Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 30-08-2005, 05:27 PM   #71
fong
Dragon

You mean having dark top is a better camouflague than a crossed top? .. think again bro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagemaru
I am referring to natural habitat...the waters in farms for XB are probably different...I have no links with Panda or other farms to do detail check on the water parameters...

but XB under pond conditions do exhibit a reduction of shine (or darkened tops)

anyway I know nuts about XB...maybe got to check with bro Kamisan and ZMT...they would be in better position to answer on XB...
Old 30-08-2005, 05:30 PM   #72
Ronald
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagemaru

Was this a result of tanning in tank or tanning in open pond?
If in tank, can shed more light to this tanning.....like wat sort of lights, total how many tubes, wat wattage, tanning hrs/day....kam sia....

These days tanning quite different fm when I started....see ppl put 3-4 nan light tubes in front of the tank until fish oso cannot see.

Last time we do in-house tanning by putting FGT with top PL light and nan light in water..... ....I tink cannot work liao....
Old 30-08-2005, 05:35 PM   #73
kagemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald
Was this a result of tanning in tank or tanning in open pond?
If in tank, can shed more light to this tanning.....like wat sort of lights, total how many tubes, wat wattage, tanning hrs/day....kam sia....

These days tanning quite different fm when I started....see ppl put 3-4 nan light tubes in front of the tank until fish oso cannot see.

Last time we do in-house tanning by putting FGT with top PL light and nan light in water..... ....I tink cannot work liao....
tank - controlled conditions with all parameters setup

there are various practices...tanning from top, side, bottom, 45 degrees from top and 45 degrees from bottom

I personally adopt the side tanning technique and utilise a DIY light set myself (combo of lighting sets) for max effect...u could use PL lights in replacement

there are also a type of tanning by insertion of lights standing vertical within water...but too tedious to implement

diff red I use diff lights...

Old 30-08-2005, 05:35 PM   #74
PeeCeeBee
Dragon

Just a question,

Given same tank set-up/ lightings/ water/ feeding/ fish from same brood, would those kept in comm eventually show better coloration than one single fish kept alone with no chance of fighting for alpha status or no chance to compete for mating partner? Assuming that all the fish has grown to adulthood.
Old 30-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #75
kagemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeCeeBee
Just a question,

Given same tank set-up/ lightings/ water/ feeding/ fish from same brood, would those kept in comm eventually show better coloration than one single fish kept alone with no chance of fighting for alpha status or no chance to compete for mating partner? Assuming that all the fish has grown to adulthood.
not possible cos the water will be subjected to too much changes in terms of ORP readings...comm tank a bit diff to maintain constant...

alpha will have best color

Most comms will always have alpha be it a same brooder batch or mixed and matched combination

from young to old there is no fights, such comms are available but I doubt there's any possibility of breeding pairs because of the following reasons:

1. Brotherhood/sisterhood too strong
2. Non competition between the comm members could be due to all females??

these types the color should be quite equal although I wouldnt say they will all reached RED

There are also cases whereby pair are swimming together the mating dance for donkey years but still dun breed...

In terms of adult pairs there are not many who had them in tanks...by the time they reach adulthood, they would be thrown inside pond liao

Old 30-08-2005, 05:49 PM   #76
fong
Dragon

the water surface is not still. Under the sun it is very reflective so does the shine of the cross backs.. some animals have pattern on the body just to break up its body silhouette. plain dark top doesnt provide that kind of camo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence28
This time i agree w u! I think dark top is safer than crossed top. Interestingly Indo's goldies are dark top as well...
Old 30-08-2005, 05:55 PM   #77
Fire87
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan
this is not the complete picture .... pigmentation is only part of the full picture .... put it this way, between the four defined races of caucasians, mongoloids, polynesians and afrikaans, the make up is already different but this is not something we want to go into here .... perhaps when we have an opportunity to sit over coffee, then we can talk abt this topic in depth
this one... it's a bit far off from our topic, but lets put it this way.

Do you think they are where they are because of their make up (eg. found a suitable habitat?), or they all started the same but 'evolved' to be what they are now?
Old 30-08-2005, 05:56 PM   #78
terence28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fong
the water surface is not still. Under the sun it is very reflective so does the shine of the cross backs.. some animals have pattern on the body just to break up its body silhouette. plain dark top doesnt provide that kind of camo...
Makes sense. Indo waters are not clear, so dark top is good camo. While malaysia waters where xbs thrive are clearer water that reflects light, so crossed top provides a camo effect...

Old 30-08-2005, 06:09 PM   #79
newbird^

Quote:
Originally Posted by fong
You mean having dark top is a better camouflague than a crossed top? .. think again bro...
bro fong...this one i dont agree leh..regarding having a crossed top

bro t28...MG in the kerian riverine system all like teh "o" colour...only certain upstreams area the water is clearer..

Old 30-08-2005, 06:26 PM   #80
fong
Dragon

I said the water is not still. it has waves and ripples and under sun is very reflective. So does the the shine of the cross back. and the crossing patterns help to break up the silhouette of the aro in the wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbird^
bro fong...this one i dont agree leh..regarding having a crossed top

bro t28...MG in the kerian riverine system all like teh "o" colour...only certain upstreams area the water is clearer..