Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 15-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #31
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

wow.. bro maybe just 250 of actived carbon is good enough.. no need so much. its always good start of with more on Biological filtration.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #32
ghim

I am using Ehiem 2211(switching from Ehiem 150) too for my 30cm Optiwhite cube. Just to share on how I reduced the flowrate. Initially, the water flow is really to strong with just the pipe. It killed off 1 of my oto, most likely died of exhaustion. So I cut the rainbar to fit my tank and faced it to the wall. Much better, but still little too strong. Add in a internal CO2 reactor, the flowrate is just right for me.

For your setup, I believe the chiller will reduce a certain amount of flowrate. Is it still too strong?

After looking at the images from ADA. Lily pipe should be my next change

Using active carbon during cycling is good, but not too much. Cause at the end of the day, you would still need to replace them with other filter media. Why not use Eheim Carbon Pad? 1 month of cycling with active carbon should be sufficient right?
Old 15-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #33
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
wow.. bro maybe just 250 of actived carbon is good enough.. no need so much. its always good start of with more on Biological filtration.
ADA's Mini S and Mini M that are supported by 2211 are mostly on activated carbon 24/7. The reason being that the filter media volume in a 2211 is a mere 1 litre. Also, I dun mind using 500ml as I want the scape to be as stable as possible during the first month. Eheim Aktive Carbon has an incredible 1200m2 of surface area per gram!

And no point I dump all biological filter media into the filter at this point as it will take about a month for the bacteria to establish, unlike chemical filtration which works instantly. The initial 500ml of Bio Rio is there not to filter for the first month, but to be able to take over once I cut down on activated carbon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghim View Post
I am using Ehiem 2211(switching from Ehiem 150) too for my 30cm Optiwhite cube. Just to share on how I reduced the flowrate. Initially, the water flow is really to strong with just the pipe. It killed off 1 of my oto, most likely died of exhaustion. So I cut the rainbar to fit my tank and faced it to the wall. Much better, but still little too strong. Add in a internal CO2 reactor, the flowrate is just right for me.

For your setup, I believe the chiller will reduce a certain amount of flowrate. Is it still too strong?

After looking at the images from ADA. Lily pipe should be my next change

Using active carbon during cycling is good, but not too much. Cause at the end of the day, you would still need to replace them with other filter media. Why not use Eheim Carbon Pad? 1 month of cycling with active carbon should be sufficient right?
Right now I'll still be going according to plan and do one month of activated carbon filtration. Yup, my chiller will cut the flow rate but to how much, I'm not sure yet as my tank setup is not complete, I have not even scape it yet! Haha. Rocks are coming in today.
Old 15-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #34
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
ADA's Mini S and Mini M that are supported by 2211 are mostly on activated carbon 24/7. The reason being that the filter media volume in a 2211 is a mere 1 litre. Also, I dun mind using 500ml as I want the scape to be as stable as possible during the first month. Eheim Aktive Carbon has an incredible 1200m2 of surface area per gram!

And no point I dump all biological filter media into the filter at this point as it will take about a month for the bacteria to establish, unlike chemical filtration which works instantly. The initial 500ml of Bio Rio is there not to filter for the first month, but to be able to take over once I cut down on activated carbon.
hmm.. i believe i know how actived carbon works. they suck extra nutrients and even nutrients that we dose in tanks for plants. and since eheim carbon had such a surface area. i believe little amount of carbon would be enough.. but well. since you already buy liao. might as well use it hor. haha.. bookmark this thread liao. your scape better be as nice as your nano hor!

edit : JIG, my 2cents advice to you, if the chiller acctually cut down alot of flow, and since 2211 is only 300l/hr i think it would work better for both chiller and tank(in terms of higher flowrate = lesser dead spot = lesser algae growth) to upgrade to a 2213.
Old 15-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #35
reaverx

wow u muz have spent alot bro ... i totally agree , eheim is on my green list
Old 15-01-2009, 08:14 PM   #36
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaverx View Post
yea. eheim though the high price. but its the best canister filter. but i heard models like pro 1 and 2 are made in china now. dunno how true.
Old 15-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #37
reaverx

Quote:
yea. eheim though the high price. but its the best canister filter. but i heard models like pro 1 and 2 are made in china now. dunno how true.
omg ..... better be sure its made in germany b4 buying
Old 16-01-2009, 03:10 AM   #38
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
hmm.. i believe i know how actived carbon works. they suck extra nutrients and even nutrients that we dose in tanks for plants. and since eheim carbon had such a surface area. i believe little amount of carbon would be enough.. but well. since you already buy liao. might as well use it hor. haha.. bookmark this thread liao. your scape better be as nice as your nano hor!

edit : JIG, my 2cents advice to you, if the chiller acctually cut down alot of flow, and since 2211 is only 300l/hr i think it would work better for both chiller and tank(in terms of higher flowrate = lesser dead spot = lesser algae growth) to upgrade to a 2213.
Wah, I stress liao.. So many people keep telling me the scape must be nice. Heh, But I promise I will try my best!

I was thinking about the flowrate before I started this project. I decided to give the 2211 a go because I already bought it some time back, if its not powerful enough, I'll save up and get a 2213. But my gut feeling is that it will be alright. We'll see how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaverx View Post
Yeah quite a bit. I saved up for a few months for this project, I decided that if I wanted to do this, lets do it the best I can with good equipment. All I can say that it was worth the wait! Good equipment really speak for themselves. haha.
Old 16-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #39
JadeIceGreen

Here is another update.

For my substrate, I decided to go pure ADA.

Base Substrate - Power Sand S.
Base Substrate Additives - Clear Super and Bacter 100.
Main Substrate - Aqua Soil Amazonia II
Top Substrate - Aqua Soil Amazonia II Powder.

Power Sand is first laid as the base substrate. The purpose of power sand is to encourage the growth of bacteria at the very base of your substrate. As we can't use a gravel cleaner without ripping out our beautiful foreground , the base substrate is ADA's solution to ensuring that organic waste is broken down by these bacteria and retaken up by the plants roots as food.

Clear Super and Bacter 100 is then sprinkled upon the Power Sand.
They basically help to maintain the substrate in a good condition over an extended period of time by supporting microorganisms to flourish.

Old 16-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #40
JadeIceGreen

Aqua Soil Amazonia II is then added and top with Aqua Soil Amazonia II Powder.

All in all, I must say that I'm very impressive by ADA substrate. I've used other Japanese brands before and ADA comes across as the most natural. It is almost believable that they went to the river and scoop the substrate out and pack for you as the grain size are all different with different types of stuff inside too. I see natural stones, and other natural stuff that I dun know the identity of, exactly what you would find by scooping up soil right by the river side.

The soil was also easy to scape and push around, even when I placed my heavy main stone over the Aqua Soil Powder, none of them broke apart. So at this point, really top marks from me. But the true test comes later at planting, initial water saturation and plant growth.

Stay tuned for the next update where I actually will start planting!