw: “If it were well-maintained, the reservoir should be empty before rain starts to flow. But it overflowed. The pit had not been maintained properly.”

He later revealed that the Land Transport Authority and SMRT had in fact, on Sep 29, made a decision to replace the pumps.

“So we are late by a few days. Had they proceeded to replace (the pumps) this thing might not even have happened.

"But I suppose that is life."

“We wanted to close the gap with Taipei’s benchmark of 800,000 km without incident ... We have made serious improvements, we have exceeded next year’s target (of 400,000km) and that’s why I was confident enough to say let’s go for 1 million.

“But I knew Singaporeans couldn’t relate, because they still hear delays here and there because of resignalling.”

The main reason for this, said Mr Khaw, can be traced to two major projects ongoing at the same time - improvements to existing lines and resignalling for the NSL.

“I did say the resignalling would have tonnes of problems. I said so in public, to bear with us,” he said.

“So even when you evaluate our performance in resignalling, we have done well. That’s why I’m concerned when media reports conflate the two projects and draw wrong conclusions.”*

Source: CNA/am

--------------

His statement was gg well.... till i read that line... haix

I find him very defensive... or maybe he has been on e receiving end since taking over e portfolio and now started to lose it.

It's not an easy ministry to take care of after all. I doubt his boss promised it will be a luxury.

Somehow I find LTY more subtle and focus on his job more.

Last edited by globalcookie; 16-10-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 16-10-2017, 08:21 PM   #54
globalcookie
Dragon

SINGAPORE: SMRT CEO Desmond Kuek apologised to commuters affected by the Oct 7 weekend disruption caused by a flooded tunnel on the North-South Line (NSL) in a press conference on Monday (Oct 16) that detailed the causes of the incident.

Addressing the criticism that the SMRT has received regarding its work culture, Mr Kuek said that "deep-seated cultural issues" remain within the company that need more time to root out, despite some progress being made.

"Indeed, many of our major disruptions in the past have been attributed in some part, or all, to human error or failure," Mr Kuek said. " We regret that this is so."

He said that "nine in 10 of our people are incredibly committed, professional and commuter-focused".

In response to reporters' queries, he said one area that needs to be strengthened is the "level of accountability by supervisors".

This includes "the level of ownership and responsibility over what’s not working well ... The openness in which some issues are reported", he added.

Referring to the replacement of SMRT's vice-president for maintenance after the incident, Mr Kuek said it is not "just one person's fault,
but because he’s the head of this particular function we removed him from his responsibilities there ... and put somebody else in charge for the time being.”

Mr Kuek added that he takes full responsibility for the incident: "On behalf of all of us in SMRT, I apologise to members of the public
who were affected by last weekend's disruption. We are all deeply pained by what happened."

SMRT CHAIRMAN APOLOGISES

Speaking before Mr Kuek, Chairman of SMRT Corporation and SMRT Trains Seah Moon Ming bowed as he apologised to commuters.

"SMRT has failed to prevent this incident from happening. SMRT takes full responsibility for this incident," Mr Seah said.
"SMRT wants to, and aims to make things right for our commuters."

He added: "We know we have disappointed you and affected your life with each MRT service disruption. I ask for your patience and kind understanding,
to allow us to work towards providing you with a better and smoother commuter experience."

-----------------

Chairman bow. CO of.maintenance removed.

CEO no tiko.
Old 16-10-2017, 08:31 PM   #55
loveikan
Arofanatic

Just blamed it on the previous mgmt and staff and as long got head tio rolled then loh boj ee lang a tai chi liao.

Advetised for the next scapegoat to come on board.
loveikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #56
jwhtan
Barney

You know who said this ?

"Everything works, whether its water, electricity, gas, telephone, telexes, it just has to work.
If it doesn’t work, I want to know why, and if I am not satisfied, and I often was not, the chief goes, and I have to find another chief.
Firing the chief is very simple.
"
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #57
Charlesnah
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
You know who said this ?

"Everything works, whether its water, electricity, gas, telephone, telexes, it just has to work.
If it doesn’t work, I want to know why, and if I am not satisfied, and I often was not, the chief goes, and I have to find another chief.
"

LKY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charlesnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #58
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
You know who said this ?

"
"
How did Qin Dynasty ended? Not that I know history that well...

Emperor Qin Shi Wang was tough. Emperor Qin's children was INCOMPETENT, LACK OF LEADERSGIP SKILLS and siblings fought. We seems to see history appearing in SG.
Old 16-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #59
globalcookie
Dragon

But old man didn't keep his word, or
He didn't get to see the incompetence, or
He turned a blind eye, or
He doesn't have the power to do what he preach.

WHAT!!??
Old 16-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #60
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesnah View Post
LKY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup ....... so hv standards drop ?
For all our misgivings abt his political ruthlessness, you hv to say he is operationally highly efficient

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote