Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 25-02-2014, 02:30 AM   #11
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Another medium you can try using to wrap your substrate ball would be sphagnum moss. Good thing about sphagnum moss is it's natural resistance to fungus and pests and it's natural high absorbancy of water.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...uide-lots.html

Here's a good example of a DIY wabikusa. Closest thing to river mud? Perhaps you can enquire with any of our aro farms if they are ok with you grabbing some mud from their mud ponds. Pretty sure those come with high nutrient content. Plant wise, I recommend taking a walk through the sungei buloh nature reserve. That would give you a good idea and some inspiration on your wabikusa layout. Esp when armed with your trusty cam. Hope it helps.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #12
dzylim
Arofanatic

from what i have tried with moss, it is not easy to grow them nicely. the best effect i have gotten is riccia, and they actually grow very well when immersed and spread very nicely when out of water. the problem is how to keep them wet so that they do not die.

I will grab a pic of my riccia tonight and post here.

and when my terrestrial moss tank is ready i will share here too.
dzylim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #13
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzylim View Post
from what i have tried with moss, it is not easy to grow them nicely. the best effect i have gotten is riccia, and they actually grow very well when immersed and spread very nicely when out of water. the problem is how to keep them wet so that they do not die.

Sounds good!
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #14
armageddon
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzylim View Post

riccia if trimmed often and kept well is extremely beautiful and pearls easily... but i had nightmares with this... in the past, used to have a little bit at 1 side to try growing. but after awhile got tired and trowed away 99% of it... however, 1 month later, the remaining 1% just grew so much that is impossible to clear. it is a weed!!! if want to clear, must clear ALL and not even a single strend should be allowed to stay in tank...
armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #15
dzylim
Arofanatic

this is how i grow my riccia, i notice that they do not survive in uncooled water. however they grow very well emmersed. thus like this i don have to trim and they cover they DW nicely.

for the best pearling effect, i suggest a bottle of green water.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:37 AM   #16
wei_yuan86
Dragon

Wah looks good bro!
But the wabi kusa should look very minimal... Meaning no filters etc. Just maybe daily spraying of water on the plant?
wei_yuan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #17
dzylim
Arofanatic

that is my fishtank. i created a platform for me to grow plant emerged, but somehow my cray fish love to live in that area.