Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 16-08-2011, 12:33 AM   #31
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovel View Post
impressive tank!
Thanks bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric9013 View Post
Bro, did I missed u mentioning yr tank size? Anyway u mentioned low tech which mean that u are not using a chiller for your plant and no heater for your discus, could u share how do you maintain a high temp for your dicus and a low temp for your plant, as what I see discus need 28degree to be heathy and moss need 25 degree to flourish?? Any trick to balance both Thks
Hi bro, tank size is 422. i maintain temp at 27-28C using a single fan.. my Xmas moss is able to flourish and the discus are doing well as well.. so far 2 breeding pairs inside already.. the only problem im facing with keeping discus in planted tank is unable to maintain high flow in the tank. i use to have Fluval FX5 + 3000l/hr wavemaker inside the tank and that kept my tank free from algae(except for algae on the glass walls) since the high flowrate made my tank free from dead spots. and also spreads the co2 output evenly.

But due to the fact that discus dislike high flowrate, i can only make do with a single Fx5 now which barely flow though the tank fast enough... thus, most of my wood which is not covered with moss are now covered with BBA.. many of my plants are starting to get infested by that.. my co2 level is also not well distributed among the tank.. Thus, decided to let go discus and may try out altums instead.. kept angel fish in my 422 before and they are fine with the wavemaker inside..
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #32
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
Thanks bro.

Hi bro, tank size is 422. i maintain temp at 27-28C using a single fan.. my Xmas moss is able to flourish and the discus are doing well as well.. so far 2 breeding pairs inside already.. the only problem im facing with keeping discus in planted tank is unable to maintain high flow in the tank. i use to have Fluval FX5 + 3000l/hr wavemaker inside the tank and that kept my tank free from algae(except for algae on the glass walls) since the high flowrate made my tank free from dead spots. and also spreads the co2 output evenly.

But due to the fact that discus dislike high flowrate, i can only make do with a single Fx5 now which barely flow though the tank fast enough... thus, most of my wood which is not covered with moss are now covered with BBA.. many of my plants are starting to get infested by that.. my co2 level is also not well distributed among the tank.. Thus, decided to let go discus and may try out altums instead.. kept angel fish in my 422 before and they are fine with the wavemaker inside..
Bro, keep us updated! I'm also thinking of angel fish for a 4x1.5x1.5 hardscape. Good to know more! Thanks in advance!
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #33
Planted

I have so much more to learn from u!!! i like this setup!!
Old 16-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #34
Planted

Bro, any possibilty of algae removal fishes like otto/snails and yamato shrimps?
Old 17-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #35
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Bro, keep us updated! I'm also thinking of angel fish for a 4x1.5x1.5 hardscape. Good to know more! Thanks in advance!
Sure will bro, cant wait to see altums swimming in my tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planted View Post
I have so much more to learn from u!!! i like this setup!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planted View Post
Bro, any possibilty of algae removal fishes like otto/snails and yamato shrimps?
Thanks bro, i doubt algae cleaners will be able to solve my problem.. better to find the root of the source instead.
Old 22-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #36
Sunday
Dragon

What a beautiful tank! I've always been an admirer of JIG's and this tank. I also have a 4x2x2. Thinking of selling all my livestock and OHF to start it up as a planted tank. But don't dare cos' i have absolutely no experience with plants and don't know where to start. So for now i watch.
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #37
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
What a beautiful tank! I've always been an admirer of JIG's and this tank. I also have a 4x2x2. Thinking of selling all my livestock and OHF to start it up as a planted tank. But don't dare cos' i have absolutely no experience with plants and don't know where to start. So for now i watch.
Thanks bro! you should give it a try! read more and start a thread in planted section to ask any questions, im sure many bros are willing to help.
Old 24-08-2011, 12:49 AM   #38
Sunday
Dragon

Been reading the whole day! Prefer to read up as much as possible before asking questions. Current problem would definitely be the money. Chillers aren't cheap and neither are canisters. Will hang around and read up more. Dream tank boy, thanks!
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #39
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
Been reading the whole day! Prefer to read up as much as possible before asking questions. Current problem would definitely be the money. Chillers aren't cheap and neither are canisters. Will hang around and read up more. Dream tank boy, thanks!
Hey bro, don't give up this dream just because of money! it can be done with low budget as well.. well, im just 18 this year and likewise, i don't have so much cash to burn. the tank i got it for $50, filter was around $150.. lighting was around $50, soil $100+ and the rest are pretty cheap.. just have to source for 2nd hand stuff which most of my items are... i don't have that ability to get 1st hand if i were to go this big.. chillers are not needed for planted tank.. i use a single dymax small fan to chill my tank to 28C..
Old 29-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #40
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

an update on my tank, with altum angels in it..