Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 23-09-2011, 04:38 AM   #11
blackgf
Arofanatic

2ft tank for 9 gf? Is a no no, the most u can go for 3 gf less than one inch size. No sand, gravel or soil whatsoever at the bottom. Cloudy water due to overload gf, poo-poo, food etc.

Yr gf will die faster than u blink with yr tank setup. Even with a powerful canister won't help much as yr tank bioload is super overloaded!!

If you wants to keep plant & gf for yr tank this how I do it.

1) 2 gf
2) plant on wood
3) bottom is empty
blackgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
huizhong

Hi bro,
firstly your tank is overcrowded.
Problems that u face are :
1) it may look ok to you but the bio-load is too high.
2) bio-load high thus lead to poor water quality, and gfs get sick easily and die
3)gfs given a small space would grow slower
4)plants all eaten up gfs. u can try those big leaves plants like nana or java fern. dun need Co2. low tech plants with low light.

A general guide is 1 fish per 10 gallons. 2ft is about 15-20+ gallons.
1) i recommand to keep 2 gfs inside your 2ft tank.
2) pearlscales are hard to keep, they sometime die without any reasons. so for a hardier type of gf.
3) go for those sinking type of pellets. floating type may result in higher risk of swim bladder problem(sbp).
4) look out for gfs with sbp before u purchase them. sbp are almost impossible to cure. your gf that was floating upside down might be a sign of sbp. so read up on the signs of sbp to know how to identify.
Old 23-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
2goldies

Default 2ft tank - kept only 2 goldfish

I agree with all the sugestions here. To be safe, I kept 2 goldfish only with one 2 inch sized goldfish and one 1 -inch ranchu. I'm using Eheim cannister with CR and substrate for bio logical filtration and 3-tier OHF with a 1400l/hr powerhead to run the OHF. Feeding only twice a day with a quarter teaspoon of fish food only.
Old 23-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #14
UnSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgf View Post
2ft tank for 9 gf? Is a no no, the most u can go for 3 gf less than one inch size. No sand, gravel or soil whatsoever at the bottom. Cloudy water due to overload gf, poo-poo, food etc.

Yr gf will die faster than u blink with yr tank setup. Even with a powerful canister won't help much as yr tank bioload is super overloaded!!

If you wants to keep plant & gf for yr tank this how I do it.

1) 2 gf
2) plant on wood
3) bottom is empty
Very good setup. Less fish less problem.
Old 27-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #15
swlk
Arofanatic

Default No no

Hi, agreed with what most of the brothers wrote here. Understand the desire to see a tank with many beauties. Unfortunately, GFs eat and poo a lot and the water become bad very fast. You need a strong filtering system to handle the massive bioload. If you really want to keep a planted tank with GF, maybe use a plastic sheet to separate them so that the GF can't eat the plant. Just my 2 cents input.
swlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #16
sapiloncat80

Hi bros...

thanks for your comments.....
i keep on changing the water every 2 days about 60 - 70% and yet my gf keep on dying.
now I left with 4 gf...
after reading this comments 2 days ago.... I directly more 2 gf to my 5ft tank and left 2 in 2ft tanks.

found out that the gf at 5ft tank is more happier tank 2ft tank even with so many tetra & guppy there.

to blackgf : wondering if u add Co2 to your plant.. because if I add CO2 then my gf not really happy... they need air alot... so I must stop my CO2... now my plant starting to die... left mostly nana... hik... do u pump CO2 also ?

to huizhong : wow.. so nice info... just if I know this before my setup, thing gonna be different.... only read blackgf thread before I start....

to all : do you think I need to re-setup my whole tanks... (i mean completely new setup). ? what think I should throw and add to keep Gf : here is in my list : (pls comment)
1. canister vs ohf.... if keep canister can ?
2. gravel... no no or no prob ?
3. plant... just nana & jave fern
4. CO2... throw away...
5. add air pump or no need ?
6. 2ft = 2gf

anything to add or comment ?
really never think that keep gf is harder than keep planted tank hahahaahaha

thanks bros
Old 27-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #17
swlk
Arofanatic

Default Guarantine, Guarantine, Guarantine

Hello, you did not mention about guarantine for yr newly bought GF. Not advisable to put newly bought fish into main tank. Find from the web on how to guarantine the fish.
It's OK to have more than one filter system, so suggest you use both and see if you can tie the plants to driftwood. Remove all sands but take out the fishes before you do that or all the dirts will kill the fishes.
Did you use aged water or add anti-chorine to new water.
Old 28-09-2011, 03:57 AM   #18
blackgf
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapiloncat80 View Post

to blackgf : wondering if u add Co2 to your plant.. because if I add CO2 then my gf not really happy... they need air alot... so I must stop my CO2... now my plant starting to die... left mostly nana... hik... do u pump CO2 also ?

to huizhong : wow.. so nice info... just if I know this before my setup, thing gonna be different.... only read blackgf thread before I start....

to all : do you think I need to re-setup my whole tanks... (i mean completely new setup). ? what think I should throw and add to keep Gf : here is in my list : (pls comment)
1. canister vs ohf.... if keep canister can ?
2. gravel... no no or no prob ?
3. plant... just nana & jave fern
4. CO2... throw away...
5. add air pump or no need ?
6. 2ft = 2gf

thanks bros
nope, my 2ft tank without pump in CO2 at all.

1) 2ft tank - I would prefer canister ( more open space at the top). I've DIY OHF for my 2ft tank u shld hv comes across it if u read up my thread.
2) no gravel - empty bottom tank
3) plant - get those plants with big leaves
4) CO2 - keep it for your next shrimp or plant tank, else sell it
5) yes - add those tubing type, hook up to yr air pump & switch it on for 24/7
6) 2ft tank is perfect for 2 gf.
blackgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #19
stargazer
Dragon

Bro, consider 3 ft tank and put gravel...I used to put my gfs in 2 ft and the tank is always cloudy...because of all the reasons the bros mentioned here...

Subsequently I placed in 3 ft and do up some simple landscape...looks nicer
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #20
swlk
Arofanatic

Default Sump

Hi, if possible go for bigger tank with sump. The sump tank will provide more water and can support more fishes in the main tank beside providing better filtering system. IMHO.

Tags
goldfish, planted, setup, tank