Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 22-11-2008, 01:52 AM   #1
ThoughTs

Default did something stupid, shrimps dying [PESTICIDE FROM NEW PLANT]

Really a bad day, in the middle of my exams, as I have finished one of my "hell" module, decided to go LFS relax buy some stuff before continue studying

bought some plants, introduced into the tank, go to the washroom and come back, my shrimps like very excited swimming around, especially the shrimplets, so many of them which i usually dont see as they r hiding..

then I realised the are swimming weirdly, more like twitching and then motionless and let the current carry them.. and I realised disaster!!! snail poison??

did a 50% WC, they still twitching and dying one by one, really a very very heart breaking sight.. gotta wait till tomorrow to see the full damage my stupidity had caused me..

and to think its the middle of my exams.. i really feel vv distressed now.. my studying desk is directly next to my tank..

but well.. hope some bros will be able to benefit and learn from my painful mistake..
Old 22-11-2008, 02:03 AM   #2
dennal

sad to hear that ... next time better wash b4 put any new plant in ur tank.. dun think to much. shrimp die can buy more.. study hard fail exam need to retake and gpa drop this is worst than shrimp die...
Old 22-11-2008, 02:30 AM   #3
Patrique

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennal View Post
sad to hear that ... next time better wash b4 put any new plant in ur tank.. dun think to much. shrimp die can buy more.. study hard fail exam need to retake and gpa drop this is worst than shrimp die...
agree.. u can always start your setup again, not as costly as being distracted during your exam period... prioritize bro! all the best for your exams and your shrimp tank!
Old 22-11-2008, 03:50 AM   #4
ghim

Dont get too worried with your shrimps for now. Study well and you will be rewarded in future
Old 22-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
chocolate
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghim View Post
Dont get too worried with your shrimps for now. Study well and you will be rewarded in future
agreed....good results will determine u to get more shrimps in future
chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
Leong68
Endangered Dragon

sad to hear that, bro
Leong68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
globalcookie
Dragon

Always soak (like quarantin) plants for a while before introducing into tank. This not only help clean e plants, but also reduce chances of introducing snails or parasites into e tank.

I tink it's not abt monetary lost but seeing LIVES lost that is causing e guilt.

Shimps' lifes are in our hands and if we are not serious, might as well not keep it. What shrimp die can buy more?
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #8
ThoughTs

i actually sat in front of my tank till 4 am and see them die one by one..
300++ shrimps now estimated less den 20

and the remaining ones don't seem to be behaving normally too.. some still twitching and lying on their backs..

ya its not the money.. they have been with me for half a year.. from a humble 50 shrimps grow till a huge population..

what is the problem?? snail poison?? my hillstream loaches don't seem the least affected but my bumble bee horned seemed alot less active than usual.. but with snails, its not as easy to judge..

might buy a puffer to end their suffering..
Old 22-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #9
69efan69

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Always soak (like quarantin) plants for a while before introducing into tank. This not only help clean e plants, but also reduce chances of introducing snails or parasites into e tank.

I tink it's not abt monetary lost but seeing LIVES lost that is causing e guilt.

Shimps' lifes are in our hands and if we are not serious, might as well not keep it. What shrimp die can buy more?
Yeaaa i will feel the same about losing shrimps lives. I also have this bad habit of putting plants straight away. How long do you guys "quarantine" the plants before putting into shrimps tank?
Old 22-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
trevally
Dragon

Sad to hear the news. I dun think parasites will immediately kill your shrimp. More like there's medication or copper that come with the plants. Next time, when introducing new plants into the tank, remember to wash it thoroughly or soak it for a few days.
trevally is offline   Reply With Quote