Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 24-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #31
situs-sk2
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyliv View Post
Not bad la, that bro still steady!

Anyway, nice M blue and simple design.

Are you using the Blue actinic light?
Thanks bro, I'm using the sumersible LED blue lighting, Brand SeaStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Man View Post
whoa 4' pentagon??? that's quite big man! should last for awhile then (:

yea the bro steady enough still paid the bidding price
Yup, he is a steady buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Mania View Post
Bro, suggestion for your set up. One way to get deeper coloration is to use a darker background or base. The mblues look kindda "puchat" or washed out due to the light background. I had that problem before and when I changed to black background and sand thier color deepened and your fishes show better. Since your is a mixed collection of burundis and mblues then you change either the background or darker base.You will see the difference.

Thanks for the advise bro, will do something on the background, as for mixture collection already cease, I have transfer my 9 burundis to other tank

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Also use ont ube artic blue and the othe other white. Lights should have individual switch so you can play about with the colors (MTCW)
Btw you tries using ghost shrimps?
I have 2 different lighting in my Mimpbewe tank, one is Blue LED and the other one is white NAN light come in 2 different switches. The background should able to do the trick to bring out the contrast. Tried feeding Ghost Shrimps, don't really like and spit out after chewing. Haiz... pellets still the best
situs-sk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #32
Betta Mania

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by situs-sk2 View Post
Thanks bro, I'm using the sumersible LED blue lighting, Brand SeaStar

Yup, he is a steady buyer

I have 2 different lighting in my Mimpbewe tank, one is Blue LED and the other one is white NAN light come in 2 different switches. The background should able to do the trick to bring out the contrast. Tried feeding Ghost Shrimps, don't really like and spit out after chewing. Haiz... pellets still the best
Bro, you are a steady frontosa owner - you work hard to create the best envitoment fo r your fronts! Great job bro. The vid is excellent.
As for your ghost shrimp - try ot out again, with mine the shrimps disappear as soon as they are in the tank! Some live foods is good to supplement pellets!
Old 24-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #33
situs-sk2
Dragon

Noted with thanks bro, I will buy brineshrimps for them tonight as dinner.
Try feeding SW last night, they love it... lol
Old 24-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #34
Betta Mania

Thumbs down

Quote:
Noted with thanks bro, I will buy brineshrimps for them tonight as dinner.
Try feeding SW last night, they love it... lol
bro - these are frontosas and NOT aros! Frontosa has a problem called bloat and thus certain foods are not suggested amongst them SW!!!!! Neither should you feed feeders, tosat. tubifex. Please restrict their diets to sinking pellets. mp. ghost shrimp. good quality frozen bloodwaorms, beef,...itherwise you get them up the lorry!

It is like your child - all children love sweets and ice cream. Do you just allow them to eat ice cream and sweets and choclates - the result they get ill. Your fronts may like SW but keep it away from them!!....unless!!!!!

Last edited by Betta Mania; 24-02-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 24-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #35
situs-sk2
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Mania View Post
bro - these are frontosas and NOT aros! Frontosa has a problem called bloat and thus certain foods are not suggested amongst them SW!!!!! Neither should you feed feeders, tosat. tubifex. Please restrict their diets to sinking pellets. mp. ghost shrimp. good quality frozen bloodwaorms, beef,...itherwise you get them up the lorry!

It is like your child - all children love sweets and ice cream. Do you just allow them to eat ice cream and sweets and choclates - the result they get ill. Your fronts may like SW but keep it away from them!!....unless!!!!!
Oic...thanks, I will keep this in mind bro
Old 01-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #36
kailee66
Arofanatic

nice setup

bro, care to share how long u cycle your tank before u add your lovely fish?
understand ph requirement @ >7.5, and salt and buffer...thus any ideas what plants is suitable? i saw most bro here uses rock..
kailee66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #37
Eric Chan

Arofanatic

Quote:
hello bros, newbie to frontosa but decided to give a try, pls feel free to comment and advise.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Hi Bro may I ask you where did you get your white colour flat rocks? It look neat in the tank.
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #38
situs-sk2
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailee66 View Post
nice setup

understand ph requirement @ >7.5, and salt and buffer...thus any ideas what plants is suitable? i saw most bro here uses rock..
Thanks bro, cycle water about few weeks before adding fishes will be safe, I added the beneficial bacteria to expedite the cycling process. I saw some youtube posting that their tangan tank setup with plants but not sure what plants are that, from my understanding frontosa require high PH and Salt content, what plants can survive under such condition?

Rocks are place inside the tank to create natural habitat enviroment, look soothing when blue light is shining on them, leaving a natural and marine feeling haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Chan View Post
Hi Bro may I ask you where did you get your white colour flat rocks? It look neat in the tank.
Hi bro, I bought them from Y618, 1 kg/$4. Flat and abit of natural colouring, look nice but rather small.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #39
Betta Mania

Thumbs up

Quote:
nice setup

Bro ps chk for threads on frontosa which will have much of the info you need as a newbie. Also pse understand your pH >7.5 is way below the required pH for frontosas as they need at least 9 to 9,5. Best to get Seachems Tanganyka Buffer to take the guess work out of the equation. Dont forget the use of Epsom salt. Helps with preventing a condition called bloa that affects frontosas. As for food use only sinking type pellets, do not feed feeders or sws. Ghost shrimp, mp, beef, beef heart is ok

These websites may help since you a newbie:

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...ikaBuffer.html

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...dLakeSalt.html

http://www.seachem.com/Library/SeaGr...n_Cichlids.pdf

Check out website specific for frontosa such as cyphos for indepth specific info about frontosas

As for plants, most serious front keepers do not use plants as it affects your pH level thus driftwood is avoided. The tannin may leeech and kill your fronts. If you use rocks do not use sharp rocks or coral rocks as frontosas are skittish and tend to dash about,thus hurt themselves or thier eyes. Us ROUND SMOOTH BOULDERS. They can be bought from landscape companies. They are also slightly cheaper than lfs. Check out YouTube for ideas. Good luck bro and welcome!! Check out the AF thread for Frontosa Fans!

Last edited by Betta Mania; 01-03-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #40
aquafanatic
Arofanatic

Quote:
nice setup

Can try nana or java fern. Very hardy even in high pH & hard water. But doesn't mimic the lake
aquafanatic is offline   Reply With Quote