Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #141
HeiBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jivarus View Post
OMG! O.O

That's a totally different species leh...
What's that???

Old 07-07-2008, 11:25 PM   #142
Jivarus

Cherax Quadricarinatus = Red Claw - Red Membrane at the sides, although they are another kind of blue moult, which they call Siberian Red Claw.

The rainbow cray is currently known as the Cherax Sp. Hoa Creek, no scientific name, so it follows after the name it was discovered...

Old 07-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #143
HeiBee

O.o!! Dunno leh, must see closely next time..
The claw didn't seem that thin and elongated though.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #144
chris

Like to know whether bros here keep those crayfish in individual tank or you com them?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #145
Jivarus

Anyway, something sad to share:

Moult halfway, not here not there. Totally not moving.

I'm thinking maybe it died due to over dehydration. SIAN!

Old 07-07-2008, 11:33 PM   #146
HeiBee

You probably shouldn't touch it even when it seems dead...
btw dehydrated?? Wasn't it underwater?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:38 PM   #147
Lobsterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Like to know whether bros here keep those crayfish in individual tank or you com them?
Unless for breeding purposes, I keep them individually.

Quote:
Anyway, something sad to share:

Moult halfway, not here not there. Totally not moving.

I'm thinking maybe it died due to over dehydration. SIAN!
So sorry to hear about your loss... I tend to suspect that temperature is the problem.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #148
Jivarus

Here's what happened:

That day brought back a few crays, so no place to put them, then I decided to put the Blue Moon in the 2 feet tank, because it was the largest, and so no other tanks liao, so in front put a lot of plastic containers...

Then to prevent the crays from climbing out, I placed the lid on, cutting a hole on top, then went to sleep. 2 a.m. wake up to check on them, see if they're actively climbing out, surprisingly all of them were sleeping. Then wake up this morning to find the orange tip under the tv shelf there. Whole body got dust, then I was wondering how the hell did it even get out...

Then I realised the orange tip actually used its big claws to "pivot" itself out of the plastic container... Put it back into the container quickly after washing it. Then went out and came back in the evening. Nothing much happened, and it was still moving as per normally. This morning woke up to find a crack at the carapace, as it was still a small crack only, went to school not thinking much about it, thought later come back then prepare the basin for moult.

When I came home, it wasn't moving already, but the crack got huge...

So any suggestions why it died? This is something I've never experienced before lor, put back already, shouldn't die what, unless it was critically dehydrated lor, so that's my assumption...

Old 07-07-2008, 11:46 PM   #149
Lobsterman

Quote:
Here's what happened:

That day brought back a few crays, so no place to put them, then I decided to put the Blue Moon in the 2 feet tank, because it was the largest, and so no other tanks liao, so in front put a lot of plastic containers...

Then to prevent the crays from climbing out, I placed the lid on, cutting a hole on top, then went to sleep. 2 a.m. wake up to check on them, see if they're actively climbing out, surprisingly all of them were sleeping. Then wake up this morning to find the orange tip under the tv shelf there. Whole body got dust, then I was wondering how the hell did it even get out...

Then I realised the orange tip actually used its big claws to "pivot" itself out of the plastic container... Put it back into the container quickly after washing it. Then went out and came back in the evening. Nothing much happened, and it was still moving as per normally. This morning woke up to find a crack at the carapace, as it was still a small crack only, went to school not thinking much about it, thought later come back then prepare the basin for moult.

When I came home, it wasn't moving already, but the crack got huge...

So any suggestions why it died? This is something I've never experienced before lor, put back already, shouldn't die what, unless it was critically dehydrated lor, so that's my assumption...
What was the water level in the container? I assume it is half-submerged?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:56 PM   #150
Jivarus

Yeah, around 3/4 of the cray.

Closed Thread