Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 14-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #131
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

This is a side slice of the filter that wasn't represented. It slots in where the elevated platform is. You can see where the bottom drains all end up, feeding the dirty water to the drum filters.

DragonFireSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 03:52 PM   #132
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLim View Post
Wow... totally lost in understanding your design too complicated for me

I still prefer to see pictures of how this is built
Hopefull soon hehe. As Jason mentioned, the approval process will take a while.
Old 14-05-2018, 04:04 PM   #133
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Upflow filter is going to be a step in the less well know - biocenosis baskets as featured on mankesanke.co.uk

This system is anoxic, rather than aerobic, and directly converts ammonia to N2. The end result is very low nitrate buildup, and as such a much reduced need to do water changes. As you might imagine, water changes for a 70T pond will be no joke. 10% water change weighs more than an Army truck Sure get blacklisted by PUB especially with all the save water campaigns.

There are folk who have gone without changing water with an anoxic system in place, and managed to keep nitrate levels down.

A DIY foam fractionator will remove DOC.

I do have a backout plan if anoxic fails. The upflow chamber will work just as well in moving bed form. I just need to put in a screen to block the biomedia from exiting at the overflow point. There is also a bakki shower that I will keep online for backup in case something disturbs the anoxic filters - they take a long time to establish as the bacteria we want doubles its population very slowly.
Old 14-05-2018, 06:16 PM   #134
jason1202
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireSG View Post
The elevated area in the center is for mounting rotary drum filters that will separate particulates from the water down to 50 microns. Fully automatic backwash. This is not as fine as the sand filters used by pools, but will work on gravity alone. This means that there is no need for a huge horsepower high pressure pump which is a basic requirement for a sand filter.

As long as the machinery is working, this system is practically no maintenance. Still got to eyeball once every few weeks to check the mechanical parts of course.

Big upside is no brushes, no mats to clean (and no maintenance contract to pay). The drum filters are all user serviceable as long as you have spare parts on hand. Indirectly this contributes to a more stable pond environment as 50 micron particulates will not settle out and dirty a waterfall, or choke a shower filter.
Sounds perfect already! Cant wait to see your pond in action!
jason1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 11:36 PM   #135
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

Awaitg updates bro!

Great Read with Great Pics and Info
shiokmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 09:27 AM   #136
ThomasLim
Arofanatic

Bro, any update?
ThomasLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #137
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Wow! Finally back after I lost my password, and my company kept dropping AFC reset emails.

It took the better part of the year for me to get approval to start building my new place.
The new pond's gonna be awesome

Here's an early minecraft model I am using to show the contractor some of the finer details.

Practically almost all the open space underneath my driveway and along the side of the house will be waterscaped.
Old 13-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #138
goldfish&koi
Dragon

Heng ong huat boss. you bought new place?
goldfish&koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 06:26 PM   #139
ThomasLim
Arofanatic

Show photo will be best.... I cannot visualise from all these I only know that it will be very big pond
ThomasLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 06:27 PM   #140
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLim View Post
Show photo will be best.... I cannot visualise from all these I only know that it will be very big pond
Now is grass and mud. Gotta wait a while since piling work just commenced today. At least 15 months to go.