Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 21-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #11
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitticus View Post
I've bought discus for a few times and each time they arrive at my place, they are usually hard to coax to eat. Each time i have to use blood worm to trigger their appetite, it may take up to a week for shy fish, sometimes just 2 days for the more outgoing individuals.
It is normal for new fish to take couple of days to get used to the new environment before they start eating.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiotom View Post
Even when we bag our healthy looking discus home, its highly recommended that we quarantine them in a different tank before eventually releasing them to the main comm.

If we skip this step we may pay a big price.
I can't agree more on this, but must do a proper quarantine, but also depends on the source. I made a mistake many yrs ago, by buying from an unreliable source, and not doing proper quarantine. I thought acclimatising them for 1 mth is good enough w/o any medication. The 2 pcs of LS looked fine, but just 1 day after putting them into comm tank, the whole tank got infected and I lost a couple of good and beautiful leopards. Jus over 1 nite, bad enough to kill and nearly wipe out the whole tank.
Old 21-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
Espree

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard View Post
I can't agree more on this, but must do a proper quarantine, but also depends on the source. I made a mistake many yrs ago, by buying from an unreliable source, and not doing proper quarantine. I thought acclimatising them for 1 mth is good enough w/o any medication. The 2 pcs of LS looked fine, but just 1 day after putting them into comm tank, the whole tank got infected and I lost a couple of good and beautiful leopards. Jus over 1 nite, bad enough to kill and nearly wipe out the whole tank.
Indeed. Therefore always buy from reputable source and they will recommand you to buy which fishes. They will also advise you if the fish is sick.
Old 21-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #14
leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espree View Post
Indeed. Therefore always buy from reputable source and they will recommand you to buy which fishes. They will also advise you if the fish is sick.
I always buy from breeder, but just that 1 time when I passes by a farm at Pasir Ris and saw this LS that I like. Its the 1 and only tank of discuses among the goldfishes. The fishes looked fine, not sick, or even at all dark, but they do carry parasites. Anyway, I also ever bought a sick fish from the breeder too. He didn't say directly that the fish is sick, but hinted, but I didn't get the hint until I brought it home and did some recollection of what he said. I trusted him and didn't do a proper check b4 buying, my mistake.

Last edited by leopard; 21-01-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 21-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #15
KOA

There're always the environment factors to affect the buyer, only the owners will know better of their fishes. The factors can be of many such as that is the one and only fish you looking for, the price is cheap, the time that you have spent with the seller and travel, can't tell whether the fish is sick or not, no experience with the fishes, etc.

All these factors can affect your buying decision, so it is also a little difficult to judge correctly on the spot. The best is still observe a few times if possible, and also need some experience to judge whether to tell whether can purchase or not.
Old 21-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #16
eruption
Arofanatic

Default 。。。

Quote:
Even when we bag our healthy looking discus home, its highly recommended that we quarantine them in a different tank before eventually releasing them to the main comm.

非常同意 agree totally.
eruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #17
eruption
Arofanatic

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruption View Post
非常同意 agree totally.
And also to have a quarantine standard procedure of your own.
Example:
How many days
Water level
Heater
Cease feeding
Medications: tetracycline, OTC... Etc..
These are some of my SOP mentioned above.

Cliff
Old 21-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #18
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Reputable or not sources we still have to quarantine any new discus members.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #19
eruption
Arofanatic

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Reputable or not sources we still have to quarantine any new discus members.
Agreed x a million times..
Old 21-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #20
aroboii

Quote:

just to ask do we put in medication while we quarantine them ?