Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 29-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #1
kagemaru

Default Brain teasers: When or Why do reds turn RED?

Put up this topic for discussion:

Since a member pm me asking this question, I repost the contents and get a general opinion on it

Camo? Breeding colors? Or otherwise?

Camo... can't be. Orangy Red and green is not the best camouflage, and the young will probably need more camouflage than a 3ft monster. Evolution doesn't happen for aesthetic reasons to human in any animal.

Breeding colors... it has been proven that fish can't really see red, especially in depths more than 3 ft, so why red? Even if aros are surface fish, it's still not much of a reason to be red to breed... if so, then the yellow reds will nvr find mates in a breeder's pond?

Some reds turn red at 2 yrs old...some reds in msia zoo turn red at 9 yrs old...some at 9 - 10 yrs old still orange...Why? Why? Why?

Any experts care to comment?

(btw genes is a obvious answer and shouldnt be one of the answers)

Old 29-08-2005, 10:41 PM   #2
kagemaru

Lets just concentrate on the wild reds first...why some reds in murky waters is only orange but bring home become red in 3 mths?

why some reds in our reservoir show red in small size?...I wun tell u where the red is spotted...cos I also dunno

Those keep inside tank with corner filter have more brilliant colors than our sophiscated equipment

Old 29-08-2005, 11:00 PM   #3
ken_yg

Talking

Is there an answer beyond gene?
Else green can be red, red can be gold, & gold become green?

Old 29-08-2005, 11:06 PM   #4
archie2000

shifu, let me try...

when it turn red....
when its stress free, ie stable and proper water parameters

why it turn red....
due to its pigment colouration. normally stronger at maturity.

how red can it turn....
tat depend on gene liao

Old 29-08-2005, 11:08 PM   #5
kagemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_yg
Is there an answer beyond gene?
Else green can be red, red can be gold, & gold become green?
yes...theres an answer

Old 29-08-2005, 11:09 PM   #6
thomashl_99
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagemaru
Lets just concentrate on the wild reds first...why some reds in murky waters is only orange but bring home become red in 3 mths?

why some reds in our reservoir show red in small size?...I wun tell u where the red is spotted...cos I also dunno

Those keep inside tank with corner filter have more brilliant colors than our sophiscated equipment
Shifu, i will make a wild guess on your third sentence...sophiscated equipment tends to create stronger current in the water, whereas corner filter will only create rather gentle current. When the current are stronger, it will tends to "wash off" the protective coat from the aro. Therefore, it will not look as shinny.
Hope my guess are correct
Correct me if i am wrong. Thanks
Old 29-08-2005, 11:11 PM   #7
fong
Dragon

so why do zebra has black and white strips then? black and white isnt the best choice for camo or this there another reasons? when zebra dashes in a group and running away from predators, their strips confuses the predator. i believe the small rings of red and shine on the small fish body probably gives the same effect to that the zebras.

Evolution doesnt happen for aesthetic reasons to human in any animal? Doesnt animal evolves for cosmestic reasons to attract a mate ? the bird of paradise in papa new genie evolves into heavenly colors to attracts a mate dont they?

I think animals only evolve for survival and passing on their genes.

Quote:
Put up this topic for discussion:

Since a member pm me asking this question, I repost the contents and get a general opinion on it

Camo? Breeding colors? Or otherwise?

Camo... can't be. Orangy Red and green is not the best camouflage, and the young will probably need more camouflage than a 3ft monster. Evolution doesn't happen for aesthetic reasons to human in any animal.

Breeding colors... it has been proven that fish can't really see red, especially in depths more than 3 ft, so why red? Even if aros are surface fish, it's still not much of a reason to be red to breed... if so, then the yellow reds will nvr find mates in a breeder's pond?

Some reds turn red at 2 yrs old...some reds in msia zoo turn red at 9 yrs old...some at 9 - 10 yrs old still orange...Why? Why? Why?

Any experts care to comment?

(btw genes is a obvious answer and shouldnt be one of the answers)
Old 29-08-2005, 11:30 PM   #8
jwhtan
Barney

whether its a gold, a red , a green or for tat matter, any other species like multi colours for cichlids, these all come sdown to the natural pigmentation of the fish .. of which in this case for a red aro, it is red ... or rather deep orange ...

it is just like us, humans .... whether we are yellow, brown, black, white watever ... it is due to pigmentation ...

well, kagemaru is, in a way, right tat fish dun differentiate colours ... but this non-differentiation of colours by sight do not equate to non-differentiation of colours by lateral lines ... fishes feel rather than see ....

when a red turn red, it could be several reasons ...

one , reaches maturity ...

two, manifesting its colours to show its compatriots he is the dominant one

three, atttracting opposite sex for mating

four, under stress ... some may be wondering abt this point four under stress ... but fishes under stress do manifest their colours too ... its like trying to protect themselves as they are not sure of its surroundings ...

five, stable and developing well .... this is wat most of us want to achieve ... a red tat turns red due to stable water parameters, suitable nutrients and a condusive living environment ...

I hope my input gives room for debate
Old 29-08-2005, 11:33 PM   #9
Petshopboys
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Imagine urself as an adult red, ask urself teh question why do u want to turn red....how to turn red?

Is there a special place where I could change?

why is there a change?
If i'm a adult red...
Why i wan to turn red? TO attract partner for mating and have family loh....In the wild, aro are paired up naturally when it mature (mature mean genes stable) so the offspring is better
Plus in the wild, there's abunance of mineral in the water hence good for aro
Old 29-08-2005, 11:36 PM   #10
Fire87
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan
whether its a gold, a red , a green or for tat matter, any other species like multi colours for cichlids, these all come sdown to the natural pigmentation of the fish .. of which in this case for a red aro, it is red ... or rather deep orange ...

it is just like us, humans .... whether we are yellow, brown, black, white watever ... it is due to pigmentation ...

well, kagemaru is, in a way, right tat fish dun differentiate colours ... but this non-differentiation of colours by sight do not equate to non-differentiation of colours by lateral lines ... fishes feel rather than see ....

when a red turn red, it could be several reasons ...

one , reaches maturity ...

two, manifesting its colours to show its compatriots he is the dominant one

three, atttracting opposite sex for mating

four, under stress ... some may be wondering abt this point four under stress ... but fishes under stress do manifest their colours too ... its like trying to protect themselves as they are not sure of its surroundings ...

five, stable and developing well .... this is wat most of us want to achieve ... a red tat turns red due to stable water parameters, suitable nutrients and a condusive living environment ...

I hope my input gives room for debate
any insights on why the natural pigmentation has evolved to be the way it is? like why that fish we call a SR has evolved to have red pigmentations instead or gold, and why XBs evolved to have that gold pigmentation?

why/how reds turn red is maybe step 2 of the process. would be interesting if we can gather some insights on why in the first place the pigmentations have evolved that way. it's an impossible qn to answer, i guess... but i'm sure many are capable of an educated guess