Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 01-03-2005, 05:14 PM   #11
liuhao

oic. i got it wrongly. yours is the PH pen which is meant to be discrete usage. i thought it was a PH monitor with seperated probe which runs 24/7 constantly.

if PH monitor for $36, definitely die die must buy. but anyway $36 for a PH pen is a good deal as well.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:16 PM   #12
Iori

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPeX
Yep, I got a pack of the pH 7.01 solution from petmart yesterday, $3. Y618 doesn't have it in stock.. weird.

For 2 purposes -

1) calibration
2) storage - instructions say to pour some into the cap before storing the test pen

I was told by my former sec school science lab technician (i called him previously seeking advice on whether to invest in a pH probe or testpen) that it must be calibrated after every use! Well at least that's what they do for the school's equipment, coz it will supposely "run accuracy" everytime it is used.

But i have no $$$ to buy so many packs of the pH buffer solution... will distilled water from the science lab serve the same purpose?
Guess you bot those small packs one....I got bottle one from NA. The instructions do say to put a few drops in the cap b4 putting back the pen, but I dun do that.

Actually ur sec school tech is right, the proper way shld be to calibrate everytime after use. Prob is, we dun have the means $$$ to do that everytime. Heard from bros here that they have used distilled water to calibrate too...........not too sure abt the results though.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:49 PM   #13
MPeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iori
Heard from bros here that they have used distilled water to calibrate too...........not too sure abt the results though.
I'll go check out tomorrow if ntu's laboratories have distilled water.. then can stun some for my own use. School fees are meant to cover stuff like these... not worth the journey to my sec sch juz for some distilled water..
Old 01-03-2005, 05:51 PM   #14
MPeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuhao
i thought it was a PH monitor with seperated probe which runs 24/7 constantly.
bro, any links to some info on this pH monitor? Quite curious about it... from the way u say it, i reckon something like that will cost more than $50?
Old 01-03-2005, 05:51 PM   #15
Iori

Quote:
I'll go check out tomorrow if ntu's laboratories have distilled water.. then can stun some for my own use. School fees are meant to cover stuff like these... not worth the journey to my sec sch juz for some distilled water..
Think you better dun waste your trip. I just found out that distilled water CANNOT be used to calibrate your pH pen.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:00 PM   #16
liuhao

Quote:
bro, any links to some info on this pH monitor? Quite curious about it... from the way u say it, i reckon something like that will cost more than $50?
PH monitor would cost more than $100 i guess. it looks something like this:

Old 02-03-2005, 01:17 AM   #17
MPeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iori
Think you better dun waste your trip. I just found out that distilled water CANNOT be used to calibrate your pH pen.
Wah... heng u tell me. I already prepare a pepsi bottle to fill up with distilled water da...

I read the instructions of the Hanna box, it says it cannot be used to store the test pen because it is non-ionized (how does it affect actually, these ions?), no mention about calibration can use or not.. better dun take this kind of risk...
Old 02-03-2005, 01:34 AM   #18
ZhiQiang

can use boiled water instead of distilled water???
Old 02-03-2005, 01:42 AM   #19
MPeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhiQiang
can use boiled water instead of distilled water???
Initially our tap water is made up of sai chwee (Newater), chlorine, floride (for better teeth!) and what have u...

Boiling won't completely remove all these leh...

Btw i tested tapwater, it was pH 8.0 yesterday and 7.2 today. Weird. Datz almost a 100 times difference!
Old 02-03-2005, 01:44 AM   #20
ZhiQiang

Quote:
Initially our tap water is made up of sai chwee (Newater), chlorine, floride (for better teeth!) and what have u...

Boiling won't completely remove all these leh...

Btw i tested tapwater, it was pH 8.0 yesterday and 7.2 today. Weird. Datz almost a 100 times difference!

Oh ok...

Very hard for people like me to get distilled water leh... Unless buy from supermarkets... I think i have seen bottles of distilled water for sale in ntuc before...