Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 19-02-2011, 02:56 AM   #51
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patson77 View Post
wow... jus by reading it i get impatient already. u really takes your time in planning and cultivating yr tank. haiz... Patience - a virtue iwhich i dont have
Patson, like EvoZ had mentioned, it's much more forgiving. With lack of experience, it may actually be a safer method for me. I cannot really believe it's just 1 month since I received the tank. It feels really slow - like 2 years had passed.
Alvin Koh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #52
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Koh View Post
Patson, like EvoZ had mentioned, it's much more forgiving. With lack of experience, it may actually be a safer method for me. I cannot really believe it's just 1 month since I received the tank. It feels really slow - like 2 years had passed.
wahahaha.. thats what happen when u do DSM! i guess only people who lots of tank can tahan DSM..

Btw, alvin, can see ur UG growing well.. are you growing US fissiden in ur DSM tank? if yes, remove ur fissiden... fissiden cant grow in emmersed condition.. tried it last time in my vivarium.. even moist also wont grow..
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #53
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
wahahaha.. thats what happen when u do DSM! i guess only people who lots of tank can tahan DSM..

Btw, alvin, can see ur UG growing well.. are you growing US fissiden in ur DSM tank? if yes, remove ur fissiden... fissiden cant grow in emmersed condition.. tried it last time in my vivarium.. even moist also wont grow..
Problem is, I only have another nano tank besides this, 1 more month to go. Hehehe..

EvoZ, thanks! I removed the US Fissiden immediately and placed them in my nano tank. Now there are 4 Fissiden rocks submerged. Even in the submerged state, it's really growing slowly, I guess that's the nature of the plant.
Old 19-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #54
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Koh View Post
Problem is, I only have another nano tank besides this, 1 more month to go. Hehehe..

EvoZ, thanks! I removed the US Fissiden immediately and placed them in my nano tank. Now there are 4 Fissiden rocks submerged. Even in the submerged state, it's really growing slowly, I guess that's the nature of the plant.
at least u got another nano leh.. i only got 1 tank. so i flooded it on day 1..

Welcome bro, used to keep loads of fissiden in the past.. and yes they are pretty slow growing..
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 01:38 AM   #55
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

Hi Alvin, nice update!!

for your UG, what form does it come in? the cub type? or need to specially order from aunty? care to share the pricing?

btw, for white flies problem, wonder if adding feeder frog for arowana a good choice?
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #56
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
for your UG, what form does it come in? the cub type? or need to specially
order from aunty? care to share the pricing?

btw, for white flies problem, wonder if adding feeder frog for arowana a good choice?
Hi fireblade,

I just ask Auntie to order for me and it comes free floating in a small plastic bag. All batches come with a varying amounts of contaminants (e.g. moss, algae, dirt, etc) My UG batches from C328 are as follows:

1) Free floating in bag (medium sized leaves) - Ordered
2) Free floating in cup container (tiny leaves) - Off the shelf
3) Free floating in bag (large sized leaves) - Ordered

I was surprised to see different leaf sizes from the new growth.
Notice that some of the new clusters of growth have tiny leaves that do not seem to grow as large as the others - I think these belong to the 2nd batch with tiny leaves. UG var. 'Dwarf' perhaps?? You can see this small-leafed cluster when comparing the 2 prominent clusters at the bottom of the attached image.

The largest lighter coloured leaves belong to the 3rd batch and are still undergoing transition thus not as deep in color. UG var. 'Gigas'??

I wonder if I will have a rojak UG lawn. Hehehe.

P.S. fireblade, I will PM you the pricing.

Old 21-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #57
jest1081
Dragon

great update! hair algaes love to grow on fissdens, then they spread like wild fire attaching emselves to hc. just my humble opinion dont be too generous with the use of fissidens.
jest1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #58
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest1081 View Post
hair algaes love to grow on fissdens, then they spread like wild fire attaching emselves to hc. just my humble opinion dont be too generous with the use of fissidens.
Thanks jest1081 for the advice.
I may end up using very little US Fissidens afterall because it may be too dark in terms of color. Will have to wait for the planted rocks to fill up before I can finalise what I like.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #59
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Week 6 (6 March 2011)

Photo updates of the progress. The plants in the tank seem very stable now with very unnoticeable browning/melting. I would consider the plants to be in emerged rather than emersed stage now as there is very little water especially on the slopes. I mist/water the plants up to a few times a day and suction the excess water out after each misting. I still cover the tank with the plastic sheet to maintain humidity.

The insects in my tank were incorrectly identified as white flies - they are Springtails (Collembola) and since they do not affect the plants, I leave them alone.

I also noticed unwanted Utricularia Gibba in my tank and removed them over the course of a few days manually with tweezers. I found about 20 strands intertwined with my U. Graminifolia. It's been about a week since I saw any recurrence but I am still keeping my guard up as they will be much more difficult to remove after filling up the tank.

Utricularia graminifolia
Observed growth rate - medium
The 2nd picture shows a UG plantlet on the third day - after a tiny white strand first appeared against the glass three days ago.

Hemianthus callitrichoides 'cuba'
Observed growth rate - Fast!

Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica'
Observed growth rate: Moderately fast

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis (If identified correctly)
Observed growth rate: Slow

Singapore Moss - Vesicularia dubyana
(if identified correctly)Observed growth rate: medium

Anubias barteri var. nana 'Golden'
Observed growth rate: Medium

---------------------------------

Side & front view

Old 06-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #60
alvloh

Nice update bro...I really doubt I'll have this kind of patient to plant it like your way...

Just being curious, do you wait till all the plants are fully spread and matured before adding water? How long will u estimated it will take?

When I 1st brought the hairgrass for my tank, i bought it from seaview and was told by a friend these are considered "dry" and yet soak in water...bought another batch from Kranji and was "wet" and already soak in water before when I brought it....

My Question is you planted the plants dry and later added water into the tank after they had grown n matured....will they survived the changes in condition?

Sorry for my nobies question...just being curious....
Dun really know if this is a right question....