Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 23-07-2006, 07:46 PM   #21
swkoh79

I tried shaking it last night, and some air has escaped. It did not increase since then. Yes, the air got in when I started the filter, but the inlet was not exposed. Maybe the cover was not covered well at the moment? I locked the cover only after the water "filled" up the cannister.
Old 23-07-2006, 08:47 PM   #22
cheetf
Dragon

Now since the air has not increased then there should not be any leak.

The suspect could be when you removed the inlet to fit the sponge probably the water drained from the hose and thus air got in the hose and then the cannister when you started it.

Normally if the cannister is not closed properly water will be flowing out of it as the pressure will be pushing the water out.
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 08:50 PM   #23
swkoh79

My main concern is if this will damage the cannister filter.
Old 23-07-2006, 09:38 PM   #24
cheetf
Dragon

As long as you don't hear any rattling noise, the impeller should be functioning properly. If you hear a rattling noise then you might have a problem, because it might mean that the impeller is not sitting properly due to an airlock or something like that.

Basically other than the impeller there are no moving parts inside the cannister. So as long as the filter is giving outflow and is silent everything is fine and there is nothing to worry about.
Old 23-07-2006, 09:50 PM   #25
swkoh79

I am glad to hear that. Yes, my cannister looks very "calm" without any noise at all, and flowrate is normal. But because of the big mess I made yesterday, a lot of water was thrown away, and I had casualties today. Very upset with the big mess I made.
Old 23-07-2006, 10:54 PM   #26
cheetf
Dragon

Sorry to hear that. Don't really understand why the water loss caused casualties. Get a good antichlorine. I am using the FRITZ brand, a bit pricy but good, only need to use drops. On top of that the CRS seem to react fine to it.

As for me I just transferred all my CRS to my new tank. Crossing my fingers and toes now ! Hope they will be okay, tested with one CRS in the new tank for a week and it's still surviving.
Old 23-07-2006, 11:02 PM   #27
swkoh79

Because I did not think too much, and just top up with the 2 day old water I have in the pail. I think the water parameters changed too much, and this morning I could not find 2 of the CRS. They have been fine all the while until today. Anyway, when I primed the water, a lot of dirt get washed out, wonder if that is the cause also.
Old 24-07-2006, 01:58 AM   #28
Ahyann

sounds like an air-lock
Old 24-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #29
Leopard88

When air is trapped inside canister, it will give off a rattling sound. That means the impeller is hitting against the magnetic wall of the pump when air is presence. If this continue, the impeller can be damage very soon.

I normally do either of the below when cleaning out the canister :

1. Ensure you lock the valves before removing the inlet/outlet hoses and ensure water is still held inside the hoses, especially the inlet hose to canister.

After washing the canister, fill canister to the brim with water, then put back the top pump cover and latch all lateches securely. you will se water gushing out from the inlet/outlet ports.

With the inlet/outlet ports still full of water, connect back the hoses.

Power on the canister (both valves still in locked position), then unlock the inlet valves, followed by the outlet valves. These procedure ensure the water is drawn in by the inlet hose to fill up any air space inside canister before they are pushed out of the outlet hose.

2. If procedure 1 failed and air still trap inside canister (by way of rattling sound), I will use those suction hose (those hose with a ball to start water suction for water change) and force water into the inlet basket (the inlet mesh inside tank) while canister is running until all air is forced out.

Hope above helps.
Old 24-07-2006, 09:14 PM   #30
swkoh79

My filter does not give off any noise at all. In fact, the air is only around the rim area, if I do not tilt it, I will not even notice that these is air. I will try the first method you mentioned this weekend. In the meanwhile, if there is no noise, I suppose no damage will be done right?