Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 05-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #11
whitedash
Arofanatic

bigfoot, let's start it well!
Just a small noob advise here who is very into aesthetics, you may want to paste oyama at the back of your tank. I prefer black oyama on 3 sides, it really bring out the color of the tanga and you will be able to observe the behaviour better since they will be less startled by the surroundings.
check out this page for more inspiration!
https://www.facebook.com/sgtanga
whitedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #12
wildbear
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot1989 View Post
Thanks everyone! I can't find online what kind of water they need. Like ph, water temp and do they need salt ?
Bro Bigfoot, Welcome to tangan family

Individual tanga keeper have their own preference on water parameter but most important condition is ph, anything between 7.4 - around 8.4 is fine.

Personally for me, ideal ph is abt 8. I only use tanga lake salt to adjust gh to around 14ppm, coral sand and coral chips to stabilise ph.

Some keeper buy off the self tangan buffer and some concocts their own buffer with bicarbonate, Epsom salt, sea salt...etc which is much cheaper to emulate the same water condition in lake tanga. They are also some who don't use anything at all but their fish still strive (most pub water in Singapore at ph7+).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot1989 View Post
Thanks bro. Wonder sld I start buying cheap fish first for gaining experience or just jump to buy the fish U Intro.
For your tank size, most hobbyist will recommend you to keep a colony of shellie like similis or multis where you can enjoy watching the colony grow when the fish start to breed

Before you decide what fish to start with, would advise you to do some research, visit lfs or simply visit tanga keeper which I know some who will welcome you to see their collections and share their knowledge with you. I'm sure you won't want to end up getting fish which you don't like or regret

Just sharing my limited knowledge and hope it helps
wildbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #13
wildbear
Arofanatic

Ooops! Forgotten abt temp

25-30dc
tangan will usually breed at colder temperature.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:25 PM   #14
Hancai
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverfrontosa View Post
Yes Sir but a regular water change is needed.
Noted! Thanks!
Hancai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #15
CCT
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedash View Post
Just a small noob advise here who is very into aesthetics, you may want to paste oyama at the back of your tank. I prefer black oyama on 3 sides, it really bring out the color of the tanga and you will be able to observe the behaviour better since they will be less startled by the surroundings.
Not all black la wd trophs put black camough le, blue is good too. Hehe ya more research is good. Study more and visit more lfs or hobbyist place to decide, pic in google and real thing is different.
CCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:36 PM   #16
wildbear
Arofanatic

Quote:
Black oyama can help calm down the fish when its stress or frighten as it can act as a dark shadowy corner for them to hide but also create a good contrast with light colour substrate like coral sand/playsand and dark gray boulder/slate/rocks. With the right lighting, can bring out the colours of most tanga fish....swee....hahaha
Old 05-03-2015, 07:37 PM   #17
whitedash
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCT View Post
Not all black la wd trophs put black camough le, blue is good too. Hehe ya more research is good. Study more and visit more lfs or hobbyist place to decide, pic in google and real thing is different.
Ya la. For me i like the orhlulu mysterious feel ma, like i said it's my personal preference. You want purple or green background also can la.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #18
whitedash
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbear View Post
Black oyama can help calm down the fish when its stress or frighten as it can act as a dark shadowy corner for them to hide but also create a good contrast with light colour substrate like coral sand/playsand and dark gray boulder/slate/rocks. With the right lighting, can bring out the colours of most tanga fish....swee....hahaha
yeah la brother bear so eloquent nowadays
Old 05-03-2015, 07:42 PM   #19
CCT
Dragon

Quote:
Ya la. For me i like the orhlulu mysterious feel ma, like i said it's my personal preference. You want purple or green background also can la.
Haha the mysterious feel is for real, sometime i cant even find my burundi when they turn black, but end day its really up to the indivdual haha.
CCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #20
whitedash
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCT View Post
Haha the mysterious feel is for real, sometime i cant even find my burundi when they turn black, but end day its really up to the indivdual haha.
ur burundi turning black is not a good sign. most likely the poor fish is stressed up. could be aggression, water parameters, aeration or etc. better find the root cause