Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #51
richardg
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinLeong View Post
Now PAP also scared to intro silver spoon babies.... This one kampong boy with working class parents, worked his way up. Acting Minister Chan single parent, mother wash clothes brought him up.
yes thats good
enuf of elites...
Old 10-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #52
ilovechilired

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
The story we hear when I lived in Hougang in the 80s - 90s... not that they were chased out only. In the early 80s, the pig farmers were told to setup proper system to process animal waste. A lot of farmers spent huge sums on the system, only to be forced out. Many were driven to desperation and we hear the hearsays, several committed suicide in their farms. None reported but those old Hougang people will also have heard these stories.

If i'm not wrong, Qian Hu family were pig farmers in Punggol then... they were left desperate too. But the siblings pooled their remaining funds (somewhere around $20k then) and took a desperate live-or-die approach

But it remains as hearsay...
even the fish farms along tampines road right? opposite the air field now.. remember back when i was younger, there were rows and rows of farms around there.. all gone!!

this kinda thing i think ask my dad will know.. just tat nowadays seldom talk to him.. lol as for them belonging to lower income family or not, i dunno.. i am only sure of one thing, they are elite now.. some elites after become successful forget abt their upbringing too.. so these are me, are no exceptions

Old 10-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #53
jwhtan
Barney

Predictions

SDA - assuming Desmond Lim - lose deposit
Reform Party - Kenneth Jeyaratnam - lose deposit
Independent - Benjamin Pwee - lose deposit
SDP - assuming Eugene Wijeysigha - less than 15% of votes
WP - doesn't matter who - votes diluted by SDP
PAP - slightly less than 50% - wins By Election
Old 10-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #54
jwhtan
Barney

Opposition oppose everything ...... No holds barred ...... no following party directions .......

Party say " Dun shoot ur mouth off in cyberspace. In the long run, u will commit mistakes and what u say, even when u say it is ur personal view, will be taken as party views. "

Member " Ok. I resign. I go join another party. "

And then he carries on shooting his mouth, and at the same time badmouth the first party.

乌合之众,一盘散沙
Old 10-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #55
AlvinLeong
Dragon

Sometimes kopitiam talk can hear some people said, "this guy so cham sure lose one lah, i vote him try to help him not to lose his deposit".

They don't know every vote is important. That's why Reform, SDA and that Benjamin Pwee could add up to 10% of the valid votes count.

Would love to see SDP in parliament one day but thru sembawang, holland bukit timah, yuhua not punggol.

Should let WP "ride" on this AIM issue which they exposed to gather more seats in parliament.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #56
globalcookie
Dragon

Really hope the Opposition works out and have only 1 party contesting so they better the chance of having another Opposition MP.

The current focus is to weaken PAP's stance so they don't keep over forcing things down our throat and give us answers that seems to imply to us "you idiots, you pay for voting us in".
Old 10-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #57
Dave57

Quote:
Reform Party & SDP eye Punggol East by-election contest
By Saifulbahri Ismail, Kimberly Spykerman | Posted: 09 January 2013 2032 hrs

SINGAPORE: Reform Party's Secretary-General Kenneth Jeyaretnam has said his party is "strongly considering" whether or not to contest the upcoming Punggol East by-election.

But Mr Jeyaretnam said he will be the candidate fielded if the party does decide to do so.

He added that he would re-locate to live in Punggol East if he is elected.

"Punggol East you know is a quarter the size of West Coast, and so despite the short amount of time available, we are very confident. Locally on the ground, the residents have the same issues as most constituencies," he said.

On the possibility of a six-cornered fight, Mr Jeyaretnam said it is healthy for Singapore that the people are given a choice on ideology and who they think will be most effective.
I don't like the way he speaks and presents himself. Don't feel like he is sincere to serve the community. Sounds quite tua pow and yaya papaya...
Old 10-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #58
dragon888
Arofanatic

once more than 3 parties in this BE, Opp bo chance......and most probably will see some lost their deposit......
Old 10-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #59
globalcookie
Dragon

Yalor... what similar issues. Every estate has its own issues afterall.

This guy is living in the echos of his past dad, JBJ. In his fb, he kept quoting JBJ's works till I unlike myself.

Other parties will discuss about some observations and matters regarding the state and policies. This RP focus on matters that doesn't really bring politics and the country forward.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #60
WaveSurfer
Arofanatic

Quote:
Really hope the Opposition works out and have only 1 party contesting so they better the chance of having another Opposition MP.

The current focus is to weaken PAP's stance so they don't keep over forcing things down our throat and give us answers that seems to imply to us "you idiots, you pay for voting us in".
Well, SDP's Vincent just mentioned on Facebook that WP has repeatedly rejected/ignored their requests for a discussion on this BE, to select one opposition candidate for it.

I do support him but I can also understand why WP does not wish to engage in a talk with them, knowing Dr. Chee's stand (I read in news today) is to have WP giving up the competition this time so that other opposition parties can have a seat in parliament for different alternative voices. So WP probably know the meeting will steer towards WP giving up their chance for SDP, which I don't see why they should since at least they have walked the ground even in GE 2011. The opposition candidate with the highest chance to win should stand for this BE.
Closed Thread