Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 06-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
Steven Lee
Dragon

Default Love your country Serve your Country and Die for your Country

son die in NS , but still must send second son to die The following is a letter by LAWRENCE LOH KIAH MUAN published in the online version of the Today newspaper, 13 May 2009, “MP had no empathy”.

It started with Member of Parliament (MP) Seng Han Thong being set on fire. Then came MP Denise Phua who was threatened by a rag-and-bone man. Recently, MP Cynthia Phua was subjected to a display of violence by a constituent.

Although these incidents are disturbing and a cause for concern, I wonder whether the constituents are solely to be blamed.

Allow me to relate my personal experience.

In February 2001, my older son died in a naval accident whilst serving National Service. In that year, my younger son was due for enlistment. A friend, a very active grassroots member, suggested that I approach my MP, for help in exploring the possibility of getting an exemption for my younger son. I was reluctant but he went ahead to fix an appointment for me at the Meet-The-People Session (MPS). I subsequently relented and he accompanied me there. It was in March 2001. That was my first appearance at a MPS, and it was to be my last.

I waited until midnight before I could meet the MP. Prior to this, he was given the case paper which detailed the objective of the meeting and the circumstances of my case.

When I entered the room, his first remark was “Yes, what can I do for you?”. There was no attempt at offering a word of sympathy or condolence. I then related my situation and said that both my wife and I were very traumatised.

His next remark “What traumatic, after two months, you won’t be traumatic?”.

With that, I decided to end the meeting. And with that, my respect for him hit ground zero. I was too stunned and grief-stricken to react. Someone who was less-controlled and less-measured than me could have flown into a rage and become violent.

MPs are elected or appointed to serve the constituents. People who attend the MPS are those who have real problems and need help. In a lot of instances, they are stressed, distressed and troubled. What they need is a caring soul, a helping hand, a gentle voice, and words of hope and encouragement. To dispense these, MPs need good interpersonal skills and a high EQ. Arrogance, a patronizing, chiding and belittling attitude, aloofness and lack of empathy will only trigger acts of rashness and violence. Many of our politicians have a high IQ, some are scholars. However, a high IQ is not the only attribute needed in a political career. A high EQ is equally, if not more critical, especially when it comes to dealing with the constituents.

In my case, I would have felt good if my MP could have been a warm and caring person. If he could have been empathetic, consoling and helpful. All these qualities can only come from the heart, not from the mind.

How many of our MPs can stand up and be counted for this?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co....google.com.sg

We are paying MILLIONS of $$$$ to this kind of ELITE And we cannot raise any objections
This reminds me of "Saving Private Ryan"

Last edited by Steven Lee; 06-04-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Steven Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
jest1081
Dragon

Quote:
This reminds me of "Saving Private Ryan"
wah lau i watched that show a few months before i got enlisted.
sad. dont even feel like cheonging after that.
jest1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
jasmine

If a blind or handicap, I will just caste my vote for him/her even ah qua comes to Jurong. My mother in law house near jurong point, every step you walk at night, very likely you will kill 1-2 roaches. I mean it. It's very scary.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
LoNgFei

This is quite an old news if I remember correctly...
Old 06-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
Steven Lee
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoNgFei View Post
This is quite an old news if I remember correctly...
Ya I know it's old news but we are forgetful by nature,,, I remembered reading it some where,,, came to my mind so I googled and found this article,,,,

Really sad to know that we have tis kind of MPs,,,, Wonder if there's any worse case than this that we,,, or maybe I haven't heard of

HAS ANYTHING BEEN DONE?????? Any apology?????

IF anyone has the updated news please do me a favour,,, post it for me . Thank you in advance
Old 06-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
redbasser

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=373014
Old 06-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
Steven Lee
Dragon

Thank you Bro Redbasser,,, and my apology to MOD for repeating a post on this same topic. 3 years old liao,,, But just that election is round the corner and I happened to read this article somewhereJust can't help feeling frustrated that we have this kind of so called "Fisrt Class Elite" and want to share.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
genesis

KNNBCCB !!!
Old 06-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
smellyfish
Dragon

they should have a rule like AF. if you don't name the fella, write letter for what
smellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
Steven Lee
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfish View Post
they should have a rule like AF. if you don't name the fella, write letter for what
If name liao,,,,later kenna whack until teng kor how???Or even worse tio zao lor,,,, You should know how powerful they are,,,,