Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 13-10-2004, 02:45 AM   #61
devilfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterz1975
Wah bro going for beckett liao har.
he is the 1 i was talking abt..

hi bro jeff, u noted a very important pt. 1 of the factors tat makes a good skimmer is the turnover rate.
Old 13-10-2004, 02:50 AM   #62
lvcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfire

hi bro jeff, u noted a very important pt. 1 of the factors tat makes a good skimmer is the turnover rate.

no bonus for me..
how to buy stuff sia..
all the best..

let us all have great tanks regardless of which brand of skimmers we go for..
Old 13-10-2004, 02:55 AM   #63
Jeffrey74

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfire

Found out this fact from the beckett makers. That's what make me switching
Old 13-10-2004, 04:40 PM   #64
seagul
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvcap
let me just add my 2 cents worth of comments..

what do u need from a skimmer?
to skim until the water shows 0ppm of NO3 or just to skim adequatly till 10ppm or so?

to clear any confusion..skimmers dun seem out NO3 but rather DOC...so the faster the DOC gets skimmed out..the lesser chance for them to be converted to NO3..

i am a user of the 648...beckett...it does skim rather well..with a crazy bioload like mine..its ard 5ppm of NO3

but to SPS reef tanks...5ppm might be too high...for me..its just nice..since i plan to have a mixture...not too high for SPS and not too low for LPS

i have no doubts that Aquamedic, Bubbleking etc etc will skim very well too..

so bottom line might be..what price u wan to pay for a skimmer and whats the operating costs of running it?

A beckett would no doubt cost a bomb running it since the electricity it consumes is huge..whereas a BB would be lower operating costs but higher equipment cost?

it also boils down to individual preference..
some pple cannot afford the space of a tall beckett so a BB might be better

just like cars right?
u not only have to compare starting costs..but also monthly costs..and asthestics right?

all those mentioned are good skimmers..
and its wierd that Euroreef dun get mentioned that often?

its because they was not many(if i am not wrong dun have) lfs who carry euro- reef product till PR start bringing them in..... euro- reef and H&S works on the same technology.... ER was one of the best skimmer in RC with many good reviews.. Personally i prefer ER because of its huge reaction chamber and collection cup..... If not wrong ER run on a sedra pump right while H&S on a aquabee
seagul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2004, 10:36 PM   #65
nim75sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekia
yah.. very true.. Euroreef not very popular in Singapore. Actually Aqua-Medic also.. until nim75sg shows us the power of Aqua-Medic products.. haha...
IMHO, I am also surprised at the speed of turnover for the Aqua-Medic to churn out skimmate in a very short span of time .... mind you, it is really KOPI-O all the time ..
Old 13-10-2004, 10:59 PM   #66
spsman

Default hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey74
Hi all, I've been a user from weipro to macro needlewheel now h&s needlewheel but after consideration decided to go for beckett in the end.

The reason why is, Beckett got a bigger chamber that can be upgraded in future if needed so. It not only can skim better but also can take in more water to skim thus making the water turnover rate higher, results = faster the turnover, more doc breakdown in lesser time taken. Whereby H&S, Macro or Weipro turnover rate are lower due to their limited body.

I'm quite disagree with the trend thing. It's just like why bro spsman invest in CR than to invest in handphones. Because he knows that the investment he made is worthwhile.

Just my $0.02
hey jeff,
tall reaction is good, but the qn is "is it neccesary?"
how many tanks do u have and are u running a commercial farm like coral farm?
if this is the case, all hobbyist shud use external skimmers to keep sps.
eventually its abt your skills and knowledge, i reiterate, BAracuda does not even skim!
but i do respect yor decision on spending on your beliefs. take good care. i shall not affect your decision.

cheerz
Old 14-10-2004, 03:47 AM   #67
monsterz1975

Haha never ending story lah , like me i never change my water since the first day i set up my tank , i am not here to show off and i had water ready mix just that my tank is fine so i dare not touch it, and untill now i never lost any of my LS.
Old 14-10-2004, 03:49 AM   #68
monsterz1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterz1975
Haha never ending story lah , like me i never change my water since the first day i set up my tank , i am not here to show off and i had water ready mix just that my tank is fine so i dare not touch it, and untill now i never lost any of my LS.
Please don fire at me har bros cos everythings is fine and i dowana touch it dare not , and just leave it.
Old 14-10-2004, 10:16 AM   #69
Ekia

I don't see anything very wrong with not changing water... just that u will have increasing nitrates if u dun have other means of exporting it. Trace elements will also have to be dosed... as there will be no other means of supplementing..
Old 14-10-2004, 12:34 PM   #70
monsterz1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekia
I don't see anything very wrong with not changing water... just that u will have increasing nitrates if u dun have other means of exporting it. Trace elements will also have to be dosed... as there will be no other means of supplementing..
Every 2day i will dose trace element.