Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 09-05-2007, 09:45 PM   #21
the_r0ck

I like the feel but then the rocks are a little bit too big and makes the tank smaller. The right side is also quite weak but I don't know if that's what you want.

Overall I like the use of the marimo balls.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:51 PM   #22
lEddyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zealot View Post
Nope. To make it round, u need to keep it in a tank with strong current such that it would roll around forming a ball shape. If you laid it out as I have done, it may grow thicker but not round.

I have not touch this tank since I set it up 7 months back. It is slow growing but covering up the gaps nicely in my opinion.
you just gave me a good idea for my scape. thanks
Old 10-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #23
kencfk

Clever use of these algae balls sure is a good alternative to riccia or glosso which is harder to maintain for such a low tech setup to create similar carpet like aesthetics.

Well done!
Old 13-05-2007, 08:25 PM   #24
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

bro, u tempted me to get this marimo moss ball haha..
btw, u metion that u teared it up and palce on top of pebbles.. how long does it take to grow back to ball size?
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 09:06 PM   #25
zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
bro, u tempted me to get this marimo moss ball haha..
btw, u metion that u teared it up and palce on top of pebbles.. how long does it take to grow back to ball size?
I am not sure what you mean by ball size. This tank is 7 months, and the algae ball had been there since 7 months back. I didnt touch anything at all. It is really a low maintenance tank. Only added some Viet White Cloud recently.

The algae just get thicker and sort of merged together. It wont become a ball and it's not my intention to "ball" it.

Should you decide to keep it in the ball shape. U need to provide current to rotate it constantly. And once in a while, take it out and squeeze hard in your hand to remove the debris trapped inside.

With the way I keep it, it would not be possible to take it our and squeeze, hence I would have to clean the portion where the algae touches the front glass of the tank as it could be unsightly. I clean it once a month or longer,
Old 13-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #26
TROY041004
Senior Dragon

Nice! no CO2 but putting some fert? the leaves very green
TROY041004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 09:38 PM   #27
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
I am not sure what you mean by ball size. This tank is 7 months, and the algae ball had been there since 7 months back. I didnt touch anything at all. It is really a low maintenance tank. Only added some Viet White Cloud recently.

The algae just get thicker and sort of merged together. It wont become a ball and it's not my intention to "ball" it.

Should you decide to keep it in the ball shape. U need to provide current to rotate it constantly. And once in a while, take it out and squeeze hard in your hand to remove the debris trapped inside.

With the way I keep it, it would not be possible to take it our and squeeze, hence I would have to clean the portion where the algae touches the front glass of the tank as it could be unsightly. I clean it once a month or longer,
okay.. thanks for advice.. maybe when i buy i would tear them apart too.. put as lawn
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 09:48 PM   #28
zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROY041004 View Post
Nice! no CO2 but putting some fert? the leaves very green
No fert. Not even seachem excel.
Old 13-05-2007, 10:34 PM   #29
skysky

Quote:
By tearing it open and lay it as a foreground, the base which is not exposed to the light would be brownish.
Impressive !!! So you tear them open and lay them down, do you need to tied them down ? How many algea balls you brought to create that effect ? wow very nice indeed !
Old 13-05-2007, 11:11 PM   #30
wilsonawt
Arofanatic

Default nice!

I like the Marimos ball concept..how long do youtrun on the light daily? it is aircon environment and is there shrimps in it?
wilsonawt is offline   Reply With Quote