Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 11-10-2004, 01:52 PM   #41
monsterz1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfire
i'm keeping my aquac 4 back up, or maybe 4 my future mini full SPS tk.
like i said, i decided 2 change after looking the beckett in action in person. my bio load is high, n i think it's time 2 change.

i'm not here 2 influence u, u shd c which is the best 4 urself. if u deem aquamedic, by all means go ahead. i'll support u.

i do not c y the analogy of lightings cannot b applied 2 skimmers. if u c a thread posting " MH, T5 or PL?????", the advice is clear...
Haha thanks bro , still got time for me to think which to get.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:55 PM   #42
devilfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterz1975
Haha thanks bro , still got time for me to think which to get.
open urself up 4 more choices... there r many top range skimmers ard. fr the way i c, i do not think electricity consumption bothers u.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:40 PM   #43
nim75sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterz1975
Yeah brought 1 in my dream last nite. hahahaha.
The bubble king is a needle-wheeled skimmer and only cost $2K ... so don't need to dream.

Can see it in action at eAquaNature as they're running in their L-shaped heavily bio-loaded display tank.

Fyi, a few reefers here are aware why they are using it in their display tank ...
Old 11-10-2004, 07:24 PM   #44
nim75sg

Elaborating further on Skimmers whether needle-wheel or Beckett (downdraft) is better. IMHO, the Beckett is better than the needle-wheel for large capacity tank.

But this can't hold true for downdraft skimmers as the "upgraded" version of needle-wheel which is the Aspirating Needle-Wheel Skimmers are superior in terms of performance in my opinion. Some of the vendors producing this type of skimmers are AquaMedic, H&S, Klaes, EuroReef, CPR Series and BakPak plus others which I can't remember. (Almost brain dead due to end of business day on a Monday)

Likewise, imho, the aspirating needle-wheel skimmers may not be better than the spray injection as comparision studies has not been conducted yet. However, I strongly believe the spray-injection type can out-perform the aspirating needle-wheel for tank capacity above 1500 litres.

So what is this spray-injection skimmer. My understanding is that they look like scaled down version of downdraft skimmers except that it didn't use "brute" force as they use a smaller pump .. not pressure rated.

May consider to evaluate this type of technology when it is available in the market as I am keeping track who will be the first vendor to offer this spray injection skimmer since they are smaller and cater for tank capacity from 1000 litres.

Got an excuse to move my Deltec MCE600 from the 6ft to my 3ft tank without my OC causing an earthquake..

In conclusion, don't buy a cheap skimmer and later upgrade to a better unit as it is more expensive than buying the best skimmer you can afford in the beginning.

Finally, tank capacity is below 1500 litres is well served by a wide range of skimmers are capable of giving good cuppa of kopi-O.

But for tank above 1500 litres capacity ... the spray injection skimmer is a better choice than the beckett skimmer.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:56 PM   #45
spsman

Question hi dev

i do not c y the analogy of lightings cannot b applied 2 skimmers. if u c a thread posting " MH, T5 or PL?????", the advice is clear... [/QUOTE]

bro, aiya i already said u win what..
the point is there is no comparison in this way becos u are not being specific.
if u say needlewheel technology compare with needlewheel technology that is hns compare w macro. i say that is a fair test.

this is also the reason why i say mh bulbs shud compare to mh bulbs to measure different par values. if u still dun get it, i dunno what to say already.

your test on the beckett and hns is totally unfair becos the parameters were not set right in the first place.
let me ask u, the pump u use is running on how many watts for the beckett?
it is already different so how to test and compare?

put simply, is a yellow tang similar to the lemonpeel angel?
yes they are fish and yellow in color. but they are entirely different. so i ask,
which is nicer?

brother, it is time consuming arguing over differing beliefs.
do what u want and be happy with it.
cheerz.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:08 PM   #46
nitro

Default Comparing

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfire
y not? i can compare a beckett(after i install) wif an aquac on the same system(my reef tk). likewise, another reefer(we will soon know who) here can compare his HnS n a beckett on his very same system.
thou both r using 2 different technology, ultimately, it's the kind of skimmate they produce tat we sought 4. hence we r comparing the skimmate produced.
comparing the different types of skimmers is juz like comparing different types of lighting. in ur case, then u hav 2 say tat we cant really compare a MH 2 a T5 or a PL. thou they produce the same thing(lights), their output simply differs by a lot. which, IMO, the same analogy 2 the skimmers.

he will... i met a maker(beckett) who told me not 2 underestimate the materials used 2 build an HnS. he explained tat those materials r the top ends materials n hence explained the pricing.

Bro, an AquaC skimmer is not driven by a needle wheel pump!

And to compare both skimmers you'll have to equalised every element that will affect the outcome..ie..Energy consumption, placement of skimmer, amount of shit in the setup at the time of test.

And for comparing the MH and T-5, again the elements affecting the performance of the both lights has to be equalised. One uses more wattage to produce it's lumens while the latter use lesser power to produce (The one using less wattage will definitely produce less lumens).

IMHO, to compare something, one has to equalise the elements. For example, a certain brand T-5 compared to another brand of T-5 with the same power consumption, output, reflector........

A Type-R engine (Technology) shouldn't be compared with a Force-Induction Engine (Brute Force). They are of two different world......
Old 11-10-2004, 10:53 PM   #47
nim75sg

Agreed with Bros Spsman n Nitro .. comparison has to be having the same attributes in the equation to justify a valid comparison and no other variables.

Simply there are no exceptions to the rule.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:39 PM   #48
devilfire

guys, the topic here is "aquamedic or beckett".
the user obviously is seeking opinions or rather comparisions so as 2 make his decision easier.
so here we hav 2 give the pros n cons of each of them, fr a certain pt of view, we r comparing or rather we hav 2 compare.

in my analogy, if someone seek " MH, T5 or PL", it would the same case where we give comparision again.

it's not a matter whether i win or u win, i'm juz telling bro monster 2 do more survey. right from the start, i mentioned a better way is 2 seek opinion fr the various users, so as 2 gain a better perpestive.

nitro, i know aquac well enough, b cos i'm a user of aquac. n bro, FYI, some aquac users r using needle wheel 2 drive their aquac.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:48 PM   #49
nitro

Default Decision

It'll never end.........you have your point and i've my point.

At the end of it, it is wat bro monster wants.

Btw, owning a pc of equipment does not equals to knowing how to use it.
(A pic in the gallery tells me alot more words than you can say).

I shall not comment further.

Cheers
Daniel
Old 12-10-2004, 03:20 PM   #50
lvcap

let me just add my 2 cents worth of comments..

what do u need from a skimmer?
to skim until the water shows 0ppm of NO3 or just to skim adequatly till 10ppm or so?

to clear any confusion..skimmers dun seem out NO3 but rather DOC...so the faster the DOC gets skimmed out..the lesser chance for them to be converted to NO3..

i am a user of the 648...beckett...it does skim rather well..with a crazy bioload like mine..its ard 5ppm of NO3

but to SPS reef tanks...5ppm might be too high...for me..its just nice..since i plan to have a mixture...not too high for SPS and not too low for LPS

i have no doubts that Aquamedic, Bubbleking etc etc will skim very well too..

so bottom line might be..what price u wan to pay for a skimmer and whats the operating costs of running it?

A beckett would no doubt cost a bomb running it since the electricity it consumes is huge..whereas a BB would be lower operating costs but higher equipment cost?

it also boils down to individual preference..
some pple cannot afford the space of a tall beckett so a BB might be better

just like cars right?
u not only have to compare starting costs..but also monthly costs..and asthestics right?

all those mentioned are good skimmers..
and its wierd that Euroreef dun get mentioned that often?