Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 05-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #11
dzylim
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxon88 View Post
Bro where to get RO filter.

I am staying in woodlands. New BTO
u can try asking hardware shop or DIY shops. Price is not cheap though but compare to your pets, they should be worth the money.
dzylim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #12
markuslee
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxon88 View Post
Bro where to get RO filter.

I am staying in woodlands. New BTO
New BTO near 888? Surprise that with the 3 stage filter you are using your fish are still suffering. The filter consist of carbon?
markuslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #13
maxon88
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzylim View Post
u can try asking hardware shop or DIY shops. Price is not cheap though but compare to your pets, they should be worth the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markuslee View Post
New BTO near 888? Surprise that with the 3 stage filter you are using your fish are still suffering. The filter consist of carbon?
Ya BTO near 888. Ya i am at my wit end about this tank. I think the 3 stage filter got carbon inside

And given our 'giant' new HDB I dun have space to age my water. BTW my speed of return water during WC is close to dripping liao..

Anyone can point me to a DO system?
maxon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #14
canopy
Dragon

RO system you may wanna look for marine shop. RO system is not cheap thot.
canopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #15
^GeNoME^
Dragon

do you have carbon filter as well? how many micron filter are you using? did you do comprehensive water parameters testing?
^GeNoME^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #16
^GeNoME^
Dragon

http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/abrand.asp?catcode=44&cn=DI / Reverse Osmosis

you must a lot of water if you use Ro or DI machine. best is to find out the exact cause of death. Does the carcass of your fish looks normal? any red spots etc? behavior?
^GeNoME^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #17
kepala sakit
Dragon

Some added additve spur/induce slime (fishes) which may in term drown by it, moreover, it'll also deplete DO in the process, imo, prolong bubbling (age water) may help hasten the oxidation and DO inducement process unless it's not effected by the viscosity of water. Otw, the residual remain.
kepala sakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #18
maxon88
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^GeNoME^ View Post
http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/abrand.asp?catcode=44&cn=DI / Reverse Osmosis

you must a lot of water if you use Ro or DI machine. best is to find out the exact cause of death. Does the carcass of your fish looks normal? any red spots etc? behavior?
For my rays the sides are burnt. The rest usually the gills turned white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepala sakit View Post
Some added additve spur/induce slime (fishes) which may in term drown by it, moreover, it'll also deplete DO in the process, imo, prolong bubbling (age water) may help hasten the oxidation and DO inducement process unless it's not effected by the viscosity of water. Otw, the residual remain.
Bro sorry dun understand
maxon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #19
sengwoon
Arofanatic

Bro maxon88, why not do a water test and complain to HDB if the readings is bad?
sengwoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #20
illumnae
Dragon

RO system can get from MadPetz at Sin Ming (Midview City). Much more cost effective than the ones at AquaMarin, as MadPetz owner orders in parts and assembles them himself (Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated to them in any way, I'm just their customer for my own RO system and marine stuff). However, one thing about RO is that you definitely need a storage barrel as it produces the water very slowly.

I'm in my 4th year of using RO and I have no regrets setting up the system. It really removes the risk of PUB screwing up the water and killing your fish. I set up the system when I experienced similar problems to you - during extreme weather days, doing a wc would cause all my fish to go dark and have heavy breathing.

With RO, you can "customize" your water the way you want it - leave it as it is if you're keeping blackwater fish like Heckel discus or altums, or add back buffer salts to your fish's requirements. A little more troublesome, but not much different from adding antichlorine or salt or blackwater extract during/after every water change. It's really much better for your fish in the long run, especially if you keep sensitive species.

PS: If you're already using a 3 stage sediment/carbon system and you're good at DIY, it may be more cost effective for you to simply buy an RO membrane casing + RO membrane + fittings/hose and modify your current unit to an RO unit. RO systems are basically 3 stage prefilter + RO membrane with some special parts like flow restrictor and flush kit. Easy to google the connections, buy the parts and do it yourself since you have half the system at home already.

Last edited by illumnae; 06-02-2014 at 10:44 AM.
illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote