Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 15-08-2004, 02:55 PM   #31
Ekia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlchew
Sure.. I understand your point and respect that...

For a price at around 400... compare to other around 1K..Yes..I agreed and I understand at time when thing goes wrong..you need good service...but the comparable product should not be more than 120% more.. (based on 1K over 400)... For instance, if my unit fail today(touch-wood)...after 6 mths..I can immediately purchase another unit while wait for my service to return... My MTBF(Mean-Time-between-failure) is double ..

From what I know understand from my friend in Aircon/Fridge service industry...usually the problem with chiller is either compressor failure (like car engine..depends on your luck)..so usually you can observe your chiller around 2 mths..if it works well it is unlikely to fail after the kick-start (don shut it down unnecceassary) and electronic-circuit reliability is very much depend on heat...ensure roomy air flow...not in the cabinet,pls..hee..

ie. It is like if you want 20GB now and can't afford(or unwilling to pay for 120GB) don wait..buy the 20GB now...and at the later date buy another one when you can afford...you have two HDD and your loss of data's risk is spread across two unit.

I do agree that some horror story about high electricity and noise. I think it is very much depends on individual and preference..

I agree with you on WeiPro....It is a "have one is better than none"..what our optimal objective is to make our coral and LS happy.
I am using a Weipro too..

My point is that if the objective is -- NEED to have 26deg environment..get something within your budget...(I am not against ppl going for the best..)
It is like buying a car..if you need a car to move around and can afford buy a beemer...otherwise buy a Toyota/Nissan or even Kia...at least you got to drive around....wait till you save enough then upgrade..it is an offence to drive faster than 90km per hour..(like our aquarium limit is 26 ..anything below 24 is asking for trouble too..)

My personal advise to member..Anything more than 200-buck you need to plan and see your need...don drain your hard-earn $$$ unnecessary..

LAst but not least, I alway believe in good service but there is a price behind it..(you have to justify to your mean).

Sorri for the long thread and my poor english writing...hee..sorri.sorri..
Very well-said.... different ppl got different way of doing things though.. there's no absolute right or wrong.. just different perspective.. some ppl can even just buy 2 resun and another one can be a backup... total cost still about half of an Artica...
Old 15-08-2004, 03:12 PM   #32
sherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfire
ht n wth of ur tk??

any sump??
I do not have a sump

Regards
Old 15-08-2004, 03:30 PM   #33
sherman

Bro,
All of us come from different finanical background.
So we will look at things at very different perspective base on our capablity.
We all also want to give the best to our aquarium.But we invest in what we can afford.Then the hobby can continue without headache.
Just my 2 ct thought

Regards
Sherman
Old 15-08-2004, 05:39 PM   #34
devilfire

Quote:
For a price at around 400... compare to other around 1K..Yes..I agreed and I understand at time when thing goes wrong..you need good service...but the comparable product should not be more than 120% more.. (based on 1K over 400)... For instance, if my unit fail today(touch-wood)...after 6 mths..I can immediately purchase another unit while wait for my service to return... My MTBF(Mean-Time-between-failure) is double ....
i do not understand how u calculated it 2 b doubled. if i'm not wrong, u were calculating 2 units of resun vs 1 unit of other higher leading brand of chiller(i hope i'm wrong). if ur calculations is base on tis, then well, i'm sorry i hav 2 correct u. we do not calculate in such a way. fr an engineering pt of view, we do not calculate the MTBF of 2 units vs 1 unit.
put it tis way, even if we base on ur calculations, let say, the MTBF of Ais 5000hrs n the MTBF of B is 10000hrs. base on tat, u hav 2 expect A 2 b repaired 2X(2units=4X!) whereas B is oni 1X.

Quote:
From what I know understand from my friend in Aircon/Fridge service industry...usually the problem with chiller is either compressor failure (like car engine..depends on your luck)..so usually you can observe your chiller around 2 mths..if it works well it is unlikely to fail after the kick-start (don shut it down unnecceassary) and electronic-circuit reliability is very much depend on heat...ensure roomy air flow...not in the cabinet,pls..hee..In it he observed that system accidents can be the result of one big failure, but most often are caused by the unexpected interactions between failures of multiple components....

i agree tat's a piece of gd advice.
however, a system accident can be the result of one big failure(in tis case, compressor), but most often are caused by the unexpected interactions between failures of multiple components. wat abt the fan, thermostat, inferior tubings material.....??

Quote:
ie. It is like if you want 20GB now and can't afford(or unwilling to pay for 120GB) don wait..buy the 20GB now...and at the later date buy another one when you can afford...you have two HDD and your loss of data's risk is spread across two unit.....
the above analogy is base on the purchase on 2 units of chiller. wouldnt u hav 2 spend more in tis case?? 2 units of resun i would rather advise 2 buy 1 unit of atman1/2hp or a hailea 1/4hp.

Quote:
I do agree that some horror story about high electricity and noise. I think it is very much depends on individual and preference.....
i totally agree..

Quote:
I agree with you on WeiPro....It is a "have one is better than none"..what our optimal objective is to make our coral and LS happy.
I am using a Weipro too.......
i like tat statment too...
but is tat the optimal objective??

Quote:
My personal advise to member..Anything more than 200-buck you need to plan and see your need...don drain your hard-earn $$$ unnecessary.........
tat's another piece of gd advice, i would say. but it's rather contradicting.
guys, think of the long term. do a proper calculation n c in 1 or 2 yrs or maybe more down the road, which will b more cost effective n value 4 money.

if u deem certain brand is gd, then by all means. anyway, the ultimate choice is urs..

Quote:
LAst but not least, I alway believe in good service but there is a price behind it..(you have to justify to your mean). .......
wouldnt it is the same 4 all?? i mean if u get some1 2 come n repair ur resun, do u not need 2 pay 4 the service or repair??

Quote:
Sorri for the long thread and my poor english writing...hee..sorri.sorri..
no worries..
Old 15-08-2004, 05:46 PM   #35
devilfire

to all bros, tis is gonna b lengthy if it goes on.

well, i hav 2 say i'm not against resun chillers. neither am i promoting any other brands of chillers.

here i am, giving my opinions n advice. while i agree tat we r fr different financial background, there's no absolute right or wrong, 2 hav is better than not 2 hav, but wat u hav 2 c or think is the total maintenance cost u hav spend on a certian type of chiller b 4 it is beyond economical repair.

the choice is still urs, of cos.

cheers
Old 15-08-2004, 06:07 PM   #36
wlchew

To all bros, and thanks devilfire.. let drop the lengthy stuff..

I do agree as we r fr different financial background so there's no right or wrong. As long as everyone is happy with what their own do..it is a GOOD decision.

My analogy is very simple...this is a hobby...No one know how long our interest will last..I was crazy in computer since 1980..I ever bought a 386-25Mhz motherboard from taiwan for SGD1980 in 1986..this is costly but when you are in it. (I use-up all my saving of one year for that)....that is the fastest at that point of time..so, looking back am I crazy ?? I would say YES..haa..

We are here to share our own view. ...different perspective...

I hope the lengthy note will help others as a reference to consider when they make their own choice.

Cheers everyone.
Old 15-08-2004, 08:29 PM   #37
Ekia

Quote:
To all bros, and thanks devilfire.. let drop the lengthy stuff..

I do agree as we r fr different financial background so there's no right or wrong. As long as everyone is happy with what their own do..it is a GOOD decision.

My analogy is very simple...this is a hobby...No one know how long our interest will last..I was crazy in computer since 1980..I ever bought a 386-25Mhz motherboard from taiwan for SGD1980 in 1986..this is costly but when you are in it. (I use-up all my saving of one year for that)....that is the fastest at that point of time..so, looking back am I crazy ?? I would say YES..haa..

We are here to share our own view. ...different perspective...

I hope the lengthy note will help others as a reference to consider when they make their own choice.

Cheers everyone.
yup.. i think this thread is a very good reference.. although very contradicting ideas... but lots of pros and cons are pointed out.. up to the reader to decide what they want...

Cheers
Old 15-08-2004, 10:04 PM   #38
monsterz1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansiz
Bro monster, is your chiller creating a lot of heat into the surroundings? What about the electricity? Increased ? Many bro posted increase a little, actually is aga aga how many ah? $10? $20?
don feel the heat leh and i had not recived the bill so don know yet.
Old 16-08-2004, 02:19 AM   #39
mr_donitos

i got my CL650 for $380 w/ 6 months warranty. no problem so far, using it right now for a 2ft tank (temporary) and can cool down 2 degrees in less than 3 minutes. i think the unit itself is not noisy, it's the air moving causing the sound, well at least that's for my unit
Old 16-08-2004, 09:15 AM   #40
Tigger

I am a resun CL650 user. 4x2x2 with 300Watt Mh. So far so good. Yes there is some noise but not so bad. Chiller is effecient IMO. Only kick start twice (30mins each time) during 8 hours MH duration. I reckon it kick start 4 time sin the daytime or so. Electrical bill increase $10 nia.....For less than $400, its a good buy. But u must use the correct rated pump. I am using Extrema. When I use a China made 1400L/H pump, the chiller kick start very often...