Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
.Hack
Dragon

Default Help on Sump Pipings

My relative is giving me a 3x2x2.5 tank including sump setup, but his pipings does not have any valve to control the waterflow. The pipe from the overflow compartment to the sump tank is just a straight through pipe, no valve at all. Would like to check, is a valve necessary?
.Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
atwork
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
My relative is giving me a 3x2x2.5 tank including sump setup, but his pipings does not have any valve to control the waterflow. The pipe from the overflow compartment to the sump tank is just a straight through pipe, no valve at all. Would like to check, is a valve necessary?
A right flow rate pump will do the trick.
My sump valve I also fully open it till now like stuck already..
atwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
FanAromatic
Dragon

Agreed with bro atwork that a right flow rate pump will help, however, if you are not familiar how's the flow rate from the pipe, then measure the diameter of the pipe, go to hardware shop to ask for the valve, it doesn't cost you much. The valve is to help you regular the flow rate that is suitable for your pump.
FanAromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
.Hack
Dragon

Thanx for the replies bros.
Am I right to say that the higher the pump in the sump, the faster the flowrate?
Old 01-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
.Hack
Dragon

Another question, the tank height is 2.5ft, but i do not intend to fill up till so high.
Let's say if i lower the water level, can i use a pump to pump water to the overflow compartment?
In other words, instead of relying on the overflow, use a pump instead.

Something like this:
Old 02-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
Another question, the tank height is 2.5ft, but i do not intend to fill up till so high.
Let's say if i lower the water level, can i use a pump to pump water to the overflow compartment?
In other words, instead of relying on the overflow, use a pump instead.

Something like this:
Wouldn't that negate the overflow port? Moreover, you would have to equalise both flowrates of the 2 pumps. Your sump return pump and the pump in your main tank would be pumping at 2 different flowrates. Imho, it is doable, but very very tricky, unless you have at hand a very wide range of pumps with varying flowrates to try out. Any reason why you don't want to fill up to full? Running 2 pumps like that will increase your utility bills as well as create more heat in your tank.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
.Hack
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Wouldn't that negate the overflow port? Moreover, you would have to equalise both flowrates of the 2 pumps. Your sump return pump and the pump in your main tank would be pumping at 2 different flowrates. Imho, it is doable, but very very tricky, unless you have at hand a very wide range of pumps with varying flowrates to try out. Any reason why you don't want to fill up to full? Running 2 pumps like that will increase your utility bills as well as create more heat in your tank.
You have a point there bro. Think there will also be flooding issue as well if the pump in the sump is faulty? Tank pump continue to pump water in, but sump pump never pump water back to the main tank.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
atwork
Dragon

Just use those canister u pipe will do.
But remember that the pipe length inside ur overflow must be longer than in the tank.
I even use this method.
But flowrate from tank into the overflow compartment is quite slow so u need to monitor it closely in the beginning...
atwork is offline   Reply With Quote