Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 19-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #11
Natureman
Dragon

With climate change, day time indoor temp in Sg can hit 30oC or more in some days. Above 30oC , most shrimps can't survive. Chiller is the only way if serious about shrimp keeping. Fans may not be enough to lower the temp if it is too hot.
Natureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 11:45 PM   #12
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Nice to know many bros here still keeping shrimps... fans may lower the temp but tough to hit 24-25 degree unless is in a cooling place , also fan makes water evaporation very fast. Chiller is a good investment.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #13
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

Yeah chiller is the way to go or else if you have many tanks then go for aircon. Just slightly more expensive in terms of electrical bill compared to fan but at least more reliable and less changes to water parameters because of water loss through evaporation.
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:48 PM   #14
Natureman
Dragon

Default Beware of China made TDS meter

I was using those cheap $8 TDS pen. It was ok for 2 yrs then it stopped working. Replaced new batteries also not working. The last reading of my shrimp tank water was 140 ppm with this TDS pen before stopped working. Then I bought a new one of the same China made TDS pen. And was surprised the reading with the new pen was at 95 ppm, very different from 140 shown by the old pen. 95 ppm is too soft for prl shrimps. That may explain why the shrimp population not increasing! So becareful of this China made TDS pen, may not be accurate after sometime
Old 11-03-2018, 10:58 AM   #15
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

For me, more frequent wc and also by adding the chilli crabs carapace after washing.

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time.
Use imgur for your photos sharing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.imgur.mobile
Ong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:03 PM   #16
wllm33
Dragon

is chiller absolute for crs or pinto?
wllm33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:54 AM   #17
leezhengxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natureman View Post
I was using those cheap $8 TDS pen. It was ok for 2 yrs then it stopped working. Replaced new batteries also not working. The last reading of my shrimp tank water was 140 ppm with this TDS pen before stopped working. Then I bought a new one of the same China made TDS pen. And was surprised the reading with the new pen was at 95 ppm, very different from 140 shown by the old pen. 95 ppm is too soft for prl shrimps. That may explain why the shrimp population not increasing! So becareful of this China made TDS pen, may not be accurate after sometime
best way to check if TDS pen working, go and use it on distilled water, should be 0 or close to 0.

95ppm is still okay, but what i feel optimum is 100-130

花有重开日,人无再少年
leezhengxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:57 AM   #18
leezhengxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wllm33 View Post
is chiller absolute for crs or pinto?
some shrimps might be able to survive in hotter water, maybe 27-28. but they will have lousier colouration compared to those in cool temperature. the cooler the temperature, the better the colour on your shirmp.

but if it's too cold, their metabolism will slow down, and might not grow as big and fast, compared to those keeping in 25-26deg water.

that being said, chiller is absolute, if you want your shrimps to thrive. if you want to keep them alive, its possible without a chiller.

花有重开日,人无再少年
Old 12-03-2018, 01:58 AM   #19
leezhengxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ong88 View Post
For me, more frequent wc and also by adding the chilli crabs carapace after washing.
your way of keeping differ from mainstream hobbyist la hahahahaa

花有重开日,人无再少年
Old 12-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #20
Natureman
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ong88 View Post
U add the crab shell? Isn't it same same as adding coral chips to increase water hardness?