Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 31-07-2004, 10:45 PM   #1
monsterz1975

Default T5 lighting

Is a T5 light enought for a 1.5ft deep tank?30w 10000k?
Old 31-07-2004, 10:54 PM   #2
KaLiB

For 1.5', T5 can be used.

Do you mean 39W? 30W is just normal output.
Old 31-07-2004, 11:01 PM   #3
monsterz1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB
For 1.5', T5 can be used.

Do you mean 39W? 30W is just normal output.
It state 30w 12000k for the white and 30w for the blue and it a dymax.Cos i be keeping coral and if it not enough i going to add another 2 white tube.
Old 31-07-2004, 11:05 PM   #4
KaLiB

The Dymax T5s are normal output. Get the high output ones, better for corals due to the higher amount of light. For 3', you can get the 39W tube which would beat the 30W tube you saw. Just make sure the light ballast is suited for the 39W tube.

Aquaz is currently selling cheap high output T5s. Here are a list of dealers selling Aquaz T5s.
http://www.aquaz.org/sg_dealers.html
Old 31-07-2004, 11:24 PM   #5
monsterz1975

Quote:
The Dymax T5s are normal output. Get the high output ones, better for corals due to the higher amount of light. For 3', you can get the 39W tube which would beat the 30W tube you saw. Just make sure the light ballast is suited for the 39W tube.

Aquaz is currently selling cheap high output T5s. Here are a list of dealers selling Aquaz T5s.
http://www.aquaz.org/sg_dealers.html
If i use 3 white tube 30w?
Old 31-07-2004, 11:29 PM   #6
KaLiB

If your using 3x30W, i guess you should be able to keep the easier corals like mushrooms, buttons. Furthermore, the tank isn't very deep.

Maybe the bros who are more familiar with T5s can help here. I'm not sure if normal output T5s would do better than FLs.
Old 31-07-2004, 11:47 PM   #7
ReDDeviLs

dymax is cheap,but are slightly better than FL i guess...
go for the real T5 expensive yes.. but u will be able to have everything and no need 3tubes..
dont forget 1 xtra tube means xtra hot!
Old 31-07-2004, 11:48 PM   #8
monsterz1975

Quote:
If your using 3x30W, i guess you should be able to keep the easier corals like mushrooms, buttons. Furthermore, the tank isn't very deep.

Maybe the bros who are more familiar with T5s can help here. I'm not sure if normal output T5s would do better than FLs.
Thanks for the info bro.
Old 31-07-2004, 11:49 PM   #9
monsterz1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDDeviLs
dymax is cheap,but are slightly better than FL i guess...
go for the real T5 expensive yes.. but u will be able to have everything and no need 3tubes..
dont forget 1 xtra tube means xtra hot!
So can i use back the housing and just change the tube?
Old 01-08-2004, 12:05 AM   #10
KaLiB

You need to try to find out if the ballast in the light holder is rated for the high output T5s(in your case since its 3', it would be 39W).

If the ballast is rated for up to 30W tubes, then you got no choice but to use the normal output T5s or change the ballast. You can't use a 30W ballast to drive a 39W light tube.