Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 10-08-2005, 03:35 PM   #21
john2gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroboy II
Bro John, what flowrate is most effective then? Thanks.
hello aroboy

depending on the size of the tank, and the wattage of the UVC.

if you have 40 watt UVC.....I'll go w/ 150 gph the most.

but if you have lesser watt UVC (13 watts) ..........alot slower gph will be better, maybe 100 gph or less. but the problem with this is...........w/ a slower gph.....the living parasites/pathogens in the tank....may be able to multiply in a faster rate......... compared to the pathogens being zapped.....thus the UVC serves useless

and if you speed up the flow rate...............not enough dwelling time to zap the pathogens......then again, the uvc serves useless .........since the pathogens are not being killed......and they are also multiplying inside the tank

I am currently running my 13 watt jebo w/ my eheim 2028 with a flow rate of 270 gph. But 270 gph is what Eheim measured when they run w/o media inside. With media inside the canister,eheim 2028 will probably have around 200 gph or less. This set-up of mine, I believe is still too fast for my UVC to kill parasites (fast gph w/ a low watt uvc). That's why I know, my uvc is not able to kill parasites........maybe only some bacterias and free floating algae.

Thats why, if I have the extra money..........I'll go for 40 watt UVC and hook it up w/ a 100 gph pump. Then I will be rest assured.....it is really doing what it supposed to do....

Old 10-08-2005, 03:44 PM   #22
john2gs

Quote:
Thanks for your prompt reply.
no problem bro..

I am currently running my 13 watt jebo w/ my eheim 2028 with a flow rate of 270 gph. But 270 gph is what Eheim measured when they run w/o media inside. With media inside the canister,eheim 2028 will probably have around 200 gph or less. This set-up of mine, I believe is still too fast for my UVC to kill parasites (fast gph w/ a low watt uvc). That's why I know, my uvc is not able to kill parasites........maybe only some bacterias and free floating algae.

Thats why, if I have the extra money..........I'll go for 40 watt UVC and hook it up w/ a 100 gph pump. Then I will be rest assured.....it is really doing what it supposed to do....

Old 18-08-2005, 10:14 PM   #23
john2gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{-_-}xX
Thanks for the reply... now i have set my eyes on astro brand 36w which is selling for $80 from a bro... with reduced flow... do u think it will be able to kill parasite?
yes bro...

go less than 150gph

plus make sure, the UV tube is not old, or else it wont be effective. Those UV tubes/lights....are only good for about 6-8 months, then needs to be replaced.

Old 29-08-2005, 05:11 PM   #24
el993

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2gs
yes bro...

go less than 150gph

plus make sure, the UV tube is not old, or else it wont be effective. Those UV tubes/lights....are only good for about 6-8 months, then needs to be replaced.
Hi bro john, few questions:
- can off the tube by autotimer say 6 hours per day just to save energy?
- intend to use a small submerge pump to circulate water through UV tube instead of going through canister, practical?
- what is the main advantage using UV sterilization for aros if there is any ?

Thanks a lot.

Old 30-08-2005, 08:43 AM   #25
john2gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by el993
Hi bro john, few questions:
- can off the tube by autotimer say 6 hours per day just to save energy?
- intend to use a small submerge pump to circulate water through UV tube instead of going through canister, practical?
- what is the main advantage using UV sterilization for aros if there is any ?

Thanks a lot.
1.) if you off the UV light tube............it becomes useless...especially if you want to zap pathogens/parasites/etc. Since the pathogens left inside the tank that were not zapped...will just multiply again.....

2.) you can use a small pump

3.) main advantage of UVC......is to minimize the # of pathogens/bacterias/parasites in your tank. Lowering the #s will lessen the risk of your aro becoming sick due to pathogens....and lessening their stress too. And avoid sudden deaths of aros........due to unknown reason (water parameters are perfect, food is perfect, no electrical malfunction, etc).

HTH.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:37 PM   #26
OnceInLife

Very interesting article. But if you don't mind I have a question - if I use Dennerle S7 can I turn on the UV, because I used to turn on UV 24/7.

Thanks.

Old 07-09-2005, 03:09 AM   #27
john2gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceInLife
Very interesting article. But if you don't mind I have a question - if I use Dennerle S7 can I turn on the UV, because I used to turn on UV 24/7.

Thanks.
UV have "some" effect on medications/liquid ad on

i will turn of UV, during the time period...

Old 11-09-2005, 03:55 PM   #28
shark
Dragon

I had asked this qn a few times, but doent seem to get the answer yet.

can we ON the UV 24/7? because from my past exp in planted tank, we cannot ON the UV 24/7, the max time to ON each day is 2-3hr, because it will kill not only the bad BB, and teh good BB as well. but now since I on aro with no plant inside, so does that mean we can ON UV 24/7??

need advise here. thanks
Old 11-09-2005, 04:29 PM   #29
Aroboy II
AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark
I had asked this qn a few times, but doent seem to get the answer yet.

can we ON the UV 24/7? because from my past exp in planted tank, we cannot ON the UV 24/7, the max time to ON each day is 2-3hr, because it will kill not only the bad BB, and teh good BB as well. but now since I on aro with no plant inside, so does that mean we can ON UV 24/7??

need advise here. thanks
Why not bro. Just get the bulb replace every 6mths if you on 24/7. Cheers.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:35 PM   #30
shark
Dragon

Quote:
Why not bro. Just get the bulb replace every 6mths if you on 24/7. Cheers.
icic, so can ON 24/7 rite?