Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 13-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
Bieffe

Default Why my guppy always fin tear/rot?

Just started my aquarium. It's now 40+ days old.
Sad to say my fishes has been dying.
Weren't guppies suppose to be hardy? I got 3 pairs of long tail red/blue/glass/albino from a LFS all die within 3days.

So far my guppies has been suffering fin rot. Usually a split then tear then by 24hrs all shreadded!

Medication I have used so far are
1.Aquamedi Anti fungus (after 2 days got improvement, after 2 dose save afew, makes tank yellow)
2.Befamen aka yellow powder (very tuff to use as its powder, 80% die)
3.Aquapharm anti fungus (super lousy 100% die and stains everything)
4.API Metafix (very nice smell, after 6 days like no effect, never get worst but never get better too)
5.Aquamedi Botanic - cure (no Colour my water, now using)

Water parameters are all within limit. pH is about 6-6.5 rest of poison 0.
Temperature 30-30.1 Celsius

Also inside tank I have killies, GAE, cordraye, rummy nose, one last neon tetra, platy, pink danions. All ok. But today 1 platy tail have white mark so I sent to my hospital tank.

Pink danions all along has white ring at it fins. Anyway they now all outside in hospital tank.

Then I got 2 pairs red guppies (just don't believe I can't succeed). 1 of the male now has very serious fin rot. Is also in another hospital.

How man.....I have spent so much $ on medications to save a $1 fish! Is silly but is my ego Mah....guppy leh....people will laugh man.

Any tips from sifu here. I have also added salt to my tanks. Was told by a big LFS guppies need to place a lot of salt. But I only follow directions on salt package. When I was there the uncle grab a whole fist of salt crystals and dump into a 1.5ft tank with abt 100 guppies, then add medicine. Also know corydora don't like salt so dare not add too much.
Old 13-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Bieffe

O ya one more thing. Previously I would get guppies back from LFS, float them in tank for 20mins and then add to main tank.

Now I will quarantine then in a tank 1st then shift over after about 6days later. The last batch was done as such. But 1 male still genna rot tail.
Old 13-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
Ircknight
Dragon

Believe your ph is too low. Guppies like PH at around 7 to 7.5

Albino Guppies is not that hardy
Ircknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Bieffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ircknight View Post
Believe your ph is too low. Guppies like PH at around 7 to 7.5

Albino Guppies is not that hardy
If I up my pH will other fishes give problem? I need to buy pH up type of products I suppose.
Old 13-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
Ircknight
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieffe View Post
If I up my pH will other fishes give problem? I need to buy pH up type of products I suppose.
The list of fish you have i not so sure.( Also inside tank I have killies, GAE, cordraye, rummy nose, one last neon tetra, platy, pink danions.)

Using sodium bicarbonate is one of the cheapest method but don't over dose. Best you can have more details of your tank even a picture or video so the rest of the brothers can help you.
Old 13-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Bieffe

Would love to give pictures and all but post not enough to post video or pics yet. You suspecting over crowding? Fighting?
Old 13-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Ircknight
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieffe View Post
Would love to give pictures and all but post not enough to post video or pics yet. You suspecting over crowding? Fighting?
Have to see your tank size?

If you over load the water will spoil fast and yours fish will die fast also
Old 13-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
KeeHuat
Dragon

The water parameters from the lfs does not match the water parameters in your tank and because of this they can't get used to the sudden change. Why is your PH so low, what did you put in your tank. Aged tap water will not fall below 7.0 PH.

Did you check the water parameters from the lfs

Last edited by KeeHuat; 13-07-2012 at 05:32 PM.
KeeHuat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
weby

Actually, my practice is to try a few feeder guppies and let them stabilize the tank.There will be casualty until probably left 10 or 5 % remainder. Tank will stabilize and you can start your fancy guppies. I found that water is extremely important, 1 week no water change,may start exhibit fin rot.
Old 13-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
Ircknight
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Actually, my practice is to try a few feeder guppies and let them stabilize the tank.There will be casualty until probably left 10 or 5 % remainder. Tank will stabilize and you can start your fancy guppies. I found that water is extremely important, 1 week no water change,may start exhibit fin rot.
It depend how you feed also. Feed less the water can last you longer before you need to change them