Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 04-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #21
QAE8687

Bro, hope to see more updates in the future on the second Showa. Look very interesting on the maruten.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #22
nutx
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence28 View Post
Update my babies:
Both turn out to be gals... not fantastic patterns but since they are from my showa mummy, i keep and see what they will become.
Bro Terence,

For Showa 2, we can see that some beni marking turn out to be secndary hi mark at the moment.

For Showa 1, the pattern still developing, as the sumi mark on the body is just surfacing. She has a good beni pattern, so if more sumi come out near tail end, she will look nicer.
The beni don't look strong, so you may want to "control" the growth rate, or enhance with colour food (which I understand you don't feed).

btw, female parent provide body, and male parent will provided quality of skin and pattern.

Cheers!
nutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #23
terence28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutx View Post
Bro Terence,

For Showa 2, we can see that some beni marking turn out to be secndary hi mark at the moment.

For Showa 1, the pattern still developing, as the sumi mark on the body is just surfacing. She has a good beni pattern, so if more sumi come out near tail end, she will look nicer.
The beni don't look strong, so you may want to "control" the growth rate, or enhance with colour food (which I understand you don't feed).

btw, female parent provide body, and male parent will provided quality of skin and pattern.

Cheers!
Hi PB,

Thanks for yr pointers, I agree with you. As you can see, most of the time we pick the fast growers and so the beni tend to stretch very thin. Maybe i should try out some of the normal sized ones as they dun grow so fast so colour holds better.

I also wish i have a home pond to groom my young babies, then i can have more control over the growth and diet.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #24
AngryMan
Senior Dragon

Default Koi

Nice babies. Do update us on it progress grow. Thanks for sharing.
AngryMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #25
nutx
Dragon

Quote:
Hi PB,

Thanks for yr pointers, I agree with you. As you can see, most of the time we pick the fast growers and so the beni tend to stretch very thin. Maybe i should try out some of the normal sized ones as they dun grow so fast so colour holds better.

I also wish i have a home pond to groom my young babies, then i can have more control over the growth and diet.
Bro...

Fast grower will have a Strectch beni, but not thin.

Many dealers will claim that thin beni is cause by Fast Growth.
This is partially a marketing gimmicks.

There were some discussions in the M'sia Koi forum years back with example of scale colouration. (but I couldn't locate that thread...sorie..)
They give good examples of what is good beni stretch and what is thin beni stretch, etc...
Old 05-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #26
ivanlo24

Awesome Maruten Showa
Old 05-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #27
Rock

Quote:
Bro...

There were some discussions in the M'sia Koi forum years back with example of scale colouration. (but I couldn't locate that thread...sorie..)
They give good examples of what is good beni stretch and what is thin beni stretch, etc...
I remember reading that if you observe each scale, if there is an intense beni spot, and it sort of gets lighter as it moves away from that spot, it is ok. But if the entire scale looks weak, then it is no good.

Sashi is also an indication of 'multi-layer' good quality beni. Erm.. that's all I can remember.

Btw IMHO, too rich beni in tosai might not be that good. Coz maybe it's a male! heheh...
Old 05-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #28
terence28

Quote:
Bro...

Hi bro,

U seem to have issues with "many dealers" cos u tend to use this term quite a bit in yr postings... I guess there's lots of gimmicks going around, same as aro sellers too... I was once taught by a reputable aro shop owner, now farmer that PLJ and droop eye in reds is acceptable....hahahaha!

Anyway what i said about the beni stretching is my own observation on my own fish, watching them grow from small to big. I like to keep things simple...
Old 05-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #29
sgbetta
Senior Dragon

The kindai look like goin to hv a nice bodyline!!! Those pui pui kind of fish i always like!!
sgbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #30
nutx
Dragon

Quote:
Hi bro,

U seem to have issues with "many dealers" cos u tend to use this term quite a bit in yr postings... I guess there's lots of gimmicks going around, same as aro sellers too... I was once taught by a reputable aro shop owner, now farmer that PLJ and droop eye in reds is acceptable....hahahaha!

Anyway what i said about the beni stretching is my own observation on my own fish, watching them grow from small to big. I like to keep things simple...
Haha Bro Terence,

I've no issue with any of them, but know or came across many using such marketing gimmicks, which to me, I do not accept from personal ethic point of view.

But they have their own livinghood and style of running business, so I'll not interfere with them... as long as they don't cross me.

You can also see, I buy fish from anywhere, as long as I fall in "love" with that koi....
No bias against any single dealer.