Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Closed Thread

Old 24-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #71
vic
Dragon

At least work got done here.

Not like in Msia where we can see so many half finished property for years
Old 24-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #72
therat
Arofanatic

http://www.depnet.com.sg/uni0/news/n...7/default.aspx

MP for Bukit Gombak GRC, Ang Mong Seng has called for Class C wards in hospitals to be re-named.

03/03/2008
By Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE: MP for Bukit Gombak GRC, Ang Mong Seng has called for Class C wards in hospitals to be re-named.

Speaking in Parliament on Monday, the Mr Ang noted that ‘C’ sounds like ‘die’ in the Hokkien dialect, which is a sensitive issue in oriental societies.

Mr Ang also narrated the story of an old man who would only say he was in the ward with many people instead of a Class C ward. This was because the man believed that saying it out loud would only bring bad luck.

The MP also highlighted how the Alfa Romeo 164, which sounds like ‘die all the way’ in Hokkien, did not sell well until the car's model number was changed to 168, which sounds like ‘prosper all the way’.

His suggestion which brought chuckles in the House - was to rename the Class C ward to Class 'E' - as in the economy class on planes

==========

Now is Class C or E?
Old 24-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #73
therat
Arofanatic

Ong Seh Hong
http://omcat.wordpress.com/2010/01/05/

It's kind of lengthy, so I only quote the discussion part
Quote:

The Session:

I started off explaining the background of the case and what CWS do on the ground to try to control the cat population. He wasn’t giving me much pockets of conversation window to actually cover what I want in detail and immediately made blanket statements like:

“I walk around the neighborhood. There are complaints of cats scratching cars. And when cats poo they do it on the sidewalk.”

It makes me wonder if he really saw the happenings or are they just hearsays he read / heard from other Town Councils and conveniently apply them here.

I appeal to him to balance the sentiments of cat haters and cat lovers. And he again blanket sweep concluding that there are more cat haters in this neighborhood than cat lovers. (Hmm…really? But this happen to be the Malay Village area, Geylang Serai…where healthy fat cats run in abundance and feeders try to keep up with the sterilizations).

I offered to do a survey of how many residents don’t mind tolerating cats, like cats, and hate cats. He said that if this survey was done by me, the responses will swing favorably to cat lovers. Unless I can show him survey results done by independent 3rd parties.

I proceeded to tell him that the complainant does not live in the neighborhood. He only comes back once in a blue moon to visit his parents. Why does he have the right to order Town Council to remove sterilised cats? Dr Ong offered no explanation and just asked me to go confront the complainant to “educate” him.

I responded that the people who need to be “educated” first would be the Town Council. I asked him what’s the rectification / resolution for this case and he said “NO RESOLUTION”. I asked if he’s going to remove a cat everytime someone complains and he said “yes”.

When I proceeded to “educate” him on the whole VACUUM EFFECT and what CWS do, he scoffed at me and very condescendingly tell me that I can fight all I want but they still act whenever there’s a complaint. He didn’t let me begin what I set out to say, let alone finish.

I never felt so disrespected or patronized when talking to an MP. I stood up, stared him in the eyes and asked him “SO WHERE’S THE VALUE-ADD FROM THIS MTP-SESSION?” He shrugged his shoulders and walked away…averting my glare the whole time.
Old 24-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #74
glyeo84
Dragon

Why not rename the ward using hokkien name...

Class A - Sibei wu lwee lang ward
Class B - Wu lwee lang ward
Class C - Sibei charm boh lwee lang ward
Old 24-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #75
therat
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyeo84 View Post

cannot cannot.
not everyone know hokkien
Old 24-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #76
HeiYuEr

Garfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyeo84 View Post

Class A - First class ward
Class B - Econ ward
Class C - Budget ward
Tel - 6384 9931
Fax - 6384 9932
Mobile - 9082 8282
24hrs Towing Service - 8777 1161
Old 24-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #77
holysinner
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic View Post
Not bad for 30K salary...in fact can count how much per handshake per wave of hands.
shake shake abit..wayang wayang..
smile..hug babies..
go france learn cooking..
so shiok
Old 24-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #78
holysinner
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by therat View Post
Don't say Tampines. Bedok also like that
Car park @ Blk 12x always flood after heavy rain. Nothing happen. Only until last election, come out in newspaper. got ppl jump out and say will look into it.
Within 1-2 mth, see workers to dig bigger drain.

bedok lift upgrading also very fast. Less than 1 yr can use liao.
But the quality quite bad. Always break-down.
must not be perfect..pass fire safety can liao..
wait u guys dun elect the mini-stirs up again..they waste effort leh..
they have to have projects for them to finish for next 4-5 yrs de leh..if not..
dun work..take citizens money..paisei leh..
Old 24-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #79
holysinner
Arofanatic

Quote:
http://www.depnet.com.sg/uni0/news/n...7/default.aspx

MP for Bukit Gombak GRC, Ang Mong Seng has called for Class C wards in hospitals to be re-named.

03/03/2008
By Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE: MP for Bukit Gombak GRC, Ang Mong Seng has called for Class C wards in hospitals to be re-named.

Speaking in Parliament on Monday, the Mr Ang noted that ‘C’ sounds like ‘die’ in the Hokkien dialect, which is a sensitive issue in oriental societies.

Mr Ang also narrated the story of an old man who would only say he was in the ward with many people instead of a Class C ward. This was because the man believed that saying it out loud would only bring bad luck.

The MP also highlighted how the Alfa Romeo 164, which sounds like ‘die all the way’ in Hokkien, did not sell well until the car's model number was changed to 168, which sounds like ‘prosper all the way’.

His suggestion which brought chuckles in the House - was to rename the Class C ward to Class 'E' - as in the economy class on planes

==========

Now is Class C or E?

but got BMW Z4...
honda Jazz 1.4 hot cakes leh.... yi dian si..die a little nia..only insurance shoot up
Old 24-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #80
holysinner
Arofanatic

Quote:
cannot cannot.
not everyone know hokkien
Alfa
bravo
charlie.
even charlie (char Li) fry u.. sian...poor man ward always lousy names..

how about..

Elites.
Middle.
MASS.
Closed Thread