Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 07-10-2004, 04:32 PM   #11
nim75sg

Well, Well, Well .. To Have a Needle Wheel or Beckett Skimmer ... That's is the question on everyone's mind.

My take is very simple ... Beckett style skimmer uses brute force which requires a very powerful pump to force water down a narrow tube with air and the other tube as the reaction chamber.

They are very good for large home aquarium .. preferably for tank capacity of 2000 litres and anything less is an overkill in terms of dollars over performance.

In reality, they are somewhat using the Downdraft concept but Beckette use a special nozzle for to "force" it. So if you don't have a large reaction chamber .. (at least 36"), forget about using this.

The huge size of both the skimmer and the pump required to run it plus the operating cost, the heat generated, the noise and the cleaning hassles put me off from using the Beckett.

Take note of Bro Nitro's comments ...maintenace is a hassle for Beckett and personally, I consider less maintenace with reliability (consistence fine bubbles) the most influencing factor in considering a skimmer for my tank.

Popular does not always mean effective ...

My choice of skimmer is obvious from the makers of Deltec & Aqua Medic.

And bro, fyi, I am using just a Deltec MCE600 for one of my 6ft tank and you can drink kopi-0 everyday and will serve you a cuppa this weekend .

Likewise for my Aqua-Medic which operates only 3 times a week only and can have teh-O or kopi-0 ..... Rest of the week is off day because of phyto dosage.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:27 PM   #12
devilfire

i think bro monster shd seek opinions fr those who hav use a needle wheel skimmer n a beckett in order 2 get a better pic.

i myself is not in a good position 2 comment such, as so far i had oni used 3 types of skimmers.

i must say there r still misconceptions everywhere.

bro monster, skimmers like aquamedic, euro reef, aquac, hns r all proven skimmers. they belong to the "TOP OF THE RANGE".

question is, y r so many locals giving them up 4 beckett? n i'm 1 of them

y not seek reviews fr each individual skimmers users. like 4 aquamedics, u can ask bro ken n ekia. hns u can ask bro jon. beckett u can ask bro gary. aquaC u can ask non other than ME!

oh ya, ask bro nigel. he used a HnS n a beckett b 4.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:04 PM   #13
Tigger

how abt HnS?
Old 07-10-2004, 09:22 PM   #14
ah^siao

i'm not selling the skimmer..

i've used HnS macro venturi before.. the performance is still not wad i'm getting from the beckett i'm using now.
though HnS gives me good kopi O every few days.. i still feel that it is not that enough.. i was using a 850L model on my 400L reef...

as i'll be going into SPS soon.. i feel that the HnS is not up to the job... thus the change to a beckett.. and i can see the difference in my beckett and my HnS skimmer the bubbles.. beckett is much smaller.. and finer.. and more bubbles...

at the end of the day is still up to u.. budget, space, your electricity bill? these are the factors that u gotta consider
Old 08-10-2004, 12:24 AM   #15
monsterz1975

Thanks bros for all the info and i reall cana make up my mind yet.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:36 AM   #16
spsman

Default buy HnS

good, better, best! never let it rest.

Hns is the best so far. check their technology.. they cater to govt water processing plants...

talk abt the standards.. i still believe in german tech. also the reason why i chose turbelle over seio.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:34 AM   #17
ah^siao

another more important factor is the pricing i believe..
needle wheel now is like considered cheap cauz macro got needle wheel also and they are also producing pretty good skimmate comparing to HnS?
so if u wanna get needle wheel.. get macro.. it's hell lot cheaper... the biggest unit is like also much cheaper than the smallest model(brand new) for HnS...

if HnS is really so good.. y some people keeping SPS still bother to go and get beckett? because they got too much money to space? or because of wad?

beckett the only cons is that it requires a presure rated pump to run it.. but now.. non-pressure rated pumps are able to run them too... and it has been proven..

if u are going to keep sps in the future.. get a beckett is more worth it... think in the long term.. don get a hns and regret few months down the road.. and also beckett u are able to upgrade easily & cheaper considering that u getting a new bigger unit for a needlewheel skimmer like the HnS..

i believe if u keeping fishes that does not requires lots of feeding and does not poo so much and keeping only softies.. a HnS will do the job.. but if u wan nice colourful sps with schools of anthais.. a beckett will more like it.. that's wad i think...

at the end of the day is still up to u..
Old 09-10-2004, 03:18 AM   #18
spsman

Default hn s still better bcos

macro is different from hns becos it is made of low grade plastic. the hns is made of ABS plastic which is by industry standard the best.
try throwing the beckett acrylic on the floor. i gurantee it will crack.... tada..

beckett technology never made it to commercial water plants. becos it was non economical to do so and the acrylic wears off after some time.
abs plastic will never be worn off by chemicals in the water. abrasion of fine particles in the acrylic Beckett makes the whole structure weak after many years.
so i beget, if u wana keep sps or whatever, dun risk your tank inhabitants to the possibility of breakdown aka wear and tear.

the issue of having many fishes in a tank is up to each person's skill and knowledge of maintaining balance. look at baracuda, he doesn't even skim.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:19 AM   #19
spsman

Default oh before i forget

the qn on why some ppl change fm hns to beckett is likely to be trend i suppose. maybe becos they dun wana lose out in the trend?
i reserve my comments on that one.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:32 AM   #20
Ekia

Anyway HnS and Macro standard is a whole world of a difference. You can ask Macro needlewheel users... their skimmate is really not up to standard. Not sure about the difference between Aqua-Medic and HnS though. My Aqua-Medic can skim black 1inch of black liquid + thick mud sticking on the 'funnel' every 2-3 days... don't think Macro can do that... maybe it can do that but not at such a fast rate. I'm sure HnS can do it though.

if u are going to keep sps in the future.. get a beckett is more worth it... think in the long term.. don get a hns and regret few months down the road.. and also beckett u are able to upgrade easily & cheaper considering that u getting a new bigger unit for a needlewheel skimmer like the HnS..

I don't understand this part.... why using beckett u can upgrade easily and cheaper?

Anyway all of us including u have mentioned that Beckett only drawback is its high electrical consumption... and sure it skims a lot better i must agree... so its back to the same old words.. the user has to weigh the pros and cons and decide for himself which suits him better