Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Product Reviews

Old 11-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #1
nim75sg

Default American Marine PinPoint Calcium Monitor

This is my latest toy acquired 3 weeks ago but only finally managed to get a chance to use it.

My review would be not as sosphicated as Randy from Reefkeeping but at least it provides a certain aspect in terms of practicality.

IMO overall the Calcium Monitor is affordable and pretty accurate since it is powdered by a 9-volt battery. Funny that the vendor can't afford to supply this with the unit.

Based on past experiences with AM PinPoint pH monitor, the monitor will operate continuously about 150 hours before replacing the S$4.50 9V battery when the "low battery" indicator is on the display.

Also I find it rather unusual that the vendor advise to store the probe with tap water in the plastic storage bottle cap. Instead, I am storing the proble using DI water.

Warranty in perspective, American Marine is providing 24 months free of defects from date of sale eg. LCD display segments missing.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
nim75sg

The Calcium Monitor comes standard with the following:

1) 100 ppm Ca+ calibration fluid
2) 1,000 ppm Ca+ calibration fluid
3) Reference electrolyte fluid for the probe
4) Calcium Probe Assembly.

In the event of running out of calibration fluid, they're available from the local agent here.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:45 AM   #3
monsterz1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim75sg
This is my latest toy acquired 3 weeks ago but only finally managed to get a chance to use it.

My review would be not as sosphicated as Randy from Reefkeeping but at least it provides a certain aspect in terms of practicality.

IMO overall the Calcium Monitor is affordable and pretty accurate since it is powdered by a 9-volt battery. Funny that the vendor can't afford to supply this with the unit.

Based on past experiences with AM PinPoint pH monitor, the monitor will operate continuously about 150 hours before replacing the S$4.50 9V battery when the "low battery" indicator is on the display.

Also I find it rather unusual that the vendor advise to store the probe with tap water in the plastic storage bottle cap. Instead, I am storing the proble using DI water.

Warranty in perspective, American Marine is providing 24 months free of defects from date of sale eg. LCD display segments missing.
So fast use up for the battery? Ken if u want buy 1 whole box of battery let me know i be happy to help u.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:51 AM   #4
nim75sg

Setting up the meter initially is a pain in the neck as the instructions provided are not comprehensive for a reefer confronting it for the first time.

This is especially the case when the instruction manual states to fill up the probe to 1/2 inch below the black cap when there are 2 black caps. Other than this hidcup, the monitor is fun to use.

The measuring range is from 0.000 to 9,772.0 ppm and any meaurements above this range are indicated on the LCD display panel as "Hi".

Confirmed this "Hi" reading I test a cupful of water with two teaspoon of Epson Salt.

Here is a typical reading from one of my tanks
Old 11-04-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
nim75sg

This is another reading from DI water:
Old 11-04-2005, 11:55 AM   #6
nim75sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterz1975
So fast use up for the battery? Ken if u want buy 1 whole box of battery let me know i be happy to help u.
OK .. Will sms you since I am using two American Pinpoint Monitors ....
Old 11-04-2005, 12:04 PM   #7
nim75sg

Comments as follows IMHO:

Pros
1) No longer has to count the drips when using test solutions
2) Low operating Cost
3) Accurate measurements as compare with test solutions
4) 24 months warranty

Cons
1) No 220V AC Adapter
2) Calibration difficult initially setup for first timer
3) Replacement probe expensive

Buy recommendation for those who hate counting or keep missing drips or color blind.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #8
monsterz1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim75sg
OK .. Will sms you since I am using two American Pinpoint Monitors ....
Wow that will cost a bomb.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:34 PM   #9
Reefaholic

There is a review on this.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-04/rhf/index.htm
Old 04-06-2005, 06:56 PM   #10
slcw

how much is it?