Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 14-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #11
chong99

AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazhrmghg View Post
AA is so difficult to keep, great job bro!!
Yes for first 3months... Now direct tap water in during wc...
chong99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 10:42 AM   #12
khunlim
Arofanatic

Hi bro,

I like your scape, it looks so natural...

I am preparing my 3ft tank and will be low tech planted (lightly planted with some nanas and java ferns) to create resemblance to their natural habitat. I will be using HELP advanced soil for plants this time because previously I used ADA Amazonia soil and have to wait for 4 weeks for the ammonia to drop to zero. ADA soil will cause ammonia spike during the initial stage for up to few weeks, this so ADA claimed that they intentionally do it this way to boost BB growth as ammonia is a good source of food for BB. Anyway, I do not have the time to wait because I need to quickly transfer all my fishes to my new tank and clear away my current tank ASAP because of space constraint to keep both tanks at the same time. I used HELP advanced soil before and there is no ammonia spike and tank can be cycled much faster than using ADA soil. Nutrients level is not as bad either. So this time, I decided to go for HELP advanced soil instead.

I saw that you use sand which look beautiful rather than just black colour soil. Can I know what sand are you using? And are you covering only the foreground with light color sand as top layer on top of the soil?? Or the unplanted foreground portion is just only sand without soil? Need your advice before I decided what to do because once mixing up soil and sand, it will be a disaster to separate them.

Or any experienced hobbyist can advise? Thanks.
khunlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #13
chong99

AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khunlim View Post
Hi bro,

I like your scape, it looks so natural...

I am preparing my 3ft tank and will be low tech planted (lightly planted with some nanas and java ferns) to create resemblance to their natural habitat. I will be using HELP advanced soil for plants this time because previously I used ADA Amazonia soil and have to wait for 4 weeks for the ammonia to drop to zero. ADA soil will cause ammonia spike during the initial stage for up to few weeks, this so ADA claimed that they intentionally do it this way to boost BB growth as ammonia is a good source of food for BB. Anyway, I do not have the time to wait because I need to quickly transfer all my fishes to my new tank and clear away my current tank ASAP because of space constraint to keep both tanks at the same time. I used HELP advanced soil before and there is no ammonia spike and tank can be cycled much faster than using ADA soil. Nutrients level is not as bad either. So this time, I decided to go for HELP advanced soil instead.

I saw that you use sand which look beautiful rather than just black colour soil. Can I know what sand are you using? And are you covering only the foreground with light color sand as top layer on top of the soil?? Or the unplanted foreground portion is just only sand without soil? Need your advice before I decided what to do because once mixing up soil and sand, it will be a disaster to separate them.

Or any experienced hobbyist can advise? Thanks.
Hi bro,
Thanks. The fishes are doing well in the tank
I used ada soil at the background where I keep my plants. Foreground is covered with normal lapis sand. Hope this help. Do share your scape with us.
Cheers
Old 18-03-2015, 09:13 PM   #14
khunlim
Arofanatic

Hi bro, thanks for sharing. Covered with lapis sand means below is still ADA soil?
Old 18-03-2015, 09:38 PM   #15
chong99

AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khunlim View Post
Hi bro, thanks for sharing. Covered with lapis sand means below is still ADA soil?
No, just pure lapis sand.
Old 18-03-2015, 09:42 PM   #16
khunlim
Arofanatic

Thks ... Will share my scape when complete.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #17
khunlim
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong99 View Post
Hi bro,
Thanks. The fishes are doing well in the tank
I used ada soil at the background where I keep my plants. Foreground is covered with normal lapis sand. Hope this help. Do share your scape with us.
Cheers
Hi Chong,

As per your request, I had just rescape my 3ft tank last 2 weeks ago.

Low Tech Planted, Jungle Theme.

Hard Scape only... no plants and no water yet.

Add in plants and water........... and some tetras to cycle the tank.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:02 PM   #18
chong99

AFC Member

wow!~~ very nice bro!!! no horse run
love to driftwood and the plants! doesn't look low tech at all.
cheers...
Old 08-04-2015, 12:45 AM   #19
patclay
Dragon

Bro Khunlim. Very nice set up!👍
patclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #20
leepwj
Arofanatic

Very nice setup
leepwj is offline   Reply With Quote