Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 08-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
beo

Default Newbie planted tank

Hi all, Just want to share our new planted tank taken after 1 day of cycling. Many thanks to cheetf for sharing his valuable tips

It's been 3 days of cycling now and glad to see that the plants are growing well and taller especially near the co2 area. A few plants in the mid-ground are actually growing much taller than we want though...

can't wait to intro fishes into the tank, but no2/no3 still present....

please feel free to comment....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01804.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	282936   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01801.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	282937  
Old 08-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
cheetf
Dragon

Good effort for a first timer! Just gave you my 2 cent comments that's all. Anyway, I shall let you discover the enjoyment of trimming and the different growth rates and heights of the different plants.
You can look here for more info.

The rocks plus your fan will bring up the GH quite a bit, you might have to do more water changes to keep it in check.

Last edited by cheetf; 08-06-2011 at 04:23 PM.
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
beo

Ah ok... been changing water.

Added some coral chips to my canister to keep the PH swings in check too.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
braveyr

Wow bro ur tank is nice!!! Just wonder if you wan to do something more to the white sand part... Post more pics!!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Wazowski

pretty decent setup there bro. just take note some of the plants you have will grow pretty quick with sufficient lights & co2. but like wad bro cheeft advice do take note of the growth rate. some plants you have grow pretty quick and you should be able to notice it soon. as for the tiger lotus at the rear left side of the tank, a word of caution they can spread pretty wildly.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
beo

Thanks for all comments.

The "white sand part" is actually our designated "Cory Playground" - provided the cories do not out stay their welcome by messing up the sand and soil demarcation, failing which my wife will sentence them to death. Hur hur hur.

As for the fast growing nature of the plants we noticed most of them are looking good already, except for what I think are Hydrillas in the front... maybe if they die off I'll transplant some cutting from the other plants there.

================================================

Can anyone tell me the name of the green plant right in the middle that is growing straight up? It has tiny hairs on its stems. Does it grow tall?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
cheetf
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beo View Post

Can anyone tell me the name of the green plant right in the middle that is growing straight up? It has tiny hairs on its stems. Does it grow tall?

Thanks!
The bacopa? The straight stem one with the round leaves? It can get pretty tall.
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
beo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetf View Post
The bacopa? The straight stem one with the round leaves? It can get pretty tall.
Looks different from the pics leh.

But I have a feeling it would grow tall.

Well my red tiger lilies having some greenish tinge on leaves, maybe they are covering each other... tried to space out the leave more... see how la.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
beo

Update: After 4 days of cycling
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01811.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	282984   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01812.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	282985   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01808.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	282986  
Old 09-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beo View Post
The "white sand part" is actually our designated "Cory Playground" - provided the cories do not out stay their welcome by messing up the sand and soil demarcation, failing which my wife will sentence them to death. Hur hur hur.
Thanks!
It's a 100% Money-Back Guarantee that your sand will be messed up. My cories love to dig through the sand to forage for food. And worse, with any loud noises or sudden movements outside the tank, the cory will flick it's tail and THAT, will stir up everything.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote