Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 05-09-2009, 06:23 AM   #1
Suiguayme

Default Human powered CO2 injections!

I remember my science teacher years ago was blowing bubbles into water with a straw. She said "See? I'm dissolving carbon dioxide into the water."

So I decided why not apply this to my aquatic plants? I took a long, clean air pump tube and blew into it while I held the other end down to keep it from floating when air entered.

(I guess you can weigh it down with rocks and airstones if you want a hands free operation while you read a book or something. I actually do that lol.)

The tank with java moss and riccia fluitans was set near a sunny window. And both plants was producing air bubbles like crazy! :3

Perfect! I can exercise my lungs to play my clarinet better AND give CO2 injections to my plants.

I'm so happy, now I don't have to go through trouble making do-it-yourself CO2 injections with yeast, or buy some product to inject CO2 in, whee!

I remember a user on here said that kind of method of CO2 injecting isn't sufficient. But I proved him wrong. ^_^ No reason why it shouldn't be sufficient, we are bigger, so we produce more CO2 than smaller organisms like yeast or something. It's also the same process as using an air pump machine to oxygenate the water.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
moscowblue
Endangered Dragon

Are you going to sit next to your tank the whole day to induce CO2?
moscowblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
Suiguayme

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscowblue View Post
Are you going to sit next to your tank the whole day to induce CO2?
No, it only takes about 3-5 minutes or so. One big breath per interval and blow fast and hard. Good lung exercise I guess. Being a clarinet player I'm used to it. We're bigger organisms than yeast, we produce more CO2
Old 05-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
BuWaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiguayme View Post
No, it only takes about 3-5 minutes or so. One big breath per interval and blow fast and hard. Good lung exercise I guess. Being a clarinet player I'm used to it. We're bigger organisms than yeast, we produce more CO2
Do you have substrate in your tank?
Old 05-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

but, a planted tank requires constant amount of co2, its like DIY co2, the amount of co2 get lesser and lesser over a period of time.. which is very very bad for planted tank. the unequal amount of co2 will trigger algae to appear, esp BBA. IMO, this is pretty useless.. and i believe even you are blowing into the tank, not much co2 is really dissolved into the tank, you are better of with a cheap manual regulator co2 canister, or do without co2 injection at all.
my o.2cents.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
bluezing

if this works in the first place...then all the co2 cylinders, tablets, and what nots, all no business liao lor..

anyway...gd luck!
Old 05-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
big_ben102000

humans dont breathe in pure oxygen, we breathe in air which consist of other gases as well and what we breathe out consist of other gases as well. although there is an increase in the amount of CO2 with you breathe out i dont think it will be very significant increase.

maybe try using an airpump i think it will introduce more CO2 throughout the 24hrs then what you do in that ouple of minutes
Old 05-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezing View Post
if this works in the first place...then all the co2 cylinders, tablets, and what nots, all no business liao lor..

anyway...gd luck!
acctually co2 tablets and diy co2 is quite useless as well.. only presurised co2 is good to use for planted tank.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
Shad0w

unless you can blow through the ceramic glass diffuser, it most likely goes to atmosphere
Old 06-09-2009, 05:18 AM   #10
Exotic_chew
Arofanatic

i believe there will still be a certain percentage of co2 exchange into the water.

but in the long run i do not think ur way will work. maybe u should consider other alternatives to have better results in plant growth?
Exotic_chew is offline   Reply With Quote