Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 21-12-2006, 02:10 PM   #11
the_r0ck

Oh I left something out.

Our tap water in Singapore do not usually have a KH value of 0. I admit that different places in Singapore do have some variations but it is a little extreme to find so little KH from the tap water.

Normally the KH value of our tap water ranges from 3-5. Pasir Ris here is about 4 while my hostel in school has about 3.

I like the tap water for our tanks and think that it has some basic elements that is not all that bad. Having RO water is a little unnecessary IMHO. Yes it is fine but I just don't see a need to.

-Calvin
Old 21-12-2006, 08:36 PM   #12
Shad0w

My tap water kH at telok blangah area is around 1 degree.

I found that tank with RO water have slower algae investation, though it may not be conclusive since can't really have 2 tank with the exactly the same setup, flora and fauna. You do need to add trace element though. Maybe algae spore was filtered.
Old 21-12-2006, 08:42 PM   #13
Shad0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlfsk View Post
Should be distilled water. Havn't got chance to try a RO unit yet.
The one used for car battery, pure H2O
Old 21-12-2006, 09:28 PM   #14
S|Lv3r SuRf3r

Don't use RO, its the cleanest water in the world. No minerals at all. If we drink, we dilute out body. If put in aquarium, dilute the setup of its minerals.
Old 21-12-2006, 09:41 PM   #15
the_r0ck

Well, as far as I have heard, alot of people who use RO water add in products like Seachem Equilibrium to replenish certain key minerals.

I have never gotten the chance to get an RO unit. It seems more common overseas, as when I read overseas forums or magazines, many people do use RO units. Maybe its the water.

-Calvin
Old 21-12-2006, 09:58 PM   #16
|squee|

For foreign countries they need to RO their water because their tapwater is usually too high in hardness for use in tropical aquarium setups.
Old 24-11-2008, 05:00 AM   #17
Iron Buddha

Default American Water

What about american water...how hard is it...is an RO needed for discus tank...in st. louis, MO , USA i don't see alot of people with RO's.
Old 24-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #18
WiNd.feNg
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0w View Post
GH & KH RANGE - AQUARIUM LIFE
0°-3° (0-50 ppm) discus, arowanas, elephantnose, neons, cardinals, live plants

3°-6° (50-100 ppm) Most tropical fish including angelfish, cichlids, tetras, botia, live plants

6°-11° (100-200 ppm) Most tropical fish including swordtails, guppies, mollies, goldfish

11°-22° (200-400 ppm) Rift lake cichlids, goldfish, brackish water fish

I got the above information from net, can't remember where though
this chart can be used if people are using the drip technique using the test kits. (i dont know if there are any other techniques of testing for KH)

no. of drops represents the degree aka. dKH

i did water changes to reduce my KH, as it was 6 and i didnt know why did it increase so much. but after water change the KH remained 6.. anyone knows why?

but so far my tank is stable and everything seems to be survivng and growing well

i did water changes and my dKH is still
WiNd.feNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 02:43 PM   #19
Blackflame

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlfsk View Post
Yup, increasng KH will also increase the PH, macam they go hand-in-hand. That's how we can use the co2 chart mah. We inject CO2 to bring the PH down.
yeah agree with you. Increasing the carbonate content of the water will bring up the KH and with KH increasing, Ph will increase too.
Old 25-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #20
Blackflame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiNd.feNg View Post
this chart can be used if people are using the drip technique using the test kits. (i dont know if there are any other techniques of testing for KH)

no. of drops represents the degree aka. dKH

i did water changes to reduce my KH, as it was 6 and i didnt know why did it increase so much. but after water change the KH remained 6.. anyone knows why?

but so far my tank is stable and everything seems to be survivng and growing well

i did water changes and my dKH is still
how much % did you change ?

It could be your tapwater has some Kh value in it.

My area has KH 0. so im kinda unfortunate, have to add kh whenever i change water.