Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 13-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #11
Freshman
Dragon

Absolute power....

enough said..
SG.GG.com

disappointed..

Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 02:39 PM   #12
Aris
Arofanatic

I always believe there should be some balance in parliament from the early days viewing parliamentary exchanges between J. B. Jeyaratnam, Chiam See Tong versus PAP. If anyone had the opportunity please view Chiam's parliamentary debate about HDB and how much it was making from building the flats, he was a lone ranger insisting he was right despite the drubbing he got from his detractors and ridiculed by Teh Chiang Wan who was the Minister of National Development who committed suicide while being investigated by CPIB.

I cannot understand Singaporeans who cared nothing about ensuring not to put all their eggs in one basket. IMO 2015 elections was a golden opportunity to change Singapore's political landscape to one that promotes a diversity of ideas to steer Singapore through our long journey into the future. It will not happen in my lifetime nor my children's as the opportunity has passed.

By then, with more Singaporeans dead replaced by new citizens, PAP will dominate Singapore politics and alternative voices will also give up as the odds will be insurmountable.
Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 06:22 PM   #13
AroHong

AFC Member

I voted because the PM stopped using the word Integrity one or two days into the campaigning, Ministers started lying in their campaign speeches.
My friends who supported incumbents were heavily involved on the Internet, some acting like they were undecided but continuously reposting comments of opposition about kicking out the ruling party and the possibility of a bunch of clowns as the new government.

I voted because I felt that my family with 5 voters didn't receive our polling cards because my Mom and Dad in their 80's went to the Meet the People session to check why they did not received $1,500 from the government when their friends had. Their ICs were copied and they where told to go home and ask from me because I'm rich.

But seriously I voted but after 50 years in power I started to get a glimpse of how power corrupts and how absolute power corrupts absolutely when not one but a few high flying ministers resort to lies.
I voted because I firmly believe we have started the count down for our children as long as checks and balances are not in place.
We need to start by denying a two thirds majority than proceed to finally to a new government to undo the rot that has infested the 50 years of unchecked system.

Last edited by AroHong; 13-09-2015 at 06:26 PM.
AroHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #14
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. But still I couldn't bring myself to vote for RP.
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #15
KAO LUO
Endangered Dragon

I was promised I would get ALL my CPF at 55yrs. I believe this promise has been broken.

price up no down and price no follow " market price"

wu e kong bo lang kong

ownself check ownself

give $$$ to oversea ppl to study
KAO LUO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #16
AroHong

AFC Member

Yes we want credible candidates to represent us.
What about incumbents who lie but no one dares to call them liars?
If some not up to mark gets voted in from opposition that can easily be resolved in the next election.
No one opposition party is able to form the government and their ideals and personality are too far apart to allow them to come together.

Last edited by AroHong; 13-09-2015 at 06:42 PM.
AroHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #17
dermarko
AFC Member

I decided to vote for the Opposition(WP) when I realized that the GRC scheme created by the ruling party is so unfair to the others. How can MPs get in via the backdoor??? Also I believe that ownself cannot check ownself.
dermarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #18
harrysoo
Dragon

Voted for the opposition
1) No faith PAP
2) Dun even know who my MP ( nvr seen them at all )
3) MIW in comfort zone for far too long, change is a must
4) Do not want my children suffer when grown up
harrysoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 07:10 PM   #19
WiNd.feNg
Dragon

I did not see the necessity to drive 6 hours to vote when my choices are between PAP and RP.

Previously, Yeo Guat Kwang was MP in my ward and he did a pretty good job. My estate is clean and facilities are ample. Mum had a chance to have lunch with him and felt that he was sincere and genuine.

Ultimately, I still do not believe in a one-party system. As far as my understanding of history gets me, any country where power is only controlled by one-party never stayed clean for long.
WiNd.feNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 07:35 PM   #20
AlvinLeong
Dragon

Seems like "Member of Parliament" in Singapore is more like an "Estate Manager" as people place cleaniness of estate more important than policies making and international matters.
AlvinLeong is offline   Reply With Quote