Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 19-03-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
pocarin

Default Anti-Parasite Medicated Fish Food

anyone tried Anti-Parasite Medicated Fish Food before? effective? got sell in sg? my oscar passing out white poo. will it heal on its own? dun really wanna use medication, will kill my BB. anyone can help?
Old 19-03-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
carlfsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocarin View Post
anyone tried Anti-Parasite Medicated Fish Food before? effective? got sell in sg? my oscar passing out white poo. will it heal on its own? dun really wanna use medication, will kill my BB. anyone can help?
try Bakto Tabs from Sera.
Old 19-03-2007, 10:17 PM   #3
pocarin

hey bro thanks for replying. but which one better? baktopur, baktopur direct or bakto tabs?
Old 19-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #4
Spakase

White poo, use Octozin, think it is available here. I usually use metronidazole direct to the fish with a syringe and it should clear up after two or three doses. But I hear Octozin has the same effect, but it's contents is not known. Probably your fish is infested with protozoa, could be one of the Hexamita or Spironucleus, etc.
Sera Baktopur is meant for bacteria infection and may not be appropriate to use in this case.
Old 19-03-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
carlfsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
White poo, use Octozin, think it is available here. I usually use metronidazole direct to the fish with a syringe and it should clear up after two or three doses. But I hear Octozin has the same effect, but it's contents is not known. Probably your fish is infested with protozoa, could be one of the Hexamita or Spironucleus, etc.
Sera Baktopur is meant for bacteria infection and may not be appropriate to use in this case.
Hey pal, how do you feed metronidazole direct to the fish? Pre mix the solution and squeeze the contents into the mouth of the fish? Can share the mixture ratio? I used this med on discuss some years back. But seems like it's quite difficult to get hold locally.

As for bakto tabs, I used it on my tropheus to cure their bloat as well as occassional feeeding to clear thier intestine of any parasites.
Old 19-03-2007, 11:18 PM   #6
frontosa
Dragon

Baktopur is effective only in the early stages. But then again, this is the only successful medication I had so far against such diseases.

Met - ya, where to get?

Did hear that Octozin is good before but never tried.
frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2007, 02:11 AM   #7
pocarin

Octozin also must force-feed to the fish? how do u do it with a syringe? needle syringe or those test-tube syringe?

and is white poo caused by unclean feeder fishes? if so, will feeder shrimp be cleaner?
Old 20-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #8
today
Arofanatic

Hi, I have one bottle anti-bactieral and one bottle anti-parasite floating pellets food to let go at $35 (16ozs, 600g around) each only, it cost me much more higher than this price.

If you want con give me a call.

Thank
today is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
Spakase

Octozin is added to the tank water. I don't think it is meant to be fed direct to the fish, but check the instructions to be sure. I can't find the active ingredient but it has been known to be effective against protozoa attack.

Flagyl (metronidazole) can be obtained from a vet if you buy it in Singapore. It can be added to tank water at 250mg/50 litres of water. I feed direct to the fish using a syringe (with a ball - tipped needle which I bought from the internet, probably it is also available in petshops, birdshops, in Singapore). The dose I use is a small pinch from a crushed tablet.

Where did the protozoa came from? likely sources are from live feed, could even be residing in the fish (ie your Oscar) and multiplied when the oscar is stressed.
Old 20-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #10
pocarin

so i have to net up the fish, hold it in my hands and inject the medication into the mouth?