Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 10-12-2017, 02:37 PM   #1
Natureman
Dragon

Default How to increase shrimp population?

My PRS seemed to stop increase in numbers after reaching a few hundred pcs in 3 ft tank. pH is 6.2, TCS is around 130 ppm and water temp set at 24oC. Any thing can stimulate mating and breeding of new shrimplets?
Natureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:37 PM   #2
leezhengxi

increase your temp to 25-26, do more wc, feed high protein food

花有重开日,人无再少年
leezhengxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #3
Natureman
Dragon

Thanks for the suggestion. Will try out yr tips.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #4
Natureman
Dragon

10% WC per week is ok or need more frequent?
Old 12-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #5
leezhengxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natureman View Post
10% WC per week is ok or need more frequent?
can increase to 20-30%, maintain tds at 100-130ppm

花有重开日,人无再少年
Old 12-12-2017, 10:22 PM   #6
wllm33
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezhengxi View Post
increase your temp to 25-26, do more wc, feed high protein food
the lfs says my crs died cos my temp was shifted too high after my air con off for the night.
I interpret this as temp going too high. He also advised me to use a chiller to maintain temp to 23-24 deg c.

Does prl need higher temp or the advice given by the lfs is wrong . I can't keep my crs alive, so very scared to venture into prl , unless get a chiller.

pl help me to clarify.
thnks
wllm33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 12:17 AM   #7
leezhengxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wllm33 View Post
the lfs says my crs died cos my temp was shifted too high after my air con off for the night.
I interpret this as temp going too high. He also advised me to use a chiller to maintain temp to 23-24 deg c.

Does prl need higher temp or the advice given by the lfs is wrong . I can't keep my crs alive, so very scared to venture into prl , unless get a chiller.

pl help me to clarify.
thnks

When keep caridinas like CRS for example, you need constant temperature. when you off your aircon, temperature can go up too high, and morning you turn back on your aircon, temperature fluctuates too much.

fluctuations of temperature, or water perimeters will cause shrimps to die because they are quite sensitive to changes.

Getting a chiller makes temperature constant. which is why shrimps will thrive. temperature also cannot be too low because it will decrease metabolism for the shrimp, your shrimps will grow slower, but at a lower temperature the colours will be very nice.

if your temperature is too high, they shrimps will look like they will have colour loss, and too hot they cannot take it. especially caridinas. thats why 25-26 is the optimum temperature, in my opinion.

Working at Aquarist Chamber has taught me all these, although i do not keep shrimps personally at home anymore

花有重开日,人无再少年
Old 13-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #8
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

Is higher temperatures ok for pintos, wine red and pandas and all the other hybrids as well?
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 01:28 AM   #9
leezhengxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyyouknow View Post
Is higher temperatures ok for pintos, wine red and pandas and all the other hybrids as well?
rule of thumb for me is caridinas <26 degrees. Neocaridinas <30 degrees.

Neos are hardier. But i have seen caridnas survive in higher than 26, but they dont breed well in higher temperature.

花有重开日,人无再少年
Old 15-12-2017, 12:37 AM   #10
wllm33
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezhengxi View Post
When keep caridinas like CRS for example, you need constant temperature. when you off your aircon, temperature can go up too high, and morning you turn back on your aircon, temperature fluctuates too much.

fluctuations of temperature, or water perimeters will cause shrimps to die because they are quite sensitive to changes.

Getting a chiller makes temperature constant. which is why shrimps will thrive. temperature also cannot be too low because it will decrease metabolism for the shrimp, your shrimps will grow slower, but at a lower temperature the colours will be very nice.

if your temperature is too high, they shrimps will look like they will have colour loss, and too hot they cannot take it. especially caridinas. thats why 25-26 is the optimum temperature, in my opinion.

Working at Aquarist Chamber has taught me all these, although i do not keep shrimps personally at home anymore
kam sia
wllm33 is offline   Reply With Quote