Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Fanatics Club Activities

Closed Thread

Old 20-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #31
angelo
Senior Dragon

Old 20-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #32
angelo
Senior Dragon

-The End-
Old 21-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #33
Spakase

Some notable points (revised based on feedback) brought up during the discussion:

Crossback
1. 6-7 inches fishes do not have pearlies, it takes 9 to 12 months for pearlies to appear in xbs. WTT is used to "bring on" the pearlies on young fishes as hobbyists use pearlies as a gauge to xb quality.

2. True bloodlines of xb exist today but they are very rare and hard to come by (some good news for those who have given up hope!)

Reds
3. Reds are difficult to breed in SG because the soil conditions are very different from their natural habitat. As a result, farms tend to crossbreed Reds with xb to get Tongyan as hybrids seem to breed more readily.

4. Tongyans are unpredictable in their final outcome, and some results are negative. Merlion Harmony is a mix of several arowanas. Speaker believes that the Merlion Harmony is exceptional and has several tanks showing the Merlion Harmony. (My own personal assessment: most buyers of arowanas, however, prefer to have the fish as closely original as possible. If it is a Red, the glory of the fish lies in the enormity of the body with redness throughout. If it is a crossback, the gold is so intense it can make a grown man cry. Tongyans are not fully accepted yet in the hobbyist world, which is unlike the LH industry, but these are the subtle nuances we pick up in our social circles).

Breeding
8. Males are longer and have bigger heads than females. One can try to guess the sex by the behaviour as males tend to be more dominant. However, sexing is not easy and can only be confirmed at breeding. (My comment: no earthshaking news, these are commonly known. Another farm uses technology to track the breeding behaviour of arowanas)

9. The speaker says that female arowanas have been known to lay 4 times a year, producing up to 60 eggs on each round. (My own assessment: Based on market feedback, one female laying 60 eggs at one time is not usual, this is not to say it would not happen. The average record of the laying of eggs is 2 times a year with 20 eggs each time, and as the aro grows into full maturity, 30 eggs. For information, the harvesting we witnessed in Dreamfish itself yielded only 17 fry, so the market feedback is not far off).

Old 21-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #34
gtohow
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcovenant78 View Post
Wow, this is really a good educational trip. too bad I miss it
err. u miss so many events already. when renewing Afc member?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo View Post

love this shot... mini car show...

Quote:

bro, see lah, use so much flash.... feel like dull gold liao..

Quote:

nice buffet intro..

Last edited by gtohow; 21-03-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 21-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #35
angelo
Senior Dragon

Sorry lorh, next time will not use flash.
Old 21-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #36
gtohow
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
just kidding lah... i still hoping to get wireless flash, then can use flash over the tank...
Old 21-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #37
SoToNgMaN

Senior Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohow View Post
just kidding lah... i still hoping to get wireless flash, then can use flash over the tank...
In my opinion ... as long as end-product is sustained ... why bother with usage of flashes or even studio strobes ...

"Huo Dao Lao Xue Dao Lao"
Knowledge shall I seek till wither

Photography Gallery
http://www.watchsg.com
Old 21-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #38
angelo
Senior Dragon

During this event, I took aros photos using three methods, remote top down flash, direct front flash and without flash. May be you would like to try to see which is which.
Old 21-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #39
SoToNgMaN

Senior Moderator

Quote:
During this event, I took aros photos using three methods, remote top down flash, direct front flash and without flash. May be you would like to try to see which is which.
Guess correctly got price or not?

"Huo Dao Lao Xue Dao Lao"
Knowledge shall I seek till wither

Photography Gallery
http://www.watchsg.com
Old 21-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #40
gtohow
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoToNgMaN View Post
In my opinion ... as long as end-product is sustained ... why bother with usage of flashes or even studio strobes ...
... aro got freak out by flash and start jumping?
eg: no flashes allow during aquarama exhibition...
pls advise.
Closed Thread