Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 08-12-2006, 01:23 PM   #11
the_r0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zealot View Post
How about those external CO2 diffusers? Would it flare better, say for a 6x2x2 ft tank?
By saying external diffusors, I take it as the external reactors?

Honestly, it is very subjective.

Alot of people advocate having 100% diffusion/reaction rate while there is a new school of thought that having the CO2 bubbles running/misting around the tank is the best idea.

But the underlying foundation here is good circulation. Having a good and consistent circulation to spread the CO2 throughout the tank to attain good and uniform CO2 levels is very important.

Different methods honestly work with different people. I have used the 100% reaction method and the misting method and both honestly works fine for me. I am mostly using the misting method as I like to see the bubbles running around

Amano used diffusors in his tanks and alot of other aquascapers use external reactors like the one from NA with much success as well.

For such a big tank, the circulation will be a problem. Play around with the rainbars to have a good flow.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:44 AM   #12
zealot

Thanks Bro Rock,

Yes I do mean the reactor, my apologies as still not well versed with the terms.

I do have some concerns over the tank size as hence thought of using an external reactor and passing it through the rainbar on the left and right side of the tank (i.e. 2 sets of CO2), probably at a level as far below the water surface as possible.

In the event that this prove to be insufficient, I could add some diffusers in the middle of the tank.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:52 AM   #13
the_r0ck

I once did a 5 footer setup once for someone else and there was a major problem with the best method since it is pretty heavily planted.

I had one big cylinder and split it into 3 outputs. Used 2 for the individual reactor connected to the external cannister filter and a ADA beetle at a corner.

Some people said it is overdone but then I prefer to err on the side of caution.

His tank have had a constant level of 30+ppm for CO2.

Main point here is circulation. Must note how they are to be circulated. If the tank is Iwagami style with minimal obstructions, I will probably go with just 1 diffusor, which I did for another person in a 4 footer tank.

-Calvin
Old 10-12-2006, 03:30 AM   #14
blackBRUSHalgae

Yeah, no matter how well is your reactor or diffusor is, when your water circulation is inadequate, it is fultile.
Old 20-01-2007, 11:01 PM   #15
wilsonawt
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_r0ck View Post
I once did a 5 footer setup once for someone else and there was a major problem with the best method since it is pretty heavily planted.

I had one big cylinder and split it into 3 outputs. Used 2 for the individual reactor connected to the external cannister filter and a ADA beetle at a corner.

Some people said it is overdone but then I prefer to err on the side of caution.

His tank have had a constant level of 30+ppm for CO2.

Main point here is circulation. Must note how they are to be circulated. If the tank is Iwagami style with minimal obstructions, I will probably go with just 1 diffusor, which I did for another person in a 4 footer tank.

-Calvin

Thanks Calvin and everyone who commented.

Just another quick question...can i introduce Co2 directly into my cannister? is it advisable? cos my coil thingy is driving me nuts!
wilsonawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 01:54 AM   #16
KeIgO86

It can be done, but its not advisable. Personally I would be most worried about the problem of airlock in the canister.

Get an internal reactor and attach your filter outlet to it. Spinning bioballs can be quite nice to watch at times too.
Old 23-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #17
wilsonawt
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeIgO86 View Post
It can be done, but its not advisable. Personally I would be most worried about the problem of airlock in the canister.

Get an internal reactor and attach your filter outlet to it. Spinning bioballs can be quite nice to watch at times too.
Thanks! will definitely consider the internal reactor option.
Old 25-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #18
uniphyte

Hi, I'm using a Dennerle mini flipper, The zig zag flow type . So far, it works well for me in a 3 feet tank. One plus point about that is, it's already a bubble counter. So you don't need another one.
Old 26-01-2007, 09:56 AM   #19
wilsonawt
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniphyte View Post
Hi, I'm using a Dennerle mini flipper, The zig zag flow type . So far, it works well for me in a 3 feet tank. One plus point about that is, it's already a bubble counter. So you don't need another one.
oic..the one that looks like a pan with lines in it? is it effective?
Old 01-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #20
Bybloz
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniphyte View Post
I'm new to this... but isn't that flipper purely a bubble counter, and not a diffuser?
Bybloz is offline   Reply With Quote